The premier league is null and void thread, what next?

Jareth

20 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The more I think about it the only way for this to work is to scrap the league. Just void it. 

If you are to delay the 10 matches, like OBE says, to maintain the same squads summer transfers have to be unavailable. Then the relegated clubs will have to sell key assets to survive, and what club will pay £ 50 - 100 million for Grealish and let him play 10 matches for us afterwards. Just won't happen. 

Two promotions, no relegations, no European footy, and compensation to the playoff teams? 

Clubs would argue that it still wouldn't be fair because we haven't all played the same fixtures.

I can't see how the PL will start again in 3 weeks time. It's not as if the risk will be any less in such a short time period. All it would take is for 1 player to be diagnosed and it'll descend further in to chaos.

26 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But if it gets voided who gets cl spots? The same clubs as this year or current placements? Leicester wolves and sheff United won’t be happy with either will United. That’s why I don’t think it will be voided

There's no solution to this that everyone will be happy with. But if we can't finish the season then it has to be voided surely. It's the only sensible solution. 

• Like 1

End the season and maybe put all teams in a pre-season tournament to win the European spots and could play it somewhere in Dubai or Saudi Arabia. I wouldnt be surprised if this money grabbing scheme hasnt been floated yet

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

End the season and maybe put all teams in a pre-season tournament to win the European spots and could play it somewhere in Dubai or Saudi Arabia. I wouldnt be surprised if this money grabbing scheme hasnt been floated yet

It will be something like this I guess. A relegation league and a promotion league for Championship maybe aswell. 

talking about fairness, there’s no way they can make a decision on what most likely would have happened.

most sensible options to me are

1. null and void season. maybe next season Villa will be even more shit and maybe next season Liverpool would actually be unbeaten. Liverpool get to be an asterisk team if they really want to, who gives a ****.

2. Cancel EFL Cup for 20/21 and carry over missing 9 or so fixtures in all leagues. Season 19/20 ends with 2 week break and we’re into 20/21 with only league and FA Cup games to schedule.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

I don’t mind Villa coming to Saudi, actually could be a good idea to get the PL somewhere here. But I just don’t want the season to go through. We have 6 home games, we’ll not have the advantage of our fans even its in VP behind closed doors.

Was flicking through the channels at lunchtime and was surprised Football focus was still on. They had an interview with Brighton CEO.

Interesting when they asked him about no relegation this season and promote the top 2 from the championship he was pretty enthused about that suggestion.

Can see that at least being put forward as a proposal in April or whenever the next crisis summit will take place so would be 22 team league and 5 would go down although no idea how you could re-align the schedule if this season overruns as now is a near certainty.

Can see prem doing it if as rumoured Bundesliga decides to reshape the league along those lines.

I learned today just how desperate to play the game in hand Sheffield utd fans are

They think they'll beat us go 5th and get the CL place vacated by man City 

The idea of that game, we win we stay up, they win they get CL is a pretty good one but you can easily argue the circumstances of such a fixture, assuming played as a 1 off in about 2 months time, completely changes the nature of the tie

Intersstingly we win that game and stay up, arsenal beat City in their game (dead rubber for City) and Sheffield would get no European football at all... 

I think European places is the hardest thing to agree, spurs and arsenal getting in at the expense of Leicester and Sheffield is bollocks and screams elitism 

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was flicking through the channels at lunchtime and was surprised Football focus was still on. They had an interview with Brighton CEO.

Interesting when they asked him about no relegation this season and promote the top 2 from the championship he was pretty enthused about that suggestion.

Can see that at least being put forward as a proposal in April or whenever the next crisis summit will take place so would be 22 team league and 5 would go down although no idea how you could re-align the schedule if this season overruns as now is a near certainty.

Can see prem doing it if as rumoured Bundesliga decides to reshape the league along those lines.

Completely agree but we have the PL / EFL problem that other countries don't have

I don't see the EFL giving up their 2 biggest teams with no replacements

And the trickle down the leagues isn't as clear cut

Edited by villa4europe

I'm sort of against it aswell. If you declare a champion surely you have to have some teams go down aswell so no relegation wouldn't sit comfortably with me even if it involves us. Guess premier league could start inventing rules like points beyond reasonable doubt or something e.g. if there's more than 10 points different team wins the league or makes CL or something so means no one gets relegated that way.

Ultimately as the weeks pass some proposal will have to be knocked up and it certainly won't please everyone. Ultimately whatever they do they'll try to minimise any court action so given a team will win the league, no one will go down and two teams will still go up that seems the best bet especially if another major league does it themselves first.

6 hours ago, blunther said:

A lot of talk about relegation and the like (obviously since we're down there) but that game in hand for Sheffield United could put them in a champions League spot if the Man City ban stands. Arsenal also a game in hand away from a Europa League spot. I've no idea how you could fairly sort that out...

Think premier league will be secretly hoping no european competitions are played next season.Would make life easier. I could see it actually. Still got lots of this season to run given it's not even the quarter final stage and most of europe will be too hot to play games in June and July e.g. Sevilla still in europa.

Very little chance you could play as normal next season when you think the qualifiers start in early July for CL so would have to be reduced competition, no group stage and straight to knock out rounds perhaps, you know like the good old days.

Or you get the leagues out of the way and then play out the rest of the year with the euros and CLEuropa on their own but would still mean the schedule would be way out of sync.

17 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

as someone who has been involved with football at many levels , trust me the Fa are anal , somewhere buried deep i believe there will be a rule for abondonment of the league.What that would be i have no idea

I’ve read that if 75% of games have been completed they can end a season as it is and the position as they are can remain. Anything below 75% and the league has to be voided. With 4 teams (including us) on 28 games apparently that is just below the marker 

• Like 2

I can understand giving the title to Liverpool because it’s near enough theirs. I don’t understand the Leeds/Baggies coming up scenario. They are hardly pissing their leagues and are in very catchable positions. Their is no way they could be fairly promoted about teams in playoff positions. 

null and void is the only reasonable answer. It would be fair for all prem team to vote on awarding the title to Liverpool in such circumstances. 

null and void makes it cleaner for a summer break, transfer window and next seasons calendar. The remaining complications would be for European spaces. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve read that if 75% of games have been completed they can end a season as it is and the position as they are can remain. Anything below 75% and the league has to be voided. With 4 teams (including us) on 28 games apparently that is just below the marker 

I think in another thread someone said that isnt a PL rule,  only applies to youth football or something

• Thanks 1

Playoffs for europe and relegation wouldnt work. Norwich, who sit bottom currently, could mathematically finish on 48 points, putting them 5th. Leicester, in 3rd can still mathematically go down. 

Playoffs would effectively mean the whole league being repeated anyway.

Null and void. **** liverpool, **** leeds and **** west brom. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villa_shere said:

I can understand giving the title to Liverpool because it’s near enough theirs. I don’t understand the Leeds/Baggies coming up scenario. They are hardly pissing their leagues and are in very catchable positions. Their is no way they could be fairly promoted about teams in playoff positions. 

null and void is the only reasonable answer. It would be fair for all prem team to vote on awarding the title to Liverpool in such circumstances. 

null and void makes it cleaner for a summer break, transfer window and next seasons calendar. The remaining complications would be for European spaces. 

This for me.

Some teams are going to p1ssed off no matter what decision is reached, at least hopefully (with Euros put back to 2021) we may be able to have a non-disruptive 20/21 season.

First (and last) time I will agree with Karen Brady. 

I would feel like this regardless of Villa's position.

Â