Relegation thread

Knutserov13

12 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Finally mercenaries  define what makes the players we brought Mercenaries ?

Engels, Nakamba, Wesley, Drinkwater, El Ghazi. I can't really argue with Trez considering he is carrying us at the moment, but i'd still take Benrahma any day of the week.

I've lined up a team at the bottom in the previous page in an alternative universe. That starting eleven is so, so much stronger than the current. Benrahma and Maupay just makes all the difference. Bruce always says you're only as good as your strikers and it's hard to disagree with that.

Edited by villalad21

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Was one of our best players towards the back end of the season we got promoted. 
Good professional and will have fond memories. 

Plus missed the pen that got Bruce fired thus delivering Smith and promotion!

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, TRO said:

if we get over the line on Sunday, it provides a great opportunity for the club to grasp the opportunity.....to achieve real stability.

Which opportunity for "real" stability are you alluding to here?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Another straw man argument TRO, with a few of your standard truisms thrown in for good measure (progress is a form of success etc etc)

It's nonsense to say the people are "setting the bar at what we've achieved", nobody is "wallowing in self achievement" , nobody is "self satified"

We came up from 5th in the championship and had a 31 player turn-around. Its a fact that the majority of teams that come up via the playoffs go straight back down again, so myself and many other said at the start of the season that for this year we would be happy to finish 17th and survive.

Next season, if we retained the same squad I would hope for slightly better, if we recruit well then I hope we can be comfortably mid-table

I'm not plesed that we are limping, hopefully, to 17th position but I am realistic in my expectations for a fledgling squad, new to the toughest league in the world

As we've argued a number of times, my expectation was survival this year, yours was obviuoosly that we would do better than that - am I satified? Not really, 17th is not my ambition for the club but I am realistic enough to understand that "Rome was not buit in a day"!!

If we survive and finish 17th this would have been realistically  the minimum expectation . Given how the season has now  panned out and looking at the league and teams above us now safe , we could have done a lot better. Lets get Sunday out of the way first !!

9 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

That's a load of crap. Came in, did largely a decent job as a experienced defensive midfielder who didn't cost a lot.

Not flash but consistent. That's why he has had a long career in which he played over 30 games for different clubs for 15 consecutive seasons. And over 80 caps for his country.

agreed. and it's where villalad and me agree...i dont think he'd have been worse than marvelous, and could have used the money elsewhere rather than buying another CM that we didn't need. i dont care where whelan ended up, he would have been an ok squad player

but then he starts talking about adomah and hogan and it all goes very wrong...

5 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

If we survive and finish 17th this would have been realistically  the minimum expectation . Given how the season has now  panned out and looking at the league and teams above us now safe , we could have done a lot better. Lets get Sunday out of the way first !!

Based on what?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Who's minimum expectation? Yours? Also I guess it hangs on what you mean by minimum expection - At very best I thought 12th place was possible, at very worst I thought relegation was possible, when pressed my prediction was that we would struggle and finish 17th

Could we have done "lots better"? With the challenge we faced and with a 31 plyer turnaround, Not in my reckoning

2 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

One win and suddenly everyones sucking off ds - even if we stay up he has to go

I get similar vibes to last season when we suddenly started playing when it's 10 games left.

67 goals conceded in 38 games is awful. Last season we conceded 61.

We need play like this and have the same mindset for the whole season and treat every game like it's a cup final. Battling for every ball, working our socks off.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, LondonVillian said:

One win and suddenly everyones sucking off ds - even if we stay up he has to go

And interestingly (not including you in this) a few people who have been critical and said it's such fine margins that if we stay up they'll be happy still seem to be baying for blood before it is settled.