Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

7 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Not sure why he is even playing the Australian Open to be honest. Give yourself another 5 months recovery and just play a farewell Wimbledon.

I think I read on one of the sites, maybe the guardian that he only realised just how terminal the situation was in December, so to be honest I think he's probably only just processing it now and he's not emotionally ready to pull out of a tournament he may never play again and where he's come so close so often ( he'll lose in the first round here though obviously it seems )

• Like 1

Try and be humble and keep yourself to yourself and shy away from the public spotlight - you're miserable. Lap it up and act like the big man (thinking Lewis Hamilton) - you're an arrogant word removed.

Can't win in most cases unfortunately.

The way I see it is that he's a bloody good tennis player who was never meant to be thrust into the public eye and all the media commitments that come with it, not everybody has the personality that translates well in that case, no reason to bash him for it though.

Edited by AVFCDAN

It's a shame that he'll end up with just the 3 slams , he deserved more ,he  was partly unlucky to be playing in an era with the greatest 2 tennis players of all time , maybe 3 if you count Nadal   ..but he also beat himself far too many times mentally on the court , to this day I'll never understand how he lost that US open match to Nishikori , but a bell or whatever it was clanging got inside his head and he lost it ... and that was a regular theme in his career

Yep he could be petulant at times but I think accusations he was a miserable sod are wider of the mark than Emile Heskey from 6 yards out 

5 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Not sure why he is even playing the Australian Open to be honest. Give yourself another 5 months recovery and just play a farewell Wimbledon.

Fair play to him though, there are some that still don't like him for whatever reason (mainly an off the cuff cliché anyone but England remark about 10 years ago) but he's been am amazing servant to British tennis and apart from a few lost finals in the Aus Open he really couldn't have done much more in the game.

He's not going to win any of the slams in his current physical condition and this will almost certainly be the last time he gets to be involved in them as a player. I totally get why he's entering. 

3 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

When you consider that Wawrinka has also won 3 slams then Murray has definitely underachieved in that regard. Stan is a great player but he's definitely a rung lower on the ladder.

True, though the Davis Cup (how the **** did we manage to win that?), Olympic golds and pretty much keeping up with the big 3 in the world rankings for so long make up for it a bit.

Sad to see Murray go, but he is so overrated. He was consistently the 4th best out of Nadal, Federer, and Djokovic. Occasionally Murray had an amazing tournament, but he was never truly at their level. Even if Murray played in a different era, I don't think he would have dominated or even close to it.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

It's a shame that he'll end up with just the 3 slams , he deserved more ,he  was partly unlucky to be playing in an era with the greatest 2 tennis players of all time , maybe 3 if you count Nadal   ..but he also beat himself far too many times mentally on the court , to this day I'll never understand how he lost that US open match to Nishikori , but a bell or whatever it was clanging got inside his head and he lost it ... and that was a regular theme in his career

Yep he could be petulant at times but I think accusations he was a miserable sod are wider of the mark than Emile Heskey from 6 yards out 

If you count Nadal? Nadal is flat out better than Djokovic. Nadal has been far more consistent in his career. Nadal has more open titles, and considering all of Nadal's injuries, he still is only 2nd to Federer in terms of matches won ever. 

Djokovic is undoubtedly an amazing tennis player, but it's 1. Federer, 1a. Nadal, and then 2. Djokovic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Chris Hoy Bradley Wiggins and Geraint Thomas say 'Hello' !!!

maybe he meant the best "clean" British sportsman of all time  :)  

disclaimer - generic cyclist joke rather than any  direct allegations

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Sad to see Murray go, but he is so overrated. He was consistently the 4th best out of Nadal, Federer, and Djokovic. Occasionally Murray had an amazing tournament, but he was never truly at their level. Even if Murray played in a different era, I don't think he would have dominated or even close to it.  

Consistently 4th best out of three greatest of all time players? Djokovic is the least successful of the three and he's one slam away from surpassing Sampras. Murray was a good player, his main fault was not being as good as three players that will go down as the greatest players of all time. Sure it's disappointing that he only won three grand slams, but being 4th best out of those three is pretty impressive, and to come away with some slam wins as well? It's more than I thought he'd ever achieve when he debuted given the failure to launch that was Tim Henman. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daweii said:

Consistently 4th best out of three greatest of all time players? Djokovic is the least successful of the three and he's one slam away from surpassing Sampras. Murray was a good player, his main fault was not being as good as three players that will go down as the greatest players of all time. Sure it's disappointing that he only won three grand slams, but being 4th best out of those three is pretty impressive, and to come away with some slam wins as well? It's more than I thought he'd ever achieve when he debuted given the failure to launch that was Tim Henman. 

It's very impressive to be 4th against those 3 considering they are arguably the best tennis players ever. All I am saying is, Murray was never truly up to their level but he wasn't far off. He obviously would have won more opens if he didn't have to play against them, but I don't think he would have been as dominate as say Federer. Still a great tennis player, and I am sad to see he has to retire this way. 

• Like 1

There is no doubt that he is an extremely hard working talented sportsman. To win what he has in this era of three of the greatest players to grace the game is some achievement. And all credit to him.

I’ve never liked him though, found him such a bad loser, always making excuses rather than accepting defeat gracefully. Some of his comments when he was coming through as well have always jarred me.

As I said here before, the hacker style of Murray, Nadal and Djokovic is extremely ruinous on your body, not surprised he's crippled from it. Has to be said that he's had one hell of a career, he has a decent amount of natural talent, the rest is down to his physical conditioning and sheer hard work. I grew to like him more over time so it's a shame.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Hatton, Murray, Rooney. The British love that underdog champion, the raw aggressive, physical style whose will often supersedes more talented or gifted players.

Unfortunately the shelf life of these sportsmen is short, andthe hits takes the toll on the body. I knew Murray wouldn't have a long shelf life once he hit 30.

That's why technical legends like Mayweather, Federer and Crouchy still do the business well into their 30s.

• Haha 1

It's sad to see Murray go, I think it's fair to say that Djokovic and Murray forced each other to up their levels.

The competition between Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Wawrinka and Murray over the last 10-15 years has been great and I don't think we will see it again. Murray has played his part in that.

The player he is would have won a lot more in his career in another generation. But as with all of them would he have been that player without the other 4.

Â