Generic Virus Thread

villakram

7 hours ago, JB said:

I’m not sure if I’m being a bit thick but I honestly don’t get it - I keep hearing words to the effect of ‘School’s are safe but we have to close them to control the spread of the virus’. That sentence contradicts itself, right?

It not just the Westminster words removed that are saying it, either - the Minister for Education in Wales sent a letter to our school regarding closures that said pretty much the same thing.  It certainly doesn’t discourage people from abusing the key worker provision at schools. 

It’s a disgrace, everybody with any sense was saying they should not have reopened.

Its easy to see why the virus is so out of control.

The schools open on Monday when they should not have, everybody knows this. Parent tests positive Tuesday, rest of the family test positive Wednesday. Nobody is contacted at all until Saturday when a generic letter goes out to say someone in the school has tested positive and you don’t need to do anything. Only the children who were sat next to the positive case in class have been asked to isolate. So for the best part of a week everybody is going about their business, looking after vulnerable people, shopping, working etc without knowing their child could also be carrying the virus (these positive cases were asymptomatic).

There was a 3-4  outbreaks at our kids school last year . Two in my sons class and another in my daughters. That class had to isolate for two weeks which is all well and good, but their siblings were still to go into school which makes no sense at all. Brothers and sisters should have had to isolate, too.

I remember a load of the lads football matches being cancelled because of Covid cases in some of the other players schools.

Now it seems that unless you spent most of the day physically touching another pupil then you don’t need to isolate.

Matt Hancock making some very badly-briefed comments on the #DerbyshireTwo I see:

Ridge's follow-up is useless as well. The pair of them contriving to leave viewers less informed about either the virus or British legislation than they were when they tuned in.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure we should build any exceptions in to the law at all for people based on the whims of their imaginary friends, regardless of how local it is. God is everywhere and sees everything apparently. Pray at home.

As their holy book instructs? (Matthew 6:6)

• Like 1

Idiot mum gets school shut down for nearly 100 children of key workers.

Her family had been tested because they'd been in close contact with a carrier

She figured it wouldn't be a problem because the results hadn't come back positive.

The reason for that being they'd not received the results at all.

Guess what the results were when they did come back?

School shut after outbreak.

8 minutes ago, Xann said:

Idiot mum gets school shut down for nearly 100 children of key workers.

Her family had been tested because they'd been in close contact with a carrier

She figured it wouldn't be a problem because the results hadn't come back positive.

The reason for that being they'd not received the results at all.

Guess what the results were when they did come back?

School shut after outbreak.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you’re allowed to carry on as normal even whilst waiting for results. It’s not until you get a positive where you then lockdown and isolate. That in itself is not great, especially if you know you’ve been in contact with someone who’s recently tested positive. Schools are stating they are teaching more kids than they were in the first lockdown for key workers, so looks like some parents are wrongly sending their kids to school. You’d think you would have to show some kind of proof that you were a key worker in order for your kids to still go into school. 

In other news I’ve just got back from Morrison’s with bits and pieces for dinner. There was a bloke in there hunting through the carrots picking and choosing which ones he liked the look of. I know touching things in supermarkets is unavoidable, but thought that was a bit stupid. I feel bad if I pick something up then put it back on the shelf, but these things happen. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you’re allowed to carry on as normal even whilst waiting for results. It’s not until you get a positive where you then lockdown and isolate. That in itself is not great, especially if you know you’ve been in contact with someone who’s recently tested positive. Schools are stating they are teaching more kids than they were in the first lockdown for key workers, so looks like some parents are wrongly sending their kids to school. You’d think you would have to show some kind of proof that you were a key worker in order for your kids to still go into school. 

In other news I’ve just got back from Morrison’s with bits and pieces for dinner. There was a bloke in there hunting through the carrots picking and choosing which ones he liked the look of. I know touching things in supermarkets is unavoidable, but thought that was a bit stupid. I feel bad if I pick something up then put it back on the shelf, but these things happen. 

We’ve had another email from the school just confirming that only pupils which are defined by them as being “in contact” with a pupil who tests positive need to isolate. This isn’t the year group or even the class, just 1 or 2 pupils in this case. This is a major relaxation of the rules that were previously applied.

Edited by Genie

27 minutes ago, bickster said:

Has this been the norm since the beginning ?  I thought it was if you had been around anyone with COVID , then you didn’t have to self isolate providing you weren’t showing symptoms, and could carry on until you got results from your test . 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

We’ve had another email from the school just confirming that only pupils which are defined by them as being “in contact” with a pupil who tests positive need to isolate. This isn’t the year group or even the class, just 1 or 2 pupils in this case. This is a major relaxation of the rules that were previously applied.

I just don't get this. The virus is spreading at the highest rate it ever has and we have more people in hospital with covid than ever and the rules are more relaxed. It just doesn't make sense does it.  This is definitely a centralised government decision and not something a specific school has pulled out of its arse?

Edited by markavfc40

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Get stricter on schools 

close parks 

close places of worship 

bring in a curfew(legitimate reason to be out) 

cancel  contact sport 

I’d do that just for starters 

100% this. It seems like the government aren't wanting to be upfront with the public about how serious the current situation is. The number of people out and about us up massively on the first lockdown in the spring, and the list of reasons that you can be out and number of businesses allowed to stay open is a joke.

Personally I'd have implemented an ultra strict lockdown for the whole of January with people only allowed out to buy the bare essentials, then reviewed the situation at the end of the month

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

100% this. It seems like the government aren't wanting to be upfront with the public about how serious the current situation is. The number of people out and about us up massively on the first lockdown in the spring, and the list of reasons that you can be out and number of businesses allowed to stay open is a joke.

Personally I'd have implemented an ultra strict lockdown for the whole of January with people only allowed out to buy the bare essentials, then reviewed the situation at the end of the month

Not sure about work places tbf . it’s obvious why the government are keeping places of business open, and it’s so they don’t have to bail them out, but if you can keep the economy going in a safe way then why not. Not sure about factories, but building sites are pretty bullet proof, and are doing a good job regarding the current situation. The government can certainly get stricter without closing down work places. Seen plenty of people in town yesterday jabbering in groups of more than two, not wearing masks and not at the recommended distance apart. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not sure about work places tbf . it’s obvious why the government are keeping places of business open, and it’s so they don’t have to bail them out, but if you can keep the economy going in a safe way then why not. Not sure about factories, but building sites are pretty bullet proof, and are doing a good job regarding the current situation. The government can certainly get stricter without closing down work places. Seen plenty of people in town yesterday jabbering in groups of more than two, not wearing masks and not at the recommended distance apart. 

All fair points, although it seems to me that our approach throughout has been the worst of both worlds - not severe enough to stop the spread of the virus, which has allowed the economy to carry on at reduced capacity but taking more of an impact over a longer period of time, rather than accepting that there's going to be at least some short-term economic fall out, but ultimately the sooner the virus is under control the sooner normal economic activity can resume. 

Like you say a lot of people are largely carrying on as normal, so I can't see any end in sight with the way things are just now.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Has this been the norm since the beginning ?  I thought it was if you had been around anyone with COVID , then you didn’t have to self isolate providing you weren’t showing symptoms, and could carry on until you got results from your test . 

How would this be sensible?

Â