Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

Unfortunately for Carney it seems like the current hierarchy prefer their favourites over giving a chance to other players who play well and throw their hat in the ring. He'd be mad to turn down a move to Dortmund at this point.

I simply think in hindsight we should have voted to have 5 subs to allow the likes of Chuk more minutes.  At the other end of the spectrum I think it would have helped Sanson too.  I thought it would have benefitted the top 6 teams so was dead against it but they play enough matches to give players game time even with 3 subs.  It's just tough to manage games when you're in the middle of the league as well as give minutes to those on the fringes to give them a chance to impress and hopefully keep them happy.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Unfortunately for Carney it seems like the current hierarchy prefer their favourites over giving a chance to other players who play well and throw their hat in the ring. He'd be mad to turn down a move to Dortmund at this point.

Yeah Gerrard seems to rather bring on Ashley young then youth

26 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sanson deserves more of a chance than Carney ffs.

The kid is 18. Bossing it for the reserves and at U19 International level doesn't suddenly make him a standout player more deserving of a place than multiple seniors ok the squad.

So if you want to have a moan about the current hierarchy, there are probably other players who deserve the moan more than him.

Luckily I can expand my mind past 1 player/position. Yes, Sanson should be starting but since he didn't just come on and do well for the England U-19s I unfortunately find myself in the Chukwuemeka thread. Carney, in addition to Sanson and others, deserves and is capable of more playing time than he is currently being afforded. Is that a fair opinion sir?

Carney, is highly rated by so many football people.

but my message is......"don't tell me, show me"

I hear him getting compared with Jude Bellingham, no comparison in my book.

7 hours ago, AV82 said:

Unfortunately for Carney it seems like the current hierarchy prefer their favourites over giving a chance to other players who play well and throw their hat in the ring. 

Those favourites are Coutinho and Buendia - and Buendia is currently spending time on the bench - I don't think it's unreasonable for those two to be playing over him at the moment.

I don't think he's ready to play deeper in the Premier League at this point. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sanson deserves more of a chance than Carney ffs.

The kid is 18. Bossing it for the reserves and at U19 International level doesn't suddenly make him a standout player more deserving of a place than multiple seniors ok the squad.

So if you want to have a moan about the current hierarchy, there are probably other players who deserve the moan more than him.

Why should Sanson deserve more chances than Carney? That’s an almost absurd thing to say imo.

First, Sanson is 27 or 28 and was brought here to play a certain role. Carney has come through our academy and is currently developing. Only a crazy club would prioritize the potential personal development of Sanson in this case.

Second, since Gerrard came Sanson has already played more than twice as much as Carney, and I don’t think Sanson has contributed that much more in those minutes.

6 hours ago, messi11 said:

Was thinking the same, there's been a couple of games recently where we've been 3 or 4 up with 10 mins left in complete control and at least one of them he brought young on which I didn't agree with

He's also got Bailey and Traore on the bench who need to be given game time too to get that fitness up

We have a strong bench for the first time in a decade, comes to something when we can sit here and say don't bring on the 2 £30m+ players chuck one of the 18 year olds on cos we want to see more of him

But part of the learning curve is that these kids must see that, I don't believe that chuk or timbo will be sat there pissed that our record signing argentine international is coming off the bench before they do

Interest in Cameron Archer going on loan to Germany. Possibly it would be worth offering a loan there for Carney if he signs a contract extension. 

But if you're Carney, going to Dortmund is the best option for his career and leaving Villa. The system we play doesn't offer him the right no8 role for him to get mins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Those favourites are Coutinho and Buendia - and Buendia is currently spending time on the bench - I don't think it's unreasonable for those two to be playing over him at the moment.

I don't think he's ready to play deeper in the Premier League at this point. 

I kind of agree with this. However given that we’re in a pretty comfortable position we’re never going to have a better chance to try out a young talent than we do now.

Ramsey hasn’t had his best games for us lately so bringing Carney on for him for 20-30 minutes wouldn’t have been the most ridiculous idea in these last few games.

