Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

Not really sure why footballers are getting slaughtered so much. I am sure if the clubs (prem clubs at least) had gone to them and said we need your help to keep paying the non playing staff whilst this is going on they would have all been happy enough to chip in on a pro-rata basis.

Not even sure that would be possible any further down the leagues as i imagine there will be a good chunk of players themselves being furloughed / let go. There are plenty of other people earning a shitload of money out there that nobody is saying anything about and factories/banks/shops/pubs will be furloughing day to day staff by the million with plenty of higher ups still on full pay.

Have the BBC furloughed the hundreds of staff that are usually in the background on the news? is the person they are paying a million quid a year to read a teleprompter getting forced into a 30% pay cut and publically shamed? Still paying Lineker? what about the match of the day cameraman/production staff?

Edited by LakotaDakota

44 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Have the BBC furloughed the hundreds of staff that are usually in the background on the news? is the person they are paying a million quid a year to read a teleprompter getting forced into a 30% pay cut and publically shamed? Still paying Lineker? what about the match of the day cameraman/production staff?

That person is still working though. 

Lineker was saying why aren't the bankers taking a 30% pay cut. Simple reason Gary, the bankers are still working full time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Together they might be a billionaire. Your net worth is closer to Messi than Messi net worth is to a billionaire 

Messi is highest paid footballer on a list I saw of athletes in 2020 so used him as an example

Dollars, not sure what the exchange rate is to £ thou.

Cristiano Ronaldo Agrees To Juventus Wage Cut, Still On Track To Become First $1 Billion Footballer This Season

Last year, the Portuguese striker earned $109 million, including $65 million in salary and bonus, to rank as the world’s second-highest-paid footballer and among the best-paid athletes in all sports. As Forbes outlined last week, even at the reported 30% pay cut under consideration by all Serie A clubs, Ronaldo could see a $20 million paycut and would still earn an estimated $46 million annual paycheck—an amount greater than the total earnings (salary, bonus and endorsements) of all players in the world except his rival Lionel Messi at Barcelona and Neymar at Paris Saint-Germain.

With the additional $45 million he makes as a walking billboard, pitching products head to toe for the likes of Nike and his CR7 line of underwear, footwear and cologne, Ronaldo can still earn $91 million annually to retain his standing among the best-paid in all of sports, and still become the third active athlete to crack the $1 billion mark in career earnings at the end of this season. Tiger Woods was the first to do so in 2009, 13 years into his professional career, followed by boxer Floyd Mayweather in 2017.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christinasettimi/2020/03/29/cristiano-ronaldo-agrees-to-juventus-wage-cut-but-still-on-track-to-become-first-1-billion-footballer-this-season/#404af0e6718c

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Other than being against contractual law... 

Eastenders isn't currently being filmed, wheres the front page story about Ian beales pay cut? 

Guess future contracts will include clauses about no football because of contagious deseases 

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Guess future contracts will include clauses about no football because of contagious deseases 

Surprised they don't have some sort of force majeuere clause in already

1 in a 100 year virus maybe not specified but I'd have thought there would be generic descriptions of events out of the clubs control that would result in them not having to pay the players, war being the obvious one 

14 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Not really sure why footballers are getting slaughtered so much. I am sure if the clubs (prem clubs at least) had gone to them and said we need your help to keep paying the non playing staff whilst this is going on they would have all been happy enough to chip in on a pro-rata basis.

I don't know if the footballers are slaughtered so much. 

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it all started with Hancock suggesting that players should take a pay cut to save clubs when asked about this during a daily briefing. He didn't present legislation, he didn't say PL should implement measures, he didn't say players are greedy or anything of the like. He simply answered a question, maybe too personally rather than politically.

This opened up a media debate where there are two major camps; a) FA/PL should reduce wages of players OR b) it would be nice if players gave some of their wages back to their staff.

This in turn resulted in people like Linker or Rooney going on a rant about how players are slaughtered. I don't think they are (but let me play a small, tiny violin for them just in case).

Footballers are simply popular, no one will be talking about reducing the wages of the HSBC directors or of Golf players. These are simply not popular figures.

Anyone think Rooney might retire? He's clearly not happy and probably thinking if he has to take a pay cut its not worth his trouble to not play football for a measly £40k or £50k a week.

50 minutes ago, Genie said:

Anyone think Rooney might retire? He's clearly not happy and probably thinking if he has to take a pay cut its not worth his trouble to not play football for a measly £40k or £50k a week.

I could only care enough to say I don't care about Wayne ******* Rooney 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I think he is spot on

agree with all of that

it sounds like the discussions now are that the players agree to give up some pay but they want control over where it goes, proof that it goes to the NHS etc rather than the owners making huge profits still, again I agree with that too

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

I think he is spot on

agree with all of that

it sounds like the discussions now are that the players agree to give up some pay but they want control over where it goes, proof that it goes to the NHS etc rather than the owners making huge profits still, again I agree with that too

Rooney is right, footballers shouldn't be singled out. Are they now not allowed to spend or have a lifestyle that matches their income for fear they might be asked to give some back? Its madness. Footballers already give a fortune to the UK government via taxes. Why should they be asked for even more?

Remember the campaign few years ago where footballers were asked to donate a days pay to nurses? It was wrong then too, they pay millions in tax already which pays for a lot of nurses.

• Like 1

Â