Pre match thread

roonst83

I primarily start these pre match threads to try and divert my attention and focus from the previous gut-wrenching loss. It’s essentially therapy for me. 

Biggest issue here is how we pick ourselves up in terms of confidence after such a heart breaking loss to Spurs. No other team around us would’ve lost like that and that worries me. Burnley did a good job on Saints yesterday by hunting and pressing them all game when they had the ball. We need to do the same I feel. 

They will fancy beating us. We need to be composed on the ball and defend well. Mings will likely come back in for Engels if he’s fit. Other than that I’d bring in Nakamba for Drinky who looked well off the pace against Spurs. 

Would fancy us more if we took a point from Spurs but we’ll need to work hard to restore some much needed confidence this week in training. Pressure has mounted now. This game is massive. 

• Like 2

No other team around us would have lost that, it was an individual mistake by a player that had bust his balls for90 minutes, so you are saying no player in the bottom 6/7 teams will make a mistake like that before the end of the season . Let’s see

Hopefully with games running out and the players knowing how vital this is they can start with the intensity we’ve shown a few times lately at home. Must get an away performance like we had at Burnley. We cant defend, we all know it so makes no sense being pragmatic and losing anyway. Go for it and set about these from the off. No one down there has a Jack Grealish. Nakamba in for Drinkwater, Tyrone back in. Samatta has made a very positive impact so far, we’re a different proposition to that side that rolled over at VP in the reverse.

Think we’ll manage a draw, which isnt really enough. 2-2

Reina

Guilbert Konsa Mings Engels Targett
                 Nakamba.   Luiz

Grealish

El Ghazi.      Samatta 

I appreciate Hause will start over Engels, his mistake aside I think Engels is better though and would allow Guilbert to push further up by allowing Konsa to move over to the right a bit when we attack, effectively moving to a back 4. At the minute he can’t do that as he’s the secondary CB. Engels is slower than Hause but better overall as much as Hause gives us in the air.

No messing around with Drinkwater. Bring him on on 70 minutes if we are 3 goals up to help slow the game down and see it out. If we are down or up by 2 or less. Don’t **** do it.

In spite of the understandable gloom we're feeling post Spurs, a win against Saints woupd probably see us move 4pts clear of the relegation spots and be within touching distance of Palace, Newcastle and Saints. Our closest rivals all have games you'd expect them to lose.

It was a gut-wrenching defeat but we've no time to dwell on it. A big opportunity awaits us.

• Like 4

That cruel last minute winner from Spuds should really galvanise the team now. We played well and had them rattled at times, if they can focus on the positives from that game, stay mad and come out fighting, we can get the win we so badly need at Southampton. There’s no time for feeling sorry for ourselves and the coaching team need get the players wound up for this one. Three points along with the teams around us losing will make a massive difference to the feeling around Villa. 

That, and actually defending will help. 

Twelve league games left and we will be a point clear of the bottom three before this game, assuming Manchester City don't do West Ham a favour tomorrow. We last won at Southampton in 2013 and drew there on our last visit in 2015. We owe them one, following our dismal home defeat to them before Christmas and for some dire away defeats that we have suffered there in the past (1-6 in 2015, 0-5 in 1987 and 2-6 in 1967). Overall, we have won 25 and have drawn 21 of the 69 league games, that there have been between the two clubs.

A win would bring us within 3 points of our hosts and we would have the better goal difference. A draw should keep us out of the bottom three, with Watford visiting Manchester United and West Ham at Liverpool, this weekend. We do really need to avoid defeat and begin pulling away from the bottom three. Having lost our last two league games by the odd goal, we need to stop the rot now. Just win it for us Villa! 🤞       

• Like 1

This really is a must win for us now after that crushing defeat to Spurs. I sincerely hope that the team + coaches have a look at themselves and sort out our defensive woes ahead of this fixture because if this hasn't been seen as a weak area priori to this point (I bet it has) then it sure as hell should be now. We cannot keep conceding the amount of pressure we invite on ourselves each game as our dismal goals against record this season is clear evidence for (that and shots against). It is time for every player on the field to take responsibility for pressuring and actively defending while the opposition has the ball. Offensively we are a bit sloppy at times but we do score goals so this is not our biggest problem currently.

Also, please for the love of what is good, work on movement off the ball while in possession. Our passing hasn't been glorious to say the least and a lot of that is down to limited passing options for the player currently in possession. I want to see our players taking more personal responsibility for making themselves available and doing the dirty work in pressing/defense. Don't know if this is a result of unclear instructions, folding under game pressure, inability on/off the ball etc... In any case this needs to be worked on and should be prioritized imo.

If we start doing the above I think we would improve massively, but then again I'm just a regular plebian football fan.

Massive game, but I think the odds are pretty even for both teams. I just hope that we turn up and it is our day come kickoff. Make us proud Villa! UTV!

• Like 3

I can just as well see us winning 3-2 something. will we hold them to no goals? sincerely doubt it. will we be more clinical ourselves? possibly. will they be clinical? possibly.

A bit of a 50/50 for me.