The premier league is null and void thread, what next?

Jareth

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

What they can do for the CL places if void is havw liverpool and 3rd place team (as city are banned) go in cl automically.

Then the final two spots the highest four clubs gk in a two leg play off with bith winners getting the finam cl spots

Hard to draw the line, there's no obvious gap. Arsenal in 9th could be in 7th above Sheffield Utd if they played their games in hand.

Edited by fightoffyour

6 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I'm not saying it's highly unrealistic, I'm saying it's impossible.

£10 to VT if you can show me a set of results that causes Leicester to be relegated.

The absolute maximum points a team could be relegated in, from a new season, would be 57, if every team won and lost 19 matches (e.g. won all home and lost all away games, for the simplest combination) and the entire league was determined by goal difference. Once there have been any draws then there are fewer points in total distributed among the teams and that maximum reduces.

Edit: working above not quite correct, but on the right track. One worst team could lose every game and 2nd bottom lose all but to 20th, etc. The max is 64 points to be possibly relegated.

Wow, impressed with your maths, fair play. Got that wrong obviously but the general point of many teams could still be mathematically relegated remains the same.

• Thanks 1

This will have to be decided at a continental level really, as we will need to fit around international matches (if there are any), the rearranged Euros, and continental transfer windows. So I would expect that ultimately our fate lies in UEFA's hands.

One thing is for sure, the premier league will act in its own self interest. Premier League PLC is entirely owned by the 20 prem clubs of any given season and they are under no obligation to throw a life line to the Championship clubs if that hurts the current premier league clubs.

My guess is the prem will seek to finish the season so long as it can be done in good time before the start of the new season, so as to fulfil this years TV contracts without having to reimburse rights holders. They will have insurance for this but they will still be extremely out of pocket. If the season cannot be finished fairly before the planned start of the new season I think the prem would prefer to void the season and start next season clean, so as to not affect next years TV contracts, which they will be desperate to run normally after all this upheaval. 

I can’t see a 22 / 23 team league or similar - all this would do is water down the share of the TV rights for the existing teams, which would be entirely against the interests of the existing teams / shareholders. 

• Like 2

Finishing the season, if this is how it is to be, has to be done whilst keeping the integrity of the competition in tact.

I've read that West Ham (and Spurs, I believe) have stadium commitments, so it's entirely possible they'll have nowhere to play. Also possible that behind closed doors games could be pushed forward as an option. Could you imagine a potential winner stays up game, between West Ham and Villa on the final day. Being played with no fans. At a neutral stadium. Farcical.

Cancellation of the season and nothing awarded to anyone is the fairest way. The season isn't over so nobody is entitled to anything. I could see PL clubs voting in favour of Liverpool getting the title, and I wouldn't be completely opposed to that.

• Like 1

It's always annoyed me how the season covers 2 years, think its a perfect opportunity to run it all in one calendar year from March - December like it should have been from the start.

No winter break, but maybe a summer break of 3 weeks so people with season tickets etc can still have a holiday. 

I would have the next season to start in March 2021, in the meantime finish this season off from September - November. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Do you have a source for that?

I don't think "intention" is the right word. It seems it's an option (one of several) being discussed during a conference tomorrow

A mini-tournament to decide the Champions League and Europa League will be one option put forward to ease fixture congestion caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

European football's governing body, Uefa, is hosting a video conference with major stakeholders on Tuesday.

Euro 2020 is set to be postponed to allow league seasons to be completed.

More on link

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Junxs said:

It's always annoyed me how the season covers 2 years, think its a perfect opportunity to run it all in one calendar year from March - December like it should have been from the start.

No winter break, but maybe a summer break of 3 weeks so people with season tickets etc can still have a holiday. 

I would have the next season to start in March 2021, in the meantime finish this season off from September - November. 

It's a winter sport so I doubt that will change

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

It seems the intention is to finish the season and hold mini-tournaments to complete the champions league and Europa league

It might be the selfish point of view motivated by money however hopefully morality and common sense prevails.

I just can't see how this domestic season can finish, it'll be at least a month til this plateus then how long do players need to get match fit? Then we're into contract ending time....I just don't see it happening. Season must be cancelled.

13 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Cancellation of the season and nothing awarded to anyone is the fairest way. The season isn't over so nobody is entitled to anything. I could see PL clubs voting in favour of Liverpool getting the title, and I wouldn't be completely opposed to that.

Am I right in thinking only Man City can catch Liverpool? If Citeh conceded then surely Liverpool would be crowned champions. 

No way of sorting out relegation though. 

How about penalty shoot outs to decide the remaining games? Could sort it out in a few days then

Imagine the pressure and how tense that would be! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Am I right in thinking only Man City can catch Liverpool? If Citeh conceded then surely Liverpool would be crowned champions. 

No way of sorting out relegation though. 

We just need 3 teams to concede and we can stay up. Ashley will be one just to piss Newcastle fans off, probably trick Ed Woodward to thinking its a good move and maybe let Arsenal know it will be even more cost efficient in the Championship for them ;)

We are the ultimate problem in all of this with the game in hand. Simply we could just promote and relegate based on our positions now as much as I hate to admit to it.... although for me the best thing will be to cancel this season and start again next season. Dont forget players fitness, momentum, contracts etc all factors they complicate it even further...  But with our game in hand they cant really do that as we could quite easily get out of it. Would it be a suggestion we play Sheff United so we are all equal on games and go from there? Otherwise i dont see any other way round it without mass arguments or legal action of some sort.

WBA fans were suggesting the fans predict the scores of all the remaining games.... I mean are they thick or something.... oh they are.. sorry. I would literally have Liverpool to lose every game 5-0 ffs lol 😆

This all of course if the worst happens and we cant fit the rest of the season in.

Edited by leighavfc

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It might be the selfish point of view motivated by money however hopefully morality and common sense prevails.

I just can't see how this domestic season can finish, it'll be at least a month til this plateus then how long do players need to get match fit? Then we're into contract ending time....I just don't see it happening. Season must be cancelled.

Obviously it will be decided in advance when tge season can restarted so players having time to get fit is a non issue. Contracts I dunno. But I think there’s too many issues with the season being made null and void after 3/4 has been finished. If it was 10 games played yes no problem. 

Edited by PaulC

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's a winter sport so I doubt that will change

Are you sure about that? All major tournaments are in the summer months.

And for a "winter sport" an awful lot of games get called off when the winter months arrive!

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Football and Rugby are definitely a winter sport. Imagine the uproar with the exception of Klopp if no Christmas fixtures

I know, those Brazilians thrive in icy conditions! 

Football is a sport traditionally played played in September - May, but it is not a winter sport.

If the season happened April - January, that would not affect the game whatsoever, other than a typical sports calendar. 

Â