Formula One - 2020

BOF

On 09/10/2020 at 12:18, BOF said:

Oh and it looks like Kimi is taking his option on the Alfa seat for 2021. You would think that's curtains for Giovinazzi with 3 Ferrari protégés waiting in the wings.

Kimi just said there is no option on his current contract. He has a 2 year deal that is due to expire. If he stays he needs to be offered a new deal.

• Thanks 1

I'm 100% serious when I say this, Alex Albon is one of the worst drivers on the grid. I can't believe he had the cheek to say Gasly was racing him too hard, what does he expect exactly? :crylaugh:

Absolutely delighted for Ricciardo though. He fully deserves that, he's been fantastic lately. 

• Like 2

Not his biggest fan but it's a phenomenal achievement from Lewis. Can't deny he's a supremely talented driver. 

I guess it all depends on the next dominant car and who drives it but it will take some effort to overtake Lewis' record by the time he decides to call it a day. 

• Like 1

I'm gonna ask this to those of you who have watched F1 since Senna's days. How has the cross team competition changed? Or to phrase it better, I assume engines at Mercedes, Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, Renault etc. have each had their periods of dominance. Whether the driver was Senna, Raik, Coult, Schumacher, Montoya, Lewis, Prost or whatever. 

So if you look at Schumacher at Ferrari how does it compare to Lewis and Mercedes? Is what Lewis have done more impressive? Less? Is the F1 more competitive now or less? Have they capped engine investment? I haven't paid much attention I feel. 

14 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm gonna ask this to those of you who have watched F1 since Senna's days. How has the cross team competition changed? Or to phrase it better, I assume engines at Mercedes, Ferrari, Williams, McLaren, Renault etc. have each had their periods of dominance. Whether the driver was Senna, Raik, Coult, Schumacher, Montoya, Lewis, Prost or whatever. 

So if you look at Schumacher at Ferrari how does it compare to Lewis and Mercedes? Is what Lewis have done more impressive? Less? Is the F1 more competitive now or less? Have they capped engine investment? I haven't paid much attention I feel. 

I think the big change is how professional it has become.  It was always professional in the literal sense, but back then there was a huge discrepancy from the front of the grid to the back.  The margins in performance were massive.  The entry level to get onto the grid was pretty low.  There were privateers that were only one step above cowboys. Nowadays there is no room for a Coloni or a Pacific F1.  The 'worst' team on the grid today is within a few percentage points of the top team.  Also the reliability these days is just insane compared to back then.  The sport is unrecognisable in a lot of ways, similar in others, better in some ways and worse in others.  It has evolved with a changing world and while it has lost something, it has gained in ways that keep it relevant and make it a feasible sport under an ever-increasing spotlight.

As for competitiveness.  I don't think there's much difference between Schumacher's era and Hamilton's.  You have to go back further for meaningful differences, like Senna's era.  You would think the tightening up of the grid would make it more competitive but actually it hasn't.  It's kind of the same. The reliability has removed a big variable.  In that sense there are still only ever a few teams who can regularly win a race. That hasn't changed.  It has made surprises more difficult, but thankfully you can still get a Brawn F1, or an AlphaTauri/STR winning or a Pastor Maldonado winning a race.  But I think the car is more a factor now than it was in the 80s. Not in Michael's time.  In that time the car was still king.  Getting a Senna Monaco in 84 would be trickier now.  Comparing what Michael did with what Lewis did, I suppose all we can say is it's similar, and people will choose their favourites.  They're both in the conversation for greatest ever, and we know that's a never-ending conversation.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Farlz said:

I'm 100% serious when I say this, Alex Albon is one of the worst drivers on the grid. I can't believe he had the cheek to say Gasly was racing him too hard, what does he expect exactly? :crylaugh:

Absolutely delighted for Ricciardo though. He fully deserves that, he's been fantastic lately. 

