Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

• 5 months later...

Yep, and the other seeds in his quarter lost ( Pouille and Sock) so, if he continues playing well he has a good shout at making the quarter finals where he'd meet Dmitrov. Long way to go and matches won't be easy but there's no-one he should fear. 

And if he gets that far, then he did take Dimitrov all the way when they played a couple of weeks ago so - you never know, but having said all of that, no doubt he'll be injured or lose the next match :P 

6 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Yep, and the other seeds in his quarter lost ( Pouille and Sock) so, if he continues playing well he has a good shout at making the quarter finals where he'd meet Dmitrov. Long way to go and matches won't be easy but there's no-one he should fear. 

And if he gets that far, then he did take Dimitrov all the way when they played a couple of weeks ago so - you never know, but having said all of that, no doubt he'll be injured or lose the next match :P 

He's far from the finished article but not a bad player at all. Murrays don't come along that often unfortunately so we are lucky to have at least one more player in the top 50. British tennis is still in the doldrums at the moment.

Kyle Edmund makes the quarter finals :)

Dmitrov or Kyrios - probably the latter I reckon up next will be a massive test but as underdog, he'll have less pressure on him. Should be a good match. Now heres hoping for a 5 hour epic between his prospective opponents :)

• Like 1

As much as I find Dmitrov extremely overrated he'll have too much for Edmund (looks like Kyrios is going to lose this one). That said, quarters is a great achievement for Edmund, hasn't had the hardest passage by any means but deserves it for that win over Anderson in the first round and Seppi also often a tricky opponent. 

Dimitrov actually hasn't impressed me that much this tournament, was very lucky to win his second round match against a player I'd never heard of.

He's just won a very tough set v Krygios though so should get through that now.

Kyle Edmund did play him just before this tournament and it was a tight three set match.

Already reading stuff "can Edmund emulate Murray" etc.....well no as Murray is a once in a generation player for British tennis.

Kyle is capable of top 20 though without question, maybe 10. It's important post Murray British tennis has some players capable of at least making the second week of slams just to keep the interest going. 

Dan Evans was another one capable of that before he blew it last year.

16 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Dimitrov actually hasn't impressed me that much this tournament, was very lucky to win his second round match against a player I'd never heard of.

He's just won a very tough set v Krygios though so should get through that now.

Kyle Edmund did play him just before this tournament and it was a tight three set match.

Already reading stuff "can Edmund emulate Murray" etc.....well no as Murray is a once in a generation player for British tennis.

Kyle is capable of top 20 though without question, maybe 10. It's important post Murray British tennis has some players capable of at least making the second week of slams just to keep the interest going. 

Dan Evans was another one capable of that before he blew it last year.

Nice pun!

• Like 4

Yes Dmitrov, though good, has not been great this year, and Edmund would definitely push either player, but for now I think he may came up short, he's also received medical attention to his shoulder a few times so maybe still getting used to regular best of 5s. He's had a lot of tennis so far.

Definitely think he can be top 20, as for top 10 I think he needs to work on his belief maybe? Well hopefully whatever happens he'll feel he belongs more now after this tournament

• Like 1

Erm, He's about to serve for the match in the 4th set :o Go Kyle! From what the radio has been like sounds as if Grigor has helped him along the way but Edmund has been playing very well too.

Edited by Rodders

Amazing, this could be the tournament he breaks through, top 30 guaranteed now and if he can stay around there it gets a bit easier with draws.

Someone made a comment on the bbc live text that I agree with. Murray is a one-off but he does have a very gruelling style, its nice to see someone who can tee off and win points with amazing shots.

8 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Amazing, this could be the tournament he breaks through, top 30 guaranteed now and if he can stay around there it gets a bit easier with draws.

Someone made a comment on the bbc live text that I agree with. Murray is a one-off but he does have a very gruelling style, its nice to see someone who can tee off and win points with amazing shots.

I think I'm one of the few who enjoys Murray's style. He builds up the point and forces the mistake or looks for the winner. Seeing Murray draw an opponent where he doesn't want to go is quite brilliant. However, it doesn't always work and this is when people get on his back. Edmunds style is more aesthetically pleasing but it's working for him and seeing him win this morning in a Bulgarian hotel made it all the more sweeter.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I think I'm one of the few who enjoys Murray's style. He builds up the point and forces the mistake or looks for the winner. Seeing Murray draw an opponent where he doesn't want to go is quite brilliant. However, it doesn't always work and this is when people get on his back. Edmunds style is more aesthetically pleasing but it's working for him and seeing him win this morning in a Bulgarian hotel made it all the more sweeter.

Murray made the absolute best of what he was given, no one can take that away from him.

His style is also the reason he hasn't won more grand slams though. That ability to win a free point to ease the tension is so crucial at the back end of tournaments and its something Murray never really had.

That's why I've always admired Nadal more than Federer personally, so much of his dominance was just pure aggression and resolution rather than big serving and forehands.

Edited by AVFCDAN

Nadal absolutely in prime is so explosive to watch, but having gone through the "when the buggering hell does Fed stop winning it all" to this point of "oh my god he's still got it that's amazing", I just admire the adaptability of Federer to come back and win by changing style and keep going at 36. I'd love Murray to come back but it's unlikely to be at slam winning level.

Â