Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

I don't think there's anyone out there that will begrudge Lisicki winning that.

As for Robson... She's just not good enough to compete at the top yet. I'm not sure she has (or will ever have) the mental strength/composure to maybe it to the very top. She always made daft errors whenever I've seen her play.

As for Robson... She's just not good enough to compete at the top yet. I'm not sure she has (or will ever have) the mental strength/composure to maybe it to the very top. She always made daft errors whenever I've seen her play.

I think she's potentially a top 10 player but we overhype our players really. How many world class tennis players have we produced in the last 40 years 1-2? ??? Because its an upper middleclass sport in this Country. Compare to a small country like Serbia and the amount of quality tennis players they have produced.

Yes best thing for womens tennis is Williams going out. Opens it up now

I think she has the potential but she does need a bloody good coach ASAP because there are times when it looks like her only idea is to hit it back as hard as posssible, there is no real plan to move her opponent around to open up the court.

Womens tennis is far more open than the mens and I wouldnt be suprised to see her make the top 10 in the next 2 to 3 years its how high up the top 10 that a good coach could change....

Robson seems like she doesn't have that killer edge needed to play at the very top.  She'll be a decent enough player, but seems like Henman to be too "nice".  Tennis in the UK will never produce more than 1 or 2 decent players every decade unless it completely reinvents itself.

It was unchartered territory for her and it probably made her nervous. She'll be better and more accustomed to the pressures next time she finds herself in that situation. This might be the making of her now that she'll have some belief that she can mix it with the higher ranked players.

Robson is the youngest player in the top 50 and i'm sure she will improve and probably be top 10 before long... has she got it in her to win a major? I don't think so. I hope she proves me wrong though! 

I think she needs to get stronger physically. The top players all look stronger.

Robsons problem is she is too erratic. For every ace there is a double fault amd for every winner there is an unforced error. If u see her stats she makes as many if not more winners than her opponents but her unforced errors are if the scale. She throws away the equivalent of about 6 games just in errors.she needs a top quality coach.

I think she needs to get stronger physically. The top players all look stronger.

Robsons problem is she is too erratic. For every ace there is a double fault amd for every winner there is an unforced error. If u see her stats she makes as many if not more winners than her opponents but her unforced errors are if the scale. She throws away the equivalent of about 6 games just in errors.she needs a top quality coach.

Robson will never be a top player because she was coached by the LTA. Simple as that.

• Like 1

I was simply reiterating that there is literally no point in discussing where Robson's shortfalls are because ultimately her biggest shortfall is that she was coached by the LTA. :P

• Like 1

She's also terribly middle class. How awful. I bet she likes Mumford & Sons.

Tennis is the UK is terribly middle class as a rule. We're trying to get more kids into it at the moment through street tennis and play anywhere.

I'm going to have a rant before bed though. Proof that Robson will be nothing special is right in front of us. How many top, top players have we produced in recent years? Murray doesn't count because he wasn't even coached by the LTA. Henman? Nope, didn't come through LTA. The amount of funding the LTA get is absolutely ridiculous. We spend similar amounts as Spain, France and far more than Serbia and Switzerland yet they can produce higher volumes of players that can hack it at the top level.

The fault lies squarely at the feet of the LTA. They use such a backwards system that completely holds back any player of any worth. The guys who are going to be top players start when they're 4/5 and so can comfortably rally at 5/6. Within the LTA, you have to take parts in tournaments only for your age group; regardless of ability. You can also only take part in the corresponding LTA-run group sessions within your age group. This sounds pretty sensible until you realise the limitations of this. Most importantly, up to 8 years old with the LTA, you have to use red balls (shit hollow light things) and play on a 1/2 size court. Then you move up to orange at 10 (3/4 court), then green at 12. Only at 12 can you play on a full sized court. Obviously if you're having private lessons (which most top young players are, the coaching side isn't an issue) but in tournaments you have to go straight back down to your corresponding ball type and court size.

Secondly, you have to stick with your age group. Kids at 6 who are absolutely amazing have to play with kids who can hardly hit a ball. Again, private coaching but at that age you cannot just be coached 1 on 1. The kid would lose interest by 8. 

There is also not enough funding at getting tennis into less affluent areas so it simply becomes a case of 'if you can afford it, you'll play it'. There IS the funding there but it's being spent on ridiculous academies that aren't producing ANYBODY. 

Really makes me think that maybe there's a deep rooted sense of idiocy that we English people can't shake off when it comes to coaching. Football and tennis have millions spend on them yet we can't produce any sort of quality. There's RPT who are the biggest coaching group in Europe and coached Murray, Nadal and Del Potro and my dad works with the UK boss who gets more and more angry at the complete failure of the LTA, yet the RPT struggle to get any sort of funding in the UK. They're finally implementing some of the RPT's ideas (street tennis and get into the game) but god they've had to fight for it.

So while you're watching Murray lift the Wimbledon trophy, don't think of it as a success for British tennis. It's not.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Â