Match Thread: LCF: Villa v Man City

limpid

The corner isn't a VAR issue anyone with eyes could see it came off the City player. The ref didn't have the balls to make the call. 

We need to keep it tight for 20-30mins now and make some changes towards the end. There's no doubt that city defensive line can be got at. 

I do think our defensive shape looks better this time, even if they are capable of exposing us down the flanks. We’re more compact and less stretched, and at least we’re making them play. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

All the smith out doomlords carping when we were two down can **** off and support Liverpool as well btw.

But then they'd have less to complain about..

1 minute ago, Skruff said:

4-4-2. Davis and Sama up top. Would cause them problems, and give us an out ball. 

I'd love this. Davis wide left and Samatta wide right and just kick it down the wings for them to run on to. It's basic but that's where their space is. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JB said:

I really don’t think we’ve played badly at all. City have just been unplayable at times. If we can figure out a way to nullify the switch in play (easier said than done), somehow find some space for Jack and keep our heads up then we’re still in this.

Yes, strangely always against us.

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Targett needs to stop giving Foden space, too - he tucks inside rather than marking him and it's allowing him easy access to the ball. Constant threat. 

He has to tuck inside that’s his job

• Like 1

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

All the smith out doomlords carping when we were two down can **** off and support Liverpool as well btw.

Smith has a lot of faults. Tactically he's very raw. That doesn't mean somebody isn't a fan.

• Like 3

Just now, lexicon said:

Targett needs to stop giving Foden space, too - he tucks inside rather than marking him and it's allowing him easy access to the ball. Constant threat. 

AEG defends to centrally. AEG was covering the same space as Grealish and Nakamba for their first goal. 

Foden gets way too much time and space on the ball. He's a good player, but we're allowing him to look like Messi. 

2 minutes ago, Skruff said:

4-4-2. Davis and Sama up top. Would cause them problems, and give us an out ball. 

We would never get hold of the ball with a 2 man midfield. Unless we plan on playing hoofball

Just now, sidcow said:

Feed the Sam and he will score. Ben living literally off scraps for us but give a half decent chance and he will score. 

Makes you wonder why we didn’t sign him in the Summer over Wes? His record was better and he was half the price.

4 minutes ago, JB said:

I really don’t think we’ve played badly at all. City have just been unplayable at times. If we can figure out a way to nullify the switch in play (easier said than done), somehow find some space for Jack and keep our heads up then we’re still in this.

Agreed, also, Target/Mings need to keep aware of that overlap ball which they have successfully pulled off with ease multiple times. Acres of space!

1 minute ago, villanmac said:

What we winds me up is that corner decision is exactly the thing VAR could change without ruining the game. One man on a monitor sees the replay once and in the refs ear "wrong decision, goalkick" before the player walks up to take it. 5seconds. None of this 2 minuite shit working out if someone's dick was offside.

A million likes and sums up my feelings absolutely perfectly. That kind of thing is EXACTLY what VAR should be used for.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

We've been pretty decent with what ball we've had. Samatta, goal aside, has been excellent. His hold up, touch and sheer physical strength look night and day from Wesley. Guilbert has been terrible. Still plays with this nonchalant half arsed look on his face.

Guilbert has been left to do the job of two men. For the corner he should never have been marking him.