Formula One - 2020

BOF

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

The ratio of shite to good races is getting bigger and bigger. 

The term ‘race’ is debatable - it’s not much more than a procession parade for Hamilton to pick up another championship.

At present the only thing standing in his way is reliability and that looks pretty solid.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

At present the only thing standing in his way is reliability and that looks pretty solid.

They can win it with the engines on about 70% output for 90% of the race so they’ll piss it.

Its a joke tbh. It’s been the same for a long time. Nobody can give them a race, and there isn’t even any competition between the 2 Mercedes drivers. 😴 💤 

• Like 1

It's hilarious watching Netflix trying to make the current era of F1 into an interesting documentary. Every race is a parade behind Hamilton so err yeah let's ignore that and try to extrapolate the minor dramas in the rest of the grid into compelling viewing.

Even Hamilton wants a closer fight. But yeah it's a shame when the win isn't up for grabs even if there are battles further back. It's why I never miss the F2 and F3 races now. They're very often better races and they make the race weekend far more enjoyable overall, plus have the added benefit of getting me up earlier than I would otherwise 😁

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

To the casual observer with no knowledge, it’s odd to put the fastest car at the front and wonder why its so rarely beaten.

They should have to carry ballast like race horses.

• Like 1

Lewis Hamilton has admitted that were he only a fan of Formula One he would probably tune in just for highlights of races given the dominance he and Mercedes are demonstrating this season.

After a controlled victory at the Belgian GP, Hamilton’s fifth of the season and Mercedes’ sixth from seven races, the world champion believed the spectacle was lacking compared to when he watched Michael Schumacher’s domination as a teenager. However, he insisted it is up to the rule makers to improve the competition.

Hamilton led every lap of the race from pole and his lead was not threatened. He finished eight seconds clear of his teammate Valtteri Bottas, with Max Verstappen a further seven behind in third. The race at the front was processional to such an extent that Verstappen repeatedly bemoaned how boring taking part in it was.

“When I was a teenage kid I would have woken up, had my bacon sarnie, watched the start and gone to sleep then woken up to watch the end,” Hamilton said. “If I was watching today I would do the same most likely and watch the highlights because they are much shorter.

“Having grown up watching the Schumacher era, of course I know what it is like. I feel the same as Max, it was not the most exciting. I enjoy it myself in the car because if you don’t enjoy the moment what’s the point in doing it? I am still able to enjoy the battle but perhaps it is not as much fun for people to watch. When you are in it it is different, but of course I would love a wheel-to-wheel race.”

Schumacher won five consecutive championships for Ferrari between 2000 and 2004. Hamilton has scored five in seven years with Mercedes and is on course for another. He insisted that the major regulation change with redesigned cars for 2022 would represent a great opportunity for the sport.

“What fans and people need to understand is this is not our fault, we are drivers, we have come through all the ranks, we have earned the positions we have,” he said. “We give everything to go out there and perform at our best. Ultimately the decision-makers who design cars, set rules, are the ones you could apply pressure to ultimately do a better job. I am hopeful that is what they are going to do in 2022.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/aug/30/lewis-hamilton-bemoans-the-fact-mercedes-are-in-a-one-horse-race?CMP=share_btn_tw

We all know how dominant that Mercedes car is and how the other teams very rarely improve enough each season to be any threat but I really think though a large part of the problem is Lewis' teammate. I'm a broken record with how much I go on about Bottas but he's a big reason this domination is so boring. Just imagine Lewis going at it with a Max or Ricciardo in this Mercedes, it would be absolutely incredible to watch even when they'd be so much better than the rest. Just remember some of the Hamilton v Rosberg battles.

It's a real shame we've got another whole year of this until the 22 regulations come in. The sport desperately needs it. 

Edited by Farlz
  • Like 1

If ever there was a time we didn’t want a back to back year with no changes it’s the 20/21 double header. F1 is my second sport behind football but it’s terrible at the moment, I think we had the one amazing race this season and almost everything else has been terrible, I love Spa but my god that was boring today.

They need to go back to the drawing board with almost everything, from tyres to car regulations, it feels like they are constantly managing engines and tyres and running at 70-90% for some reason or another, this is meant to be the pinnacle of motor sport and it really doesn’t feel like it at the moment.

• Like 1

I have little more than a passing interest in F1 but it strikes me that if it's so dull and people want change, then stop watching it. 

If viewing figures plummet and they stop selling tickets (when available) they will have to change. 

Until then they have no incentive other than to carry on with the status quo despite being as repetitive at Status Quo. 

On 30/08/2020 at 23:46, sidcow said:

I have little more than a passing interest in F1 but it strikes me that if it's so dull and people want change, then stop watching it. 

If viewing figures plummet and they stop selling tickets (when available) they will have to change. 

Until then they have no incentive other than to carry on with the status quo despite being as repetitive at Status Quo. 

The problem with that is even though its dull this year I still love it so unfortunately I'm not going to stop watching.

Also I think they are well aware of the current problems but with the world as it is at the moment they had no choice but to carry over this season to the next. Unfortunately its come at a time when there's no excitement whatsoever. Merc are dominating but one teammate isn't pulling his weight, Ferrari are nowhere after being pulled up on something with their engine. Red Bull has one team mate lightyears ahead of the other and the rest of the pack are literally the midfield now, call me old fashioned but I just don't care about the likes of Haas and Racing Point, there's no history there and their drivers are boring for the most part. 

Apart from Verstappen pushing someone a couple of years back (Ocon I think) and Rosberg throwing a cap at Hamilton 3-4 years ago when did something controversial happen between the drivers? They are so micromanaged by their watch companies and tons of sponsors it all feels so sterile now.

Edited by AVFCDAN

On 30/08/2020 at 23:46, sidcow said:

To be fair there are big changes planned soon.

18 minutes ago, Genie said:

Clair and Frank Williams leave the Williams F1 team after this weekends race. Very sad indeed, 40 years after Frank created it. 

Still find it hard to understand how Williams fell so far. They were so dominant at one stage.

Then again, as Villa fans... Hmmm

• Like 1