Relegation thread

Knutserov13

4 hours ago, Villarocker said:

It's now in our hands. Win both games and we stay up. Let's see how much Premier League status means to those players in Claret and Blue tonight and on Sunday. 

No no no no, we want the team in claret & blue to get hammered on Sunday 🤓

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

no because Bournemouth can overtake us

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Need a 3 goal swing, unless we lose

Nope

We are -26, they are -27

we lose by 1 they win by 1 and they are above us

But I think you must have been thinking of Watford but quoted the wrong person?

36 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Way i see it

Win: 100 percent stay up

Draw : 80 percent up

Lose: 25 percent stay up

West Ham are pretty much safe. They can finish up above Brighton thats it. We just need to be professional and keep our heads clear 

Not 100% staying up if we win, if Watford can win and gain +2 on us they overtake us. We are only 1 goal ahead, eg we win 1-0 but they win 3-0 they go above us.

Unlikely I know but it means a win is not 100% staying up, more like 93.67%

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

The best thing about our current scenario is that whatever happens it will be a consequence of the final match.  All the crap results and missed opportunities are irrelevant now.

Which I would have taken if you offered it to me at any point between last August and now! 

• Like 2

So last day and we lose by one goal AND:

Bournemouth need to win by +1 more goals against Everton.

Watford need to get a draw Vs Arsenal.

I am definitely not saying that is impossible. But it's so nearly been 3 straight wins. I think we can take a point at West Ham. 

If Watford manage to spank Arsenal it'll go down as one of the most amazing final day results in quite some time. Knowing they need a 3-goal swing, they will have to go on the attack. They can't afford to do what we did - nick a goal and defend the lead - they need to keep attacking and that is going to make them extremely vulnerable to Arsenal hitting them on the break. I think a draw is the best they could hope for, although  that could be enough for them. 

Bournemouth are a different proposition as they have quite a bit of fight left in them and Everton will be in for quite a contest. However, Everton look to have found some form, and again, Bournemouth need to play for the win and Everton have the ability to hurt teams on the break .

So both teams below us have no choice but to come out and attack from the outset because there is no realistic scenario where they fail to win and go up (apart from a Watford draw if we lose).

I suspect because of the mandate to take risks and attack at all costs, both teams will lose.

I have a feeling West Ham will set up quite defensively on Sunday and invite us to try and break them down, knowing they barely even need a point. They'd quite happily play out a 0-0 draw. This means a far more controlled affair. I think we'll be playing to win, but without having to take the same risks as the other teams. I suspect the game will be largely played in their half, with us having to find ways of breaking them down - and I think much of that will involve Grealish running at their defenders and inviting them to foul him. We have been dangerous from set pieces, and we could end up nicking a 1-0 lead and try to sit on that while other results play out.  

Edited by Ponky
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ponky said:

If Watford manage to spank Arsenal it'll go down as one of the most amazing final day results in quite some time

Just watched an Arsenal fan video on the post match thread - they definitely hate Deeney. And at home, and having lost to us like they did? The sheer shame will do for Watford. Bournemouth - agreed - they have fight. I can see a Bournemouth win. So we have to take a point at West Ham at least.