Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Federer is simply the greatest of all time, out lasting his competition big time, what a legend.

The game had to adapt to Federer by producing ultra fit hackers like Murray, Nadal and Djokovic, obviously there's more to them then hacking but I've always seen that as their first principle and they build from there. This style only leads to physical breakdown. 

Federer's elegant movement and winner first mentality has seen him perform at the highest level at an advanced age.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Federer is simply the greatest of all time, out lasting his competition big time, what a legend.

The game had to adapt to Federer by producing ultra fit hackers like Murray, Nadal and Djokovic, obviously there's more to them then hacking but I've always seen that as their first principle and they build from there. This style only leads to physical breakdown. 

Federer's elegant movement and winner first mentality has seen him perform at the highest level at an advanced age.

At a minimum one, and I would say with high probability 2, of those were aided by lots of drugs, lots and lots.

• Like 1

On the subject of Federer, he's the GOAT without doubt. I hope he carries on until the 2020 Olympics to add the Olympic single gold to his list of achievements as it's the only thing missing IMO.

With Murray, I think he's got possibly got one last swansong at Wimbledon in him and then that will be it. Hopefully Edmund can build on his fantastic Aus Open and start making progress in other GS and Masters 500/1000 tournaments.

13 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Fairly sure Nadal and Djokovic have both juiced extensively. 

I agree, especially Nadal. I think he's served a couple of shadowbans. Mysterious things like pulling out of FO 2015 with a sudden injury despite creaming the opposition up till then. They had to absolutely push the limits of fitness to achieve a higher level than Fed but broke themselves in the process. Nadal will get 2-3 more slams i think but joko and murray no more than 2 between them. 

Also how embarrassing for the new generation that a 36 1/2 year old is still the best. 

Really hope Cilic can do this one. Not from an anti-Fed perspective, I think Marin has played well and that Wimbledon final was pretty sad. 1 set at all so competitive at least.

In other news - Wozniacki wins a slam! What happened there? Cracking match really, and I'm sure halep will win one soon, but that's 3 losing finals now.

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Cilic did well for a serve bot, however Federer, wow, he will never be surpassed. Nadal may equal the record but he will never be considered anywhere near as good as Federer. 

I guess we’ll just ignore the fact that he has quite a clear winning head to head against him then.

Federer is by far the greatest ever. Plus he wins on most surfaces. He’s like Ronaldinho/Ali in their prime, in that they made everything look easy.

Federer has won 10% of all majors since the sport turning professional in 68. Just take that in, 10%!

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Federer is by far the greatest ever. Plus he wins on most surfaces. He’s like Ronaldinho/Ali in their prime, in that they made everything look easy.

Federer has won 10% of all majors since the sport turning professional in 68. Just take that in, 10%!

be a shout for him being the greatest athlete ever. His longevity at the top in such a physical sport is crazy

• Like 1

Cameron Norrie has just won his first ever pro match on Clay in the Davis Cup against Spain. Came back from 2 sets down against Batista Agusta. Agusta had a bit of an injury I think in the 4th, but nevertheless that was a terrific performance. 

He's now 1 set all with Vinolas the world 21! Impressive stuff this, crucial match as Britain lost the doubles. This lad has got the game and mentality to be another good prospect, great left hand forehand on him.

• 3 months later...

Kyle Edmund's really cracking on:

Madrid Open: Britain's Kyle Edmund beats Novak Djokovic

British number one Kyle Edmund beat 12-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic in three sets to reach the third round of the Madrid Open.

Edmund, 23, beat the 30-year-old Serb 6-3 2-6 6-3 in one hour, 40 minutes and will now climb into the world's top 20.

He will play David Goffin in the next round after the Belgian's 7-5 6-3 win over Robin Haase of the Netherlands.

...more on link

Despite Tennis being my second sport behind Football I haven't properly watched any since Wimbledon last year so its great news on Kyle Edmund doing so well.

I remember when he first cracked the Top 100 and his game was nothing more than a big serve and forehand so he must have added a lot to his game, anyone lurking around the top 20 in the world has to be a great talent.

• 3 months later...

WTA distanced themselves from that one. I think they were pointing the finger squarely at the US Open.

It was ridiculous.

I enjoyed Sloan Stephens very publicly asking the umpire to clarify whether she had to leave the court to change her top in front of the cameras last night before the Murray tie. Point well made.

• Like 1

Federer Kyrgios will be a stormer. Nick could win that if he keeps his head together. Usually tries a bit more against the top boys.

Murray is done. He'll never win another slam or 1000. He can't move! Racquet skills are 90% there but his movement is 60% of what it was. This was him after over a year off inc. rehab.

A fantastic career full of titles and achievements. One of my favourite sportsman ever.

• 4 months later...

Well, it's been coming but looks like Murray is at the end of the road. Hope he can finish with a win or two at Wimbledon, but if not he's clearly been Britain's greatest tennis player and one of the best athletes we've had. One Aussie Open short of winning all he could ( French was never too realistic I think ) but he arguably extracted the maximum he could. 2016 was a helluva year for him, 2nd Wimbledon 2nd Olympics, all those late wins and getting number 1. Body it seems just said 'and we're  done' pretty much after that.

• Like 2

Â