Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Given it looks like Wilson is now ruled out, I imagine we'll be all out for Watkins. Can of course see why he would go there, but you'd hope it's not attractive enough given playing time etc. I expect us to get Watkins for daft money now. 

Also if Spurs interest is real - and we then get him - well it goes to show he probably is class. 

Edited by Jareth

I remember an interview with Wilder about the midfielder they signed in January (don't remember the name)

And he didn't want to sign for them in the summer because he thought they were relegation fodder. By January the club looked a better prospect to him and he signed for them.

This may be the reality if we are going for the top talents. We aren't proven enough as a club yet. Players will look at us as a bottom 5 club. Would not surprise me one bit if Benrahma and Watkins are waiting around for better options.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

We play in 3 weeks. 

We currently have the worst keeper in the league and the worst strike force in the league. 

We've signed a rb 

Really don't want to turn negative but the recruitment last year pissed me off and now its looking woeful at this point. I hope things change soon.

What a waste of back to back miracle seasons if we don't significantly improve our squad this summer. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

This is Ollie Watkins we are talking about here. I highly doubt it will have anything to do with Dean Smith's profile if we don't sign him.

I'm just saying mate.

If we as a club want to take it to the next level we need to be able to attract the top talents.

Not having a high profile coach may become a problem for us.

Assuming my speculation that it was a matter of who blinks first in this transfer window (given the unknowns brought about by covid-19), it seems its going to have to be the buying clubs that do the blinking.  Selling clubs will now presumably want more as there's less time for them to get replacements, and so the market is going to be as over priced as it ever was.

Cash coming in isn't enough with a week to go. Maybe our delayed match against man city (what a farce that is with Sterling and Foden playing for England) gives us a bit of an extended grace period, but still not leaving signings any time to settle.  Hoping for 2 more this week in the positions we need, and that they hit the ground running. 

Concern level: moderate

We could/may go for at least one of the following yet:

Watkins

Edouard

Iheanacho

Batshuayi

Origi

Giroud (loan? Might be worth targeting players ahead of Euros who won’t be first choice at their clubs but need game time to prove their worth)

Would prefer any of those over Wilson.

Or players from abroad (a dream signing? Or potential star) that I hope we have already identified, surely Lange will have picked a few out.

As for the wings, I’m hoping we are quietly going to be completing a deal for Benrahma (along with Watkins) and/or Buendia. More Lange targets too hopefully...

It is getting a bit concerning now as time is flying but I’m still remaining hopeful and positive. Hopefully the relative silence just means we are keeping things close to the chest and working hard to get our business done.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We play in 3 weeks. 

We currently have the worst keeper in the league and the worst strike force in the league. 

We've signed a rb 

Really don't want to turn negative but the recruitment last year pissed me off and now its looking woeful at this point. I hope things change soon.

What a waste of back to back miracle seasons if we don't significantly improve our squad this summer. 

I can see why the negativeness is slowly creeping in...

I am not worried, frustrated we've not signed someone, but not worried.

For some reason I think we are in for a good week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I'm just saying mate.

If we as a club want to take it to the next level we need to be able to attract the top talents.

Not having a high profile coach may become a problem for us.

I guess it depends on who we are targeting. For the likes of Watkins and Cash it's not an issue, but when we are linked to someone like Rashica it probably does become a factor.

That and the fact that, unlike someone like West Ham, we are not prepared to smash our wage structure to try and "persuade" these players to join.

Thankfully.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Giroud (loan? Might be worth targeting players ahead of Euros who won’t be first choice at their clubs but need game time to prove their worth)

Highly unlikely mate.

We tried in January and his wages blew us away combined with the fact his heart was then set on a move to Inter Milan, which eventually also fell through.

He was what we needed then but I'm not sure he is what we are needing now.

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I can see why the negativeness is slowly creeping in...

I am not worried, frustrated we've not signed someone, but not worried.

For some reason I think we are in for a good week.

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Whilst I understand the need for patience and getting things done right, what we cannot do is panic buy near or on deadline day, 

we would almost certainly pay over the odds and undo all that hard work. 

we absolutely must make a couple of signings in the next seven days. 

42 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Is Zaha staying then? Nobody seems to be in for him. Obviously he was annoyed at not leaving last summer but then didn’t do himself any favours by having a pretty quiet summer. I assumed they’d bought Eze as a replacement but maybe just strengthening. 

You’d have thought they’d want a striker as Benteke isn’t exactly Gary Goals these days! 

Who is Gary Goals? Is he available for a decent fee? 

15 minutes ago, grobs said:

I have a feeling that we aren’t quite as rich as we thought. Will be worrying for Grealish and mcginn who both have publicly stated we need to add quality. 

Why on earth would Edens send a text to all of the team stating Our intention is to strengthen the team to restore it at the top of the premier league and Europe If that was not the case

Not saying you are wrong by the way

Edited by Follyfoot