Tennis: General Chat

snowychap

Not gonna go on about how I called it 2 rounds ago, but called it :D

And not pissing on chips but although he's British by birth, he was coached in Spain :D

Viva la RPT!

Edited by StefanAVFC

Thought Djokovic and family were classy in defeat.

I suppose when you've won seven slams (is it that many?) it becomes a little easier to be gracious but I agree - strikes me as though the default setting for tennisists is to be like that (similar to golfers) though I may well be wallowing in a pool of goodwill myself!

All sporting allegiances are ridiculous if you pick them apart. You are getting vicarious satisfaction from the triumphs of people you don't know or have a single thing in common with, based upon the arbitrary criterion of, "I was born in the same place".

• Like 1

Not gonna go on about how I called it 2 rounds ago, but called it :D

And not pissing on chips but although he's British by birth, he was coached in Spain :D

Viva la RPT!

Predicting the world number 2 would win his home grand slam sure was ballsy.

Considering I was immediately shot down for suggesting it, I'd say so :D

Bloody bloody brilliant. I've been a fan of his for years and this is a tremendous moment for him. And for British sport. Growing up I never thought I'd seen a home nation win the rugby World Cup, England win the Ashes convincingly down under, a Brit win Wimbledon and GB smash it at the Olympics. And I've seen all these in the last 10 years. Just Villa winning a big trophy again to go :)

• Like 2

England football team the understudy?

All sporting allegiances are ridiculous if you pick them apart. You are getting vicarious satisfaction from the triumphs of people you don't know or have a single thing in common with, based upon the arbitrary criterion of, "I was born in the same place".

I take it you don't support Aston Villa then?

Edited by Voinjama

Not really a tennis fan, but I just had to watch , so compelling.

Great stuff from Muzza, a proper Herculian effort, what a boy.

Has there ever been a Brit in any sport with as much pressure on them as Murray had today?

England football team the understudy?

I take it you don't support Aston Villa then?

Not that bothered about the England team in football. Never identified with them like I do other sports.

Thought Djokovic and family were classy in defeat.

I suppose when you've won seven slams (is it that many?) it becomes a little easier to be gracious but I agree - strikes me as though the default setting for tennisists is to be like that (similar to golfers) though I may well be wallowing in a pool of goodwill myself!

Will I agree with your logic, in practise I generally think people are gracious and decent or they aren't, their own personal achievements rarely alter those aspects of character.

Has there ever been a Brit in any sport with as much pressure on them as Murray had today?

Bradley Wiggins last summer for a start.

Will I agree with your logic, in practise I generally think people are gracious and decent or they aren't, their own personal achievements rarely alter those aspects of character.

My initial flippant comment didn't do Djokovic justice; I accept and agree with your wider point, too. Edited by snowychap

.  He can certainly be spoken of in the same breath as people like Borg, McEnroe, Connors & Agassi.

I'd argue the 4 greatest tennis players of all time are from the current batch

Federer , Nadal , Djokovic and Murray

Harsh on the Sampras'ssss of the world but I don't beleive Sampras would have dominated if he were playing now against those 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH8K0bPc-BE

Andy Murray says Hi  Dr_ Pangloss and is laughing all the way to the bank  :)

Bradley Wiggins last summer for a start.

he's Belgian :)

Â