Pre match thread

roonst83

1 hour ago, chips'ngravy said:

Our big issue is the amount of shots we concede. We concede more than any other team in the league which suggests a midfield problem (not news to anyone, I know) conceding almost 18 per game. The next worst is Newcastle, but even they concede 2 less. 

Not addressing this in the transfer window was a huge error. I don't know how viable getting N'Zonzi was, but him on loan or someone of that ilk should've been a priority. Drinkwater is not a dm and rather than help seems to have actually made things worse with the amount of times he loses the ball in front of the defence.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Our midfield offers very little in the way of protection for our defence which brings added pressure. Our defenders are unproven in this league and are learning on the job and when our backs are against the wall (and, significantly, without McGinn) we struggle to keep hold of the ball. 

This is going to be all about showing some character. I thought Sunday was a decent performance but Southampton have kicked on so much after beating us at VP. 

I think the team is pretty straight forward:

Reina

Konsa Mings Hause

Guilbert           Marv      Luiz         Targett

ElGhazi             Samatta          Grealish

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Herman22 said:

This is going to be all about showing some character. I thought Sunday was a decent performance but Southampton have kicked on so much after beating us at VP. 

I think the team is pretty straight forward:

Reina

Konsa Mings Hause

Guilbert           Marv      Luiz         Targett

ElGhazi             Samatta          Grealish

Pretty much what I would go for too.

I think there's a good argument that a back 3 of 'Konsa Engels Mings' may be our strongest, but not for this game, Engels at times on Sunday looked laboured and against more quick strikers this Saturday in Ings, Long and/or possibly Obafemi/Adams then we need the pace - we also need to defend a little deeper than we did against Spurs.

Marvelous for Drinkwater is an obvious one, I still think there is a player in there with Danny but it looks he's played a full 90 after 10 minutes, let's get at them early and there might be a role for him late on when we are seeing out the victory - Fingers crossed.

They are coming off the back of 3 consecutive defeats so although their form has obviously improved from early on in the season this is still very much winnable.

I can see another high scoring game, but wouldn't it be just fantastic (and less stressful) to ease to a 0-2 victory. Trust me, that won't happen 🙈.

• Like 1

If we could bottle that Spurs performance up and unleash it on Saturday we'd win. Unfortunately what will happen is as there is more pressure on us to get a result we'll tense up, be nervy and in panic mode and won't be able to pass the ball ten yards a la Watford away, Bournemouth away and lose.

Drinkwater nowhere near the team please. I was cringing for him on Sunday as he's obviously got talent especially with his passing but he's not fit enough for the Championship let alone the Premier League and we haven't got the luxury of being in a position where we can keep playing him to get him match fit. He was running in treacle and if the ball wasn't passed to the exact blade of grass he was standing on he had no chance of getting there.

• Like 1

We have to remember that last time we played Southampton we were missing Mings at the back (Engels and Hause were the centre back pairing), we are now playing a different formation & McGinn went off injured early in the game disrupting our rhythm.

This time around we are looking stronger, despite the result Sunday's performance shows there is some fight left in this team.

Reina

Konsa  Engels  Mings

Guilbert        Luiz       Nakamba    Targett

El Ghazi      Samatta     Grealish

For me Hause is the weak link at the back, defensively he is sound but he is too casual on the ball. Engels was solid (for the most part) in the centre of the defence with two quick centre halves each side of him it covers his main weakness in pace.

The Luiz/Nakamba partnership always worries me, they seem to allow too much space in the midfield. However Drinkwater looked off the pace after 20 minutes on Sunday, we desperately need McGinn back.

Really hoping the players don't down tools on Saturday ahead of the Carabao Cup Final, an attitude of not wanting to be injured and missing out on Wembley is a danger. It's a must win and I'm pretty confident we have enough to do just that.

I’d be very surprised if we didn’t line up with:

Reina

Konsa    Mings    Hause

Guilbert        Luiz       Nakamba    Targett

El Ghazi      Samatta     Grealish

Edited by Delphinho123

First time in a very long time that everyone is agreeing on the front 3 (El Ghazi/Samatta/Grealish) which shows that there were positives from the Spurs game and hopefully it is a good sign for the rest of the season.

The only reason the players should have Wembley on their minds is in a positive way, "IE you're playing for your cup final shirt, go do the business" - I think (hope), that puts us in good stead come 3 0'clock Saturday.

8 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

What, not even Newcastle away? That’s the one I’m most confident about. Smith vs Bruce, there’s usually only one winner. 

not even newcastle away. i just feel that you see a totally different aston villa away from home...i hope i'm proven wrong saturday

Of the 12 games left this season, 8 of them are against the current top half of the league and 4 are against the bottom half.

Southampton are one of those bottom half sides.

With Villa having 25pts so far this season we probably need 4 wins to stay up.

The reason I point out the 4 wins and the 4 remaining bottom half opposition sides is because here is our record against the top half of the league this season.

5262309a49ff4e9a345f9e537760189d.png

Cut adrift at the bottom.

This game against Southampton is absolutely pivotal, and I also have no confidence in getting anything from it.

I am not looking forward to Saturday :(

If you're up there Superman ... please please let this be one of those surprise results.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1