Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

not everybody has Sky or BT though. The interest for players playing in training session atmosphere wont be exciting for people anyway

Several million do and most probably don’t care about atmosphere in the ground.  The only way football clubs can survive is to play behind closed doors because crowds won’t be allowed into grounds for a very long time 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Several million do and most probably don’t care about atmosphere in the ground.  The only way football clubs can survive is to play behind closed doors because crowds won’t be allowed into grounds for a very long time 

How will Tranmere, Rochdale, Leyton Orient etc. survive with no fans when the mighty Sky have the FESTIVAL OF FOOTBALL crap. They still have to play games, hire medical staff and have 250-300 people on site with no income.

Why is it just the Greed is Good league that has to survive. 

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

I watched a game before the lockdown that was played behind closed doors i forget who now as I switched it off after a couple of mins!  It was that bad without the fans was like a friendly! Must have been a European game.

No fans makes football pointless. 

I am someone that watches any footy if its on the box but no fans was a step too far!

Premier League comes back without fans I will not be watching that's for sure even Villa 😟

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

How will Tranmere, Rochdale, Leyton Orient etc. survive with no fans when the mighty Sky have the FESTIVAL OF FOOTBALL crap. They still have to play games, hire medical staff and have 250-300 people on site with no income.

True clubs will go bust just as businesses have.  With no football until next year though many more will go to the wall. 

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Do you have a better idea than just waiting until its safe to let fans into grounds? 

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

True clubs will go bust just as businesses have.  With no football until next year though many more will go to the wall. 

so clubs should waste money they dont have just so people can watch football and have integrity into a pointless season

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

so clubs should waste money they dont have just so people can watch football and have integrity into a pointless season

TV Revenue which I think they have already had and got to pay back if the season isn't finished. 

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

TV Revenue which I think they have already had and got to pay back if the season isn't finished. 

Lower league games wont be shown on TV though if they put every Premier League game on TV. Absolute waste of resources

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Lower league games wont be shown on TV though if they put every Premier League game on TV. Absolute waste of resources

What about next season then? Do you think they are going to be allowing spectators into grounds by August/ September? 

I predict we will see a sudden and rapid shift from the current state of annoyance at Premier League players breaking lockdowns and being paid too much, to a sense of absolute crisis and bailout for the entire football sector if we were to go 18 months with no games. I would estimate that more than 80 league teams would go to the wall in that scenario.

• Like 1

I don't know if its me (or I'm thinking wrong) but how could the non-PL teams (and non top flight leagues around the world) be able to do BCD games? How would some of the smaller League 1/2 sides be able to financially afford it? 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I predict we will see a sudden and rapid shift from the current state of annoyance at Premier League players breaking lockdowns and being paid too much, to a sense of absolute crisis and bailout for the entire football sector if we were to go 18 months with no games. I would estimate that more than 80 league teams would go to the wall in that scenario.

And around the world potentially thousands of clubs will go bust.

In some respects football might start to mirror the NFL in years to come, only the rich survive?

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Will be the Premier League dream as well, they have wanted to reduce the league to 18 teams and if a certain amount survive they can close off the top flight from promotion/relegation. 

40 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Will be the Premier League dream as well, they have wanted to reduce the league to 18 teams and if a certain amount survive they can close off the top flight from promotion/relegation. 

No more loaning out player then 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Yeah, but as I say, I think it's unlikely to actually happen, because politicians will bail out the sector. Sports clubs are unique businesses in the level of affinity people feel for them, and the pro-social cohesion they cause. We saw when Bury and Bolton - just two clubs - were going out of business, largely due to mismanagement, that there was a lot of pressure from politicians to save them. In the end, it didn't happen, but when we're talking about clubs not just in two constituencies, but in 50 or 60, and not going out of business due to mismanagement but to an 'act of God', there will be a huge amount of pressure to step in and support the industry. And it's not even like it would be that expensive, either, given that most football clubs have a smaller turnover than a neighbourhood supermarket. 

I'm starting to think they will play out the season and start next season ASAP, but that fans will not be permitted into grounds. It would be really sad, but better than nothing.

papers here suggesting there's a leak from the meeting and announcement from Merkel

the lockdown will continue until 3rd May but some things will start to open up, furniture and car showrooms, maybe some museums

and Bundesliga will be back and played in empty stadiums

• Like 1

This could go in any number of threads and we've touched upon it in the The Game's Gone thread among others.

