The premier league is null and void thread, what next?

Jareth

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

If the season finishes much later I wonder if the transfer window will open before the end of the season? Could be a lifeline for us *clutches straws very tightly* 

It would be too complicated with players currently on loan, teams uncertain of their league position status etc

4 minutes ago, villa_shere said:

It would be too complicated with players currently on loan, teams uncertain of their league position status etc

That’s a good point, loans usually run to a date. Current loans will expire before the end of the season if it is extended. What a mess.

23 hours ago, rbcuk said:

If it gets cancelled, have to improve a fair few positions, central midfielder who can actually tackle, left back, a winger and another striker a minimum 

A winger?? and one midfielder??, sorry but I'd replace all the F'ing Wingers and Midfielders with there performances apart from Jack and John.

29 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

A winger?? and one midfielder??, sorry but I'd replace all the F'ing Wingers and Midfielders with there performances apart from Jack and John.

Forgot to add a central defender aswell 😄

I genuinely don’t see how any promotion/relegation can happen without finishing the season. 
Let’s say, they decide to bring prem up to 22 teams by promoting Leeds and Albion, surely they would be an argument that those aren’t clear in the league and could easily be caught. Then it would be going down through the leagues and whether they’d all be promoted from the same position as well. It would be a nightmare.

For me the only way possible is to keep all leagues same. That would mean all European football  for one season cancelled. 

• Like 1

Any major decisions have to get the backing of 14 of the Premier League clubs. Time is the problem. If we cannot have any football until September it probably will be a problem to finish the season, but sensible decisions must be made. 3/4 of the season has been completed after all. 

18 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Playoffs for europe and relegation wouldnt work. Norwich, who sit bottom currently, could mathematically finish on 48 points, putting them 5th. Leicester, in 3rd can still mathematically go down. 

Playoffs would effectively mean the whole league being repeated anyway.

Null and void. **** liverpool, **** leeds and **** west brom. 

Well Norwich wouldn't be 5th if they finished the season on 48 points, that's for sure. I can't be bothered to do the calculations but you seem to be assuming that 0 points are distributed in the other fixtures. I'll also confidently claim that it's mathematically impossible for Leicester to be relegated, but feel free to prove me wrong.

36 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I genuinely don’t see how any promotion/relegation can happen without finishing the season. 
Let’s say, they decide to bring prem up to 22 teams by promoting Leeds and Albion, surely they would be an argument that those aren’t clear in the league and could easily be caught. Then it would be going down through the leagues and whether they’d all be promoted from the same position as well. It would be a nightmare.

For me the only way possible is to keep all leagues same. That would mean all European football  for one season cancelled. 

I don't know how true it is, but I've read a few times that EFL clubs are 'invited' to the Premier League, and there's technically no "earned" promotion (more of an unwritten rule that 1,+2+PO winner go up). If the PL want to invite Leeds and WBA, then it's nothing to do with Fulham.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Well Norwich wouldn't be 5th if they finished the season on 48 points, that's for sure. I can't be bothered to do the calculations but you seem to be assuming that 0 points are distributed in the other fixtures. I'll also confidently claim that it's mathematically impossible for Leicester to be relegated, but feel free to prove me wrong.

I know its highly unrealistic, but if leicester lose all of their games etc....

Swedish Ice Hockey federation has just decided to end the season.

No teams are relegated, no teams are promoted, no play off will be played and no title will be awarded. This goes for all divisions 

It's pretty hard to swallow for example for Luleå who did pretty much what Liverpool have done and completely dominated the league, they get nothing. Same with the 2 clubs in the division below who had record breaking seasons but will now not get promoted. They are missing out on tons of money.

It's tough beans but it's probably the way to go.

26 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I know its highly unrealistic, but if leicester lose all of their games etc....

I'm not saying it's highly unrealistic, I'm saying it's impossible.

£10 to VT if you can show me a set of results that causes Leicester to be relegated.

The absolute maximum points a team could be relegated in, from a new season, would be 57, if every team won and lost 19 matches (e.g. won all home and lost all away games, for the simplest combination) and the entire league was determined by goal difference. Once there have been any draws then there are fewer points in total distributed among the teams and that maximum reduces.

Edit: working above not quite correct, but on the right track. One worst team could lose every game and 2nd bottom lose all but to 20th, etc. The max is 64 points to be possibly relegated.

Edited by fightoffyour

3 hours ago, PaulC said:

Any major decisions have to get the backing of 14 of the Premier League clubs. Time is the problem. If we cannot have any football until September it probably will be a problem to finish the season, but sensible decisions must be made. 3/4 of the season has been completed after all. 

I suspect when it comes to it, giving Liverpool the title and scrapping relegation would get the votes, as would adding Leeds and West Brom most likely.  The parachute payments could get given to the rest of the Championship to soften the blow for the likes of Fulham.  That just leaves the European qualification which is a bit tougher.  Some sort of play off competition would make most sense, conveniently done abroad for the most money.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I suspect when it comes to it, giving Liverpool the title and scrapping relegation would get the votes, as would adding Leeds and West Brom most likely.  The parachute payments could get given to the rest of the Championship to soften the blow for the likes of Fulham.  That just leaves the European qualification which is a bit tougher.  Some sort of play off competition would make most sense, conveniently done abroad for the most money.

Why would Leeds and Baggies be given promotion? There’s a quarter or the season to play and both teams have shown signs of terrible runs of form. It would be grossly unfair on Fulham, Brentford, Forrest. 

42 minutes ago, villa_shere said:

Why would Leeds and Baggies be given promotion? There’s a quarter or the season to play and both teams have shown signs of terrible runs of form. It would be grossly unfair on Fulham, Brentford, Forrest. 

Exactly. It's just madness.

Leeds were 2nd last season at this stage. Derby and Villa weren't even in playoff spots. A lot can happen in 9 games.

Leeds were actually on more points at this stage last season, and managed to F it up. 

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, villa_shere said:

It'll most likely be down to self-interest and getting enough votes through rather than any real attempt to be fair.  After all I don't think there is any way of resolving this in a truly fair way.  City would probably concede the title and use the goodwill to try and overturn/reduce the European ban.  There are loads of teams looking over their shoulder at relegation who would happily see it scrapped and take just about any sort of deal.  Getting promoted when the possibility that 4 or 5 teams might get relegated the next season if they make a 22 team league might mean a bit of a dodged bullet for the teams in the playoff positions, cushioned with the share of the parachute payments.  This is all theoretical though and just one of the options out of a bunch of bad ones.

58 minutes ago, villa_shere said:

Fairer than making the season null and void when 3/4 of it has been played 

What they can do for the CL places if void is havw liverpool and 3rd place team (as city are banned) go in cl automically.

Then the final two spots the highest four clubs gk in a two leg play off with bith winners getting the finam cl spots

Â