Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Sweden #1 and #51 in the world Mikael Ymer has been banned 18 months for skipping 3 doping tests. Shame, they guy is a total weapon but he's having a rather good year by current Swedish standards.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Thought he came across as a prick tbh, trying to claim he should have won, saying he maybe won some tournaments that he shouldn't have earlier in the season by inference that he should have won that one, even stevens my arse. Don't recall him congratulating the winner either.

he congratulated him a few times and even said the best player won , he commented on how amazing he and his team were to pull that off after only his 4th tournament on grass ( the surface, not smoking it :) ) 

I didn't take any inference that he was saying he should have won that final , more that sometimes you get the luck and today he didn't ... in that 5th set he played about 3 or 4 "winners" , that somehow Alcaraz got back and won the point .. 

personally I thought Novak was happy for him , he did the photos and then appeared to make a point of saying , its your moment now Ok if i leave you to it 

there's a lot to dislike about him ..the  toilet break and the slow bounce between each serve to disrupt play , but I thought his actions at the end were classy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

he congratulated him a few times and even said the best player won , he commented on how amazing he and his team were to pull that off after only his 4th tournament on grass ( the surface, not smoking it :) ) 

I didn't take any inference that he was saying he should have won that final , more that sometimes you get the luck and today he didn't ... in that 5th set he played about 3 or 4 "winners" , that somehow Alcaraz got back and won the point .. 

personally I thought Novak was happy for him , he did the photos and then appeared to make a point of saying , its your moment now Ok if i leave you to it 

there's a lot to dislike about him ..the  toilet break and the slow bounce between each serve to disrupt play , but I thought his actions at the end were classy. 

He has had some jammy wins, twice at the US Open Federer had two match points on him and again at Wimbledon 2019 another two, the odds of wangling out of all of them are miniscule but he did it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Incredible achievement by Djokovic to win his third slam of the year and his 24th overall.  Seems to keep adding elements to his game to counter the the power and speed of these younger guys. His net play. Volleying was exceptional last night.

1 hour ago, Rustibrooks said:

Coco Gauff has become the one of the youngest to win the US Open

Yes it was only a matter of time. Shes been on the circuit for about 5 years now but still only 19. Raducanu was younger. Lot of really good female players about. 

• Like 1

Just watching Dan Evans for GB in the Davis Cup. The fact that he's a Brummie and a Villan makes him that much more likable. Also, he may not be the greatest player, but he does produce moments of sheer brilliance. I rememberFederer after playing him said, "it was like playing myself in the mirror," that's some compliment. 

• Like 1

On 12/09/2023 at 17:35, theboyangel said:

Simona Halep banned for 4yrs for doping offences. she’s won two grand slams in her career - wonder if they’ll be taken off her? 

No of course not as she didn't test positive during those tournaments. That's not to say she wasn't doping at the time of course.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

After playing just 2 matches Emma Raducanu has pulled out of a pre Australian Open Charity tournament because she feels a bit sore.

She really is the Keinan Davis of the tennis world.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2024 at 09:45, sidcow said:

After playing just 2 matches Emma Raducanu has pulled out of a pre Australian Open Charity tournament because she feels a bit sore.

She really is the Keinan Davis of the tennis world.

Won her first-round match and looked in good form. Needs an injury-free year to see what she can do long term for her career. 

Surely it is getting to an end for Murray. I mean it is unbelievable that he is a top 40 players with an artificial hip but the glory days are not coming back.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Won her first-round match and looked in good form. Needs an injury-free year to see what she can do long term for her career. 

Surely it is getting to an end for Murray. I mean it is unbelievable that he is a top 40 players with an artificial hip but the glory days are not coming back.

Murray keeps saying it's probably the end but then turns up again anyway. 

I get the desire to keep going but he's probably destroying his body and going to be in all sorts of pain later in life. 

Nah, I'm pretty sure he'll quit this year, I think the disillusionment is seeping in re his performances. He was so flat in his defeat. He won't tolerate much more of that. If he doesn't have a significant improvement in results, I can see him calling it a day at Wimbledon this year.

If Jack Draper avoids all those injury, cramp issues that plagued him last year, he's going to shoot up the rankings, be a top 20 player come the end of the year I'd have thought. 

Edited by Rodders

8 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Nah, I'm pretty sure he'll quit this year, I think the disillusionment is seeping in re his performances. He was so flat in his defeat. He won't tolerate much more of that. If he doesn't have a significant improvement in results, I can see him calling it a day at Wimbledon this year.

If Jack Draper avoids all those injury, cramp issues that plagued him last year, he's going to shoot up the rankings, be a top 20 player come the end of the year I'd have thought. 

For the last 5 years, he has been in denial. He probably had to kid himself he would be competitive at the slams to get through the huge amount of physical work getting back into shape. I think this will be his last year on tour, maybe a go at the doubles with Jamie at the Olympics.

Novax is still world-class at a similar age but has been more  fortunate with the injuries. Surely 10 Australian Opens is enough for one person?

Just nearly sliced the end of my finger off with the bastard bread knife. It just went through a crusty roll like butter then kept going through my finger. Goddam thing. 

19 hours ago, sidcow said:

Just nearly sliced the end of my finger off with the bastard bread knife. It just went through a crusty roll like butter then kept going through my finger. Goddam thing. 

And that would've been the end of your tennis career I suppose?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

And that would've been the end of your tennis career I suppose?

How the fook did that end up in here? 😂😂

• Haha 3

Â