It's google translated and to make it easier I just removed a zero from Swedish currency to £ so the figures are a bit off.

Bought the players with money they didn't have

Now the soccer bubble can crack

Is the top international football on the way to a stock market crash?

Now, in any case, the most lucrative league in the world is starting to brace themselves for the effects of the corona virus.

The background is a transfer game where the world's biggest stars are bought on speculation.

Football clubs' revenues are falling one by one and experts have already warned of collapsed player values and a transfer market that will stand still this summer . So can it be so much worse now?

Yes, we have actually just begun.

Owing over  £2 billion

Because it's not just that the world's richest football clubs have already lost much of their revenue. In addition, they have huge debts following speculation in the player market.

According to the Daily Mail , the clubs in the English Premier League alone owe a total of £2 billion in unpaid transitional sums.

The reason is that the clubs have not had the billions they spent on player purchases in recent years. Instead, they have entered into installment plans with selling clubs, which in turn have sold the claims to external companies and banks in order to get their money directly.

For example, when Manchester United bought Aaron Wan-Bissaka from Crystal Palace for £56 million last summer, the payment was split. A partial sum was paid directly but a further £25 million will be sent from United this coming summer.

But not to the Palace.

However, in order to get the full sum directly, Palace sold the claim in turn to the Australian bank Macquarie. They simply borrowed the money they would receive directly from the bank the following year, with the coming money from United as collateral.

A convenient way for Manchester United to be able to buy the defender despite not being able to afford the entire transfer fee directly and yet at the same time enabled Palace to immediately redeem all kronor. This so that they could then go out into the same market and speculate in a similar way themselves.

This is how the transfer wheels of football have rolled and in this way the balloon with rampant player costs has been inflated. By owning both buying and selling club in a business in practice.

Felix and Griezmann financed with loans

The only problem is that there are speculation deals. Clubs are simply dealing with revenue they can really only speculate on coming. But what if the audience revenue suddenly falls to zero, the sponsoring companies start to withdraw their money and the broadcasters threaten not to make their payments?

What for a few months felt unthinkable but now happened.

Will all clubs that bought players with borrowed money now be able to make their installments? What happens otherwise?

They are also many.

Bournemouth has also borrowed money from Macquarie for two player sales, as well as Watford following Richarison's transfer for £60m to Everton and Leicester when Riyad Mahrez was sold to Manchester City.

According to previous information from the BBC , giants such as Barcelona and Atlético Madrid should also have borrowed from external players when they acquired Antoine Griezmann and Joao Felix last summer.

This means that experts now fear that the entire football transfer market could be a bubble on the verge of cracking. If a club fails with its installments, it can in turn fall tile after tile in the domino game built up by billion-dollar businesses with borrowed money.

Daily Mail's figures on clubs' outstanding transfer loans also show what astonishing sums it is that must be funded even if match games fail in the coming months.

All clubs except three in the Premier League have outstanding transfer debts. 15 of them at least £20 million each.

United very worst

Manchester United is the worst with over £200m followed by the local rival City of over £100m. Two giants that have such strong commercial revenues that they can probably still fulfill their commitments.

But what about relegation candidates trio West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth, who together owe £200m, if the season continues to be postponed?

The Premier League clubs are currently discussing a transfer pact with the Second League Championship to help save the economy by pushing down player salaries. But regardless of how many pacts the PL clubs make between them, it remains a fact that 11 of the £2 billion they owe in transfer agreements should go to foreign clubs.

Now we have to ask ourselves if the transfer bubble is going to squeak or slap. And which ones it will bring in the explosion.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/wPGLl5/kopte-spelarna-med-pengar-de-inte-hade

• Like 1

Serie A still planning although they are starting to say later dates in every statement now (in May was far too opimistic given the situation there). Now middle of June with finish in late July so similar to what I think premier league will attempt to do.

https://www.football-italia.net/152143/gravina-season-must-be-completed

“A definite stop would start a series of disputes, there are already some warnings from some clubs on my table. FIFA has paved the way. The new season will not begin without having concluded the first. We don’t have a deadline to start again, we will go hand in hand with the other European Leagues.

“If they let us play in early June, we have the dates to end at the end of July.”

Â