Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Spurs back in training today ignoring the coronavirus rules

I'm not sure it's breaking the rules, I guess they can claim it's necessary work which they can't do from home.

Leverkusen has has signed Kaiserslauten and Germany U-21 keeper Lennart Grill starting next season.

And since Bayern Munchen signed Schalke and Germany keeper Alexander Nubel on a free when his contract expires on June 30th it will be interesting to see how FIFA/UEFA and the Bundesliga handles this is the season isn't done by then. Might be pandemonium.

Edited by sne

League Two player: Luke Prosser Colchester

People look at the Premier League and they just assume that all footballers in all leagues earn silly money and so they should be taking pay cuts but the reality is totally different, certainly in League Two where I play. Even at League One level you can earn a few quid but in League Two, although we’re not on bad money, it’s not a situation where we can afford to say: “We’ll take a 50% pay cut.” We’ve all got mortgages. We’ve got to live.

We’re fortunate at Colchester in that the club is financially well looked after. We sold a couple of players last summer and our run to the Carabao Cup quarter-final stood us in good stead. But if you look at, say, Macclesfield, a club already in money trouble with boys not getting paid on time, you dread to think of being in their shoes. It’s not just about the players getting their wages, it’s whether the clubs are going to stay afloat. All of this is going to have a massive effect in League Two. We got an email saying that we’d get April’s pay but we’ve not had an update since. I know quite a lot of clubs, especially in League Two, have used the furlough scheme and, although we haven’t done that as of yet with our staff, it’s just that not knowing. It’s not looking like football is going to restart in May so I don’t know what’s going to happen. We’re meant to be back in for training next Tuesday but I’d be amazed if that were the case.

I’m 32 next month and out of contract in June. I’d like to stay on but will any offer be there now because of money? It’s going to be an interesting summer and it might be hard for players to get clubs.

Mike Garlick was speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live

League Two chairman: Julian Tagg Exeter City

Some clubs are in a more difficult position at an earlier stage than others – it wasn’t that long ago that we remember not being able to pay wages on a Friday if we didn’t have a game on the Saturday before, so I understand the position that some may be in. There are difficulties facing the board of the EFL because depending on where you sit, you could have an opposite view – you might be at the top of the league or the bottom of the league, cash-rich or cash-poor – so trying to work out those possible scenarios, in terms of what’s best for everybody, is particularly difficult.

Exeter City chairman, Julian Tagg

Exeter City chairman, Julian Tagg. Photograph: Jim Wileman/The Guardian

Our players take home, on average, around £800 a week and some of our senior playing staff have already deferred wages voluntarily but they are all in different situations. Nobody is going to come out of this happy but the key underneath all of this is the Premier League, who are beginning to unfold their thinking and how they intend to deal with this from a financial point of view and how that finance drips down into the leagues, and the PFA, who have given indications, but nothing definitive. They have to consult their members, which is exactly right, and those things take time, but people are becoming impatient because they are very worried.

It is very easy to be critical but when you consider the magnitude of the issues and the problems that the EFL are facing, they are doing a good job in trying to guide us through this unbelievably difficult period. Will it have an impact? Absolutely. I have no crystal ball but I would have thought it would impact the number of players in a squad and also the wages they earn.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/07/its-maths-for-dummies-how-wages-debate-is-viewed-inside-the-game

Think its the important subject here, link also has interview with Burnley chairman, Bertrand and an agent

41 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Saw this thread on twitter (Its a long one) but its coming from the Accrington Stanley's chairman about what could possibly happen to his (and a few others) clubs. 

Wow. I don't think I've properly thought of it like this. 
The first thing I thought after reading this was how on earth will Birmingham City survive this? 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Wow. I don't think I've properly thought of it like this. 
The first thing I thought after reading this was how on earth will Birmingham City survive this? 

**** Blues I've got fear for Aston Villa.

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think Villa be OK but I wouldnt be surpised if enough teams go bust that be 3 senior divisions in the future

You’d like them to be top 6 and Newcastle, Everton...etc

But those aren’t. 😅

4 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

You’d like them to be top 6 and Newcastle, Everton...etc

But those aren’t. 😅

I could see West Ham struggling, Bournemouth I have expected to go bust the moment they go down so another that wouldnt shock me. Maybe Burnley, Watford in the Premier League as well. 

Championship clubs that went down or spent big im recent times could be also facing similar like Derby, Fulham etc

Reports today that at least six teams in the Championship are looking at starting next season with points deductions for failing FFP. 

FIFA/UEFA have surely got to address FFP at this point - it's not fit for purpose at the best of times and for them to say they will make no allowance for this period is ridiculous.

• Like 1

I can't get my head around Norwich - taking hundreds of thousands of pounds from the taxpayer to make sure they can pay their office teams and all of the people that work behind the scenes on match day - much needed money that helps to protect those jobs - without it, they could go bust and those people would be out of work. Hooray for the government stepping up to help ailing business's in time of need.

And hello, here's Norwich City waving their arse at the lot of us, investing a couple of million pounds in a new player - investing in one part of the business while the UK supports the other part - bold as you like, as if it isn't happening.

I'd like to see government look into this - it's taking the piss at a time when people are dying.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I can't get my head around Norwich - taking hundreds of thousands of pounds from the taxpayer to make sure they can pay their office teams and all of the people that work behind the scenes on match day - much needed money that helps to protect those jobs - without it, they could go bust and those people would be out of work. Hooray for the government stepping up to help ailing business's in time of need.

And hello, here's Norwich City waving their arse at the lot of us, investing a couple of million pounds in a new player - investing in one part of the business while the UK supports the other part - bold as you like, as if it isn't happening.

I'd like to see government look into this - it's taking the piss at a time when people are dying.

Yeah i thought this was naughty too, the government should hold back the same amount as the transfer fee in my opinion. It will be interesting to see how many other clubs on furlough are pulling stunts like this behind the scenes. The only thing i can think of is maybe this deal was done before and has only been announced now for some reason? Terribly bad timing if this is the case.

On 10/04/2020 at 08:24, OutByEaster? said:

Reports today that at least six teams in the Championship are looking at starting next season with points deductions for failing FFP. 

FIFA/UEFA have surely got to address FFP at this point - it's not fit for purpose ...

Nowt to do with them, though.  It’s the EFL’s own rules, voted for by the EFL clubs.

The wider point, yeah of course account needs to be taken of the virus and the consequences.

Â