The premier league is null and void thread, what next?

Jareth

14 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Are you sure about that? All major tournaments are in the summer months.

And for a "winter sport" an awful lot of games get called off when the winter months arrive!

It's a sport that takes place during the winter months. Like Rugby.

As opposed to Cricket, that takes place in the summer months, which is a summer sport

51 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As opposed to Cricket, that takes place in the summer months, which is a summer sport

I agree cricket is a summer sport, but football can (and is) played all year round. 

I don't know anything about rugby though so can't comment on that

When you say "winter sport", to me that says you need winter conditions to play it eg Skiing or bobsleigh - Football is definitely not a winter sport

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I agree cricket is a summer sport, but football can (and is) played all year round. 

I don't know anything about rugby though so can't comment on that

When you say "winter sport", to me that says you need winter conditions to play it eg Skiing or bobsleigh - Football is definitely not a winter sport

No you don't need winter conditions. It's a sport that is traditionally played in the winter months. 

I guess it's an old fashioned concept, but I'm sure with TV dictating a lot of the schedules, they won't be keen on moving their most lucrative sport away from the winter months to overlap and take viewers away from summer sports, like cricket.

Its something that would be done Europe wide to tie in with the European competitions, seeing as they don't play Cricket anywhere else in Europe I doubt that would be a consideration.

Some countries like Russia have their off season in the winter already

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

Its something that would be done Europe wide to tie in with the European competitions, seeing as they don't play Cricket anywhere else in Europe I doubt that would be a consideration.

Some countries like Russia have their off season in the winter already

Yeah but they have other summer sports.

And Russia have their off season in the winter because the winter months in parts of russia make football impossible.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah but they have other summer sports.

And Russia have their off season in the winter because the winter months in parts of russia make football impossible.

Which is exactly why I was saying its not a "winter sport" at the start of the debate ;) Also loads of games get called off throughout Europe due to winter conditions that then have to be rescheduled.

Think it would just make sense, rather than waiting over half a year to start a new season (in the scenario where lockdown lasts until after summer and this season still needs finishing), plus with a winter world cup coming up just makes sense to me

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Xela said:

How about penalty shoot outs to decide the remaining games? Could sort it out in a few days then

Imagine the pressure and how tense that would be! 

No point practicing of course as you can't recreate that pressure.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Er what about Rugby League that moved to the summer on the whim of  a rich Australian?

I would be open to unique summer season at B6 as it is bloody freezing most of the time I watch Villa!

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Er what about Rugby League that moved to the summer on the whim of  a rich Australian?

I would be open to unique summer season at B6 as it is bloody freezing most of the time I watch Villa!

Rugby League isn't football. Like I said, it's the most lucrative sport. I don't think the TV companies will be wanting it to be moved to the summer. 

Plus Summer competitions like the world cup and the euros would have to switch to the winter.

Cricket can be played up until early October and clubs like Worcester who have their ground flooded several times this year are struggle to survive if little or no cricket is played. The French open in tennis will have to be cancelled. Can they delay Wimbledon? I assume the atp tour season will have to make way for the slam events. Don't know why they are announcing most sports cancelled until early april as theres zero chance of them continuing for at least 3 months. I felt all along they will want to finish this football season and cancelling the euros gives them an extra window there. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I am coming around that if they void the league, i would happily give Liverpool the title if Leeds arent allowed come up. Arrogant pricks

They deserve it. They'd have to lose every game and City would have to win every game for them to lose the title. Even Villa wouldn't go on an 9 game losing streak.

• Like 1

Every sport that has a summer calendar apart from cricket which has always been summer for obvious reasons, has done so to compete for bored footy fans.  

Moving the footy season would kill other sports.  

Covid-19 will kill alot of football clubs too if it gets too bad you could see a massive restructuring of the leagues.  It's ok them saying we have to finish the leagues but you cannot do that without clubs and players.

Could be survival of the fittest with the professional leagues shrinking.

Â