Pre match thread

roonst83

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

not even newcastle away. i just feel that you see a totally different aston villa away from home...i hope i'm proven wrong saturday

That is true to be fair. We’re running out of chances to change our away form. Saturday is critical to our survival chances. I fear a loss but like you I hope I’m wrong. 

14 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

My side for this match would be: 

Reina

Konsa Engels Mings

Guilbert Drinkwater Nakamba Targett

El Ghazi Samatta Grealish

Subs: Nyland, Elmohamady, Hause, Taylor, Hourihane, Trezeguet, Davis

Not surprised you picked Drinkwater, any logical reason for picking a player so far off the pace? Perhaps you could slip Wesley onto the bench ?😂

Regards,

VLD.

Looking back to the 3-1 reverse in December, we were playing 433 with no Mings, an out of form Wesley up front, an injury to McGinn which disrupted our plans and a half arsed Kodjia coming on as our saviour. This time we’ll have Mings back and Samatta up front. Those two alone give me some faith that we can get a result here.

We need to take our chances and not make any individual errors, a big ask considering the previous 26 games. But not impossible. 

They also have a few injuries, new signing Kyle Walker-Peters, Boufal and the biggest one - Nathan Redmond, who’s our for a month. 

Edited by It's Your Round
  • Like 2

Has to be Konsa - Mings - Hause for me. That Southampton frontline had Engels on toast at Villa Park. Even without Redmond, I'm sure Ings and Long will be itching for another go at him (with all those quick turns and dinks over the top). I dare say Bjorn is champing at the bit for redemption after the Spurs game, but I don't think this match-up suits him. We need our fastest back three.

• Like 3

Just now, Five Ken McNaughts said:

Has to be Konsa - Mings - Hause for me. That Southampton frontline had Engels on toast at Villa Park. Even without Redmond, I'm sure Ings and Long will be itching for another go at him (with all those quick turns and dinks over the top). I dare say Bjorn is champing at the bit for redemption after the Spurs game, but I don't think this match-up suits him. We need our fastest back three.

Agreed, I’d let Engles sit this one out and go with that back three. I think we need to go for their throats in the first 20 mins, if we get a goal up quickly their home support will turn. They’ve got the worst home record and their fans are quick to get on the players’ backs (sounds familiar). I’d perhaps even go as far as saying whoever scores first will win. 

• Like 1

Must win for me. I'm sick of hearing about how well we've played against the big six and the better teams - simple fact is we've bottled all the games and dropped points. We can't rely on picking up any points against the City, Chelsea and Liverpools of this world.

This makes games like Southampton away a must win. It's going to be really tough; I'd say they have a better squad than us. But we have Mings back, and we have Grealish who will be the best player on the park. Our defence owes us a big, disciplined performance.

I'd  have to go:

Reina

Konsa Mings Hause

Guilbert Nakamba Luiz Targett

Grealish Samatta Trezeguet

4 hours ago, Graham t said:

Not surprised you picked Drinkwater, any logical reason for picking a player so far off the pace? Perhaps you could slip Wesley onto the bench ?😂

Regards,

VLD.

He’s only played a few times for our first team, he’s our only fit central midfielder that can get on the ball and dictate play. Also, I don’t think that Nakamba and Luiz compliment each other very well but they are good players individually 

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s only played a few times for our first team, he’s our only fit central midfielder that can get on the ball and dictate play. Also, I don’t think that Nakamba and Luiz compliment each other very well but they are good players individually 

i dont understand why you havent even put luiz on the bench?! 

If we are to persist with playing Drinkwater I'd rather we went back to 4-3-3. We are painfully exposed in CM when playing a guy who cant move.

A coin toss who plays alongside Mings at CB

A midfield 3 of Drinkwater, Nakamba and Luiz might not be the worst idea

And then El Ghazi Samatta, and Grealish as a front 3.

Our front 3 are key to this game. They need to pressure them high up the pitch, not let them pass it out of defence and try to force errors. Thankfully I think that style of play suits Samatta down to the ground and I can see him getting a goal or two tomorrow. El Ghazi/Trezeguet need to do the same.

Mings should make a massive difference at the back as Engels would be dreadfully caught out by Ings and Long. Nakamba and Luiz need to make an impact on their centre mids too. They need to pressure them and not let them have any time on the ball.

This game is very, very winnable. Do we have faith that our players will be up for it though? I really hope so because they need to start standing up and being counted.

One positive, whatever the result, is that we'll be one game closer to Super John coming back, which I really believe will be the catalyst to keeping us up. Not only will we have him back, but it will also free up Grealish more as he won't have to do the work of 6 people and teams won't be able to triple mark him any more.

UTV

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 1

We need a win here by hook or by crook. We can’t seem to keep clean sheet, so we’ll have to outscore them. Smith will probably start Drinkwater, but I pray he doesn’t. Here’s hoping for a 1-2 or a 1-3 win.

Reina

Konsa      Mings     Hause

Guilbert                                     Targett

Nakamba   Luiz

Grealish

AEG          Samatta      

Subs: Nyland, Engels, Elmo, Drinkwater, Hourihane, Trez, Baston

It will be really tricky, but the players and the management, must understand the position we are in.....not lip service, a serious approach.

If we don't win......we simply can't lose.

losing simply gives confidence to those that are around us.

The odds on us to win are 4-1/5-1 are we really that bad?Southhampton have the worst home record in the prem .

This is a big game for us .Must not lose.

Samatta looks like he might add a bit of maturity to our squad,(which I think we have been lacking),he seems to hold the ball well and he seems to hover around the six yard box which all good strikers do.

Hopefully Mings is back,keeping Ings quiet is going to be crucial.

I have conflicting views on Drinkwater.The manager must see something in him and probably thinks he needs game time to improve.Smith must think Luiz and Nakamba don’t work well together and combining one of them with Drinkwater is the best option.

Nakamba is a good ball winner but a poor passer Luiz is a poor ball winner but a really good passer.

First goal tomorrow is vital.