If we’re not going to give young players minutes in what’s left of this season then I can understand why they may feel they’re never going to break through here.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Interest in Cameron Archer going on loan to Germany. Possibly it would be worth offering a loan there for Carney if he signs a contract extension. 

But if you're Carney, going to Dortmund is the best option for his career and leaving Villa. The system we play doesn't offer him the right no8 role for him to get mins. 

Not sure he will get much game time at Dortmund, they have a superior midfield to us and would be fighting Bellingham, Reyna, Brandy, Dahoud, Can and Witsel 

If he gets game time thats impressive and be a definite slight on Gerrards tactical game

9 hours ago, messi11 said:

Do you want to bring Carney on at left back?

Gerrard was bringing him on most games before his recent injury.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, messi11 said:

He gave Iroegbunam his debut and given Carney chances from the bench. The idea that he favours Young simply isn’t true. Sometimes you bring on a certain player in certain situations. He’s still in the match day squad and training with the first time. The kid is still 18. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Gerrard was bringing him on most games before his recent injury.

I didn't realise he'd made 9 appearances for us this season, more than I thought tbh and all but one under Gerrard, including 4 games in a row before that injury. 

Wouldn't mind seeing him start a game as we enter the dead rubber phase of the season, but I agree with the previous poster, when the likes of Sanson hardly get a sniff, I think Chuk has been getting his fair share of minutes under Gerrard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I didn't realise he'd made 9 appearances for us this season, more than I thought tbh and all but one under Gerrard, including 4 games in a row before that injury. 

Wouldn't mind seeing him start a game as we enter the dead rubber phase of the season, but I agree with the previous poster, when the likes of Sanson hardly get a sniff, I think Chuk has been getting his fair share of minutes under Gerrard.

Wow! I didn’t realise either he had that many sub appearances. 

Again, I don’t know where this narrative has come from that Gerrard has an issue with youth. From day one he’s basically said that age isn’t a barrier if you’re good enough. People forget he started his managerial career with the Liverpool academy. Sometimes things take time. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not sure he will get much game time at Dortmund, they have a superior midfield to us and would be fighting Bellingham, Reyna, Brandy, Dahoud, Can and Witsel 

If he gets game time thats impressive and be a definite slight on Gerrards tactical game

If he goes to Dortmund he will probably get game time almost right away.

Their strategy is to sign the best 17-19 year olds with the promise of game time, and if Dortmund don’t believe they can go straight into the first team they won’t sign them. Signings are usually thrown in at the deep end and if they can’t perform they tend to disappear and have to start over somewhere else.

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Sanson has played more than twice as much as Carney under Gerrard.

2 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

I kind of agree with this. However given that we’re in a pretty comfortable position we’re never going to have a better chance to try out a young talent than we do now.

Ramsey hasn’t had his best games for us lately so bringing Carney on for him for 20-30 minutes wouldn’t have been the most ridiculous idea in these last few games.

If we’re not going to give young players minutes in what’s left of this season then I can understand why they may feel they’re never going to break through here.

For me, if we're playing two eights and a six in a three - then Chukwuemeka can step straight in as an eight. He was one of two eights for England last night with Iroegbunam behind him. 

The problem he has here at the moment is that we play a ten (or two tens) and three sixes - and in my opinion at least, he's not ready for the workload of those sixes at Premier league level yet.

There's a case for saying those twenty minute slots to replace one of the deeper midfielders should be going to Iroegbanum - but even then, we're starting games with Sanson on the bench.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

For me, if we're playing two eights and a six in a three - then Chukwuemeka can step straight in as an eight. He was one of two eights for England last night with Iroegbunam behind him. 

The problem he has here at the moment is that we play a ten (or two tens) and three sixes - and in my opinion at least, he's not ready for the workload of those sixes at Premier league level yet.

There's a case for saying those twenty minute slots to replace one of the deeper midfielders should be going to Iroegbanum - but even then, we're starting games with Sanson on the bench.

Couldn't Chukwuemeka play as a 10 then?

Â