Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

did anyone say breakaway European super league?

UEFA need to be careful with how big they think their stick is

13 hours ago, sne said:

You can bet that the lawyers for the G-14 clubs are working overtime to find any loophole they can use during this crisis to break away and start their beloved Super League.

We've done this conversation before, but the purpose of the 'European Super League' is to be a lever to allow the richest clubs in each country to force concessions out of their respective Football Associations. It's not a real thing that's going to happen (and if it were, it would take years of negotiation, negotiation which won't be possible any time soon).

really enjoyed reading this earlier, completely agree with it

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/03/raheem-sterling-coronavirus-matt-hancock-premier-league-footballers

One of the great rules of British public life is that sooner or later, everything ends up being blamed on footballers. No matter how alien our new world looked at the start of the coronavirus shutdown, you could say one thing for sure: eventually, this will be the fault of Raheem Sterling...

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We should also be ashamed of ourselves if we do

Meh. This is the reality of the world we live in now. There's no money coming in, and football clubs are not known for their large rainy-day funds.

There are loads of way's any season could be cancelled,  the virus is just one of them unfortunately.

If the season (From game 1 until finish) is a business venture then,  as with all business ventures there is some built in inherent risk that the venture might a) not finish on time b) not finish at all for example.  

The PL is not special just because there is loads of money at play.  That's just the way it goes in business and in life.  It is very unfortunate for Liverpool but if Manure were in their position what would they like to happen then I wonder? Cancel it,  get over it and hope that everyone can prepare for next season with everyone healthy and just f**k the money off like big boy's and give some money to the NHS or something you snides.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

They shouldn’t need a large rainy day fund to pay their staff. They would on average be on £22k - £25k a year I would imagine so not big money at all. Peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Opportunists lining up to take advantage of the taxpayer again. Football is broken and to be honest I’m sick of it and wouldn’t care if it didn’t come back. 

They have literally no incomings, and staff (unlike footballers) are extremely easy to replace. I'm not saying it's a good thing, or that we should celebrate it, but it's pretty much inevitable.

20 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

We've done this conversation before, but the purpose of the 'European Super League' is to be a lever to allow the richest clubs in each country to force concessions out of their respective Football Associations. It's not a real thing that's going to happen (and if it were, it would take years of negotiation, negotiation which won't be possible any time soon).

I've always thought that if this came to pass you would have a number of clubs who are currently considered Giants, who waltz their league every year who would just become whipping boys.  Someone will always be coming last.  What fun. 

• Like 1

Finding this thread a bit weird at the moment. I seem to be in the minority, in that I actually want the football club whose name this forum takes to survive the next few months as a going concern, and am happy for them to take the steps that they need to take to achieve that. Lots and lots and lots of businesses have had to furlough employees, many of whom have significantly better finances than your average football club. The reason for this government support programme to exist is so that it can save businesses that are going to the wall, which all football clubs will, and fairly quickly, in the current circumstances.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've always thought that if this came to pass you would have a number of clubs who are currently considered Giants, who waltz their league every year who would just become whipping boys.  Someone will always be coming last.  What fun. 

Try to imagine what Arsenal TV would be like if they lost 70% of their matches every season (which they would).

• Like 1

Â