Albon had a 'mare yesterday and I genuinely think when Red Bull are looking back and assessing who they go forward with, it will be days like today that influence them. He was a loose cannon today. Flat-spotted 2 separate sets of tyres, just drove over the front of Kvyat's front wing, moaned about being raced too hard by what he would like to be a completely subservient junior team, and then mercifully got retired by a punctured radiator. He does not want to be giving Red Bull any reasons to dump him.  At the very least he should be showing them he can be there or thereabouts in the best of the rest conversation but he has finished in the top 5 four times in eleven races and has 16 WDC pts in his last 4 races.  Nowhere near good enough.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Albon had a 'mare yesterday and I genuinely think when Red Bull are looking back and assessing who they go forward with, it will be days like today that influence them. He was a loose cannon today. Flat-spotted 2 separate sets of tyres, just drove over the front of Kvyat's front wing, moaned about being raced too hard by what he would like to be a completely subservient junior team, and then mercifully got retired by a punctured radiator. He does not want to be giving Red Bull any reasons to dump him.  At the very least he should be showing them he can be there or thereabouts in the best of the rest conversation but he has finished in the top 5 four times in eleven races and has 16 WDC pts in his last 4 races.  Nowhere near good enough.

They probably won't do this because it's Red Bull but they really need to drop Albon back to Alpha Tauri and be looking at either Hulk or Perez for that second seat with Max. 

12 minutes ago, Farlz said:

They probably won't do this because it's Red Bull but they really need to drop Albon back to Alpha Tauri and be looking at either Hulk or Perez for that second seat with Max. 

I don't think Red Bull would have any qualms in dropping him. Marko is ruthless. I'd love to see them go for Pérez for what is a place-holder year in 2021 ready for the overhaul in 2022.  They have a lot they need to sort out next year so they don't need to be worrying about their second seat. They've an engine supply to sort out for the following year and make sure Max goes nowhere, plus stick Tsunoda in the AlphaTauri and see what he's got. Sergio would be a great addition to that team and as a known quantity he'd give Max the help in the WDC to better strategically attack the Mercs. Hulk would be quality too but if I'm Marko I'm going for Pérez.

Just thought I'd stick this here as info for anyone remotely interested. It could have an impact on getting into F1, but probably just for testing purposes. Seems from twitter noise that the one obvious beneficiary would be Red Bull junior, Jüri Vips.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumours they may go with 2 rookies.  Schumacher and Mazepin.  The former as a Ferrari sweetener to keep Renault from buying Haas as a junior team and the latter because his Dad is loaded.  My guess is Hulk to Red Bull and Perez seems to be tipped to replace George Russell at Williams.  Again partly because of money.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

Rumours they may go with 2 rookies.  Schumacher and Mazepin.  The former as a Ferrari sweetener to keep Renault from buying Haas as a junior team and the latter because his Dad is loaded.  My guess is Hulk to Red Bull and Perez seems to be tipped to replace George Russell at Williams.  Again partly because of money.

Does that mean Russell has no seat at all? That would be ridiculous and should mean he gets the second seat at Merc instead of Bottas but he’s just signed a new deal hasn’t he.

19 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Does that mean Russell has no seat at all? That would be ridiculous and should mean he gets the second seat at Merc instead of Bottas but he’s just signed a new deal hasn’t he.

It would unfortunately, and yes IIRC Bottas has.  It wouldn't be the end of the world for him because I'm pretty sure Merc think highly of him and he has age on his side, and Ocon has come back from a hiatus recently.  But yeah it's a bit shit.  Speaking of Ocon, there's also a rumour that Renault will replace him with Gasly, as they (and the French) rate him extremely highly especially after his race win.

1 hour ago, Jimzk5 said:

Arguably the worst driver pairing in history is over, grosjean and magnusson the leave Haas at the end of the season 

I think there have been many much worse pairings over the years. But this pairing and team has just gone stale. Both drivers basically saying they've not been retained for financial reasons, which you would think all but confirms Nikita Mazepin in my post above.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

It would unfortunately, and yes IIRC Bottas has.  It wouldn't be the end of the world for him because I'm pretty sure Merc think highly of him and he has age on his side, and Ocon has come back from a hiatus recently.  But yeah it's a bit shit.  Speaking of Ocon, there's also a rumour that Renault will replace him with Gasly, as they (and the French) rate him extremely highly especially after his race win.

I have to hold my hands up and say I expected much more from Ocon this year, it would be easy to blame the car but Renault haven’t been too bad this year and he’s been soundly beaten by Daniel in fairness.