Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Rather the opposite, I'd have thought. If it's categorically not going to happen then surely it's likely to be government policy within a week?*

*Edit: As suggested by a number of tweets in reply to the above.

Just when I've booked off work a Monday every fortnight in case I decide to venture up to provide some much-needed morale to the folks.  If they don't scrap bubbles completely, I wouldn't be surprised to see them enforce strict "local area" rules (meaning my plans will be buggered anyway). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Seriously though, she did. It was apparently very well organised and they're getting through loads. That was just a hospital internal session. But I know people who are administering vaccines to the public in the hospitals too and they're doing 500-900 a day. I think they'll be hitting 2m a week quite easily and then probably quite a bit more.

I know a fair few people who have been vaccinated now. 

Still waiting for my parents though but they are late 70s so I guess that will probably be next week. 

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Maybe... just maybe the Gov shouldn’t have just ignored one of their own driving up and down the country testing his eye sight if they wanted people to follow the rules. 

Sadly people have had enough I think which is wrong but at the same time understandable.

I know that and I know some rules are confusing, but people have to look after themselves sometimes. The overriding message is don't go out unless you have to and if anyone is missing that they are deliberately trying to miss it. 

So someone in Government went for a drive so I am too? When I was a small child and tried to excuse being naughty because my brother had done it my mother would say "Would you put your hand in the fire because he did?" 

Some toff flouting the law and Government sending mixed messages is not great but it doesn't mean you can do what the hell you like.  I'm sick of people being absolved from their own responsibilities. 

Edited by sidcow

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I know that and I know some rules are confusing, but people have to look after themselves sometimes. The overriding message is don't go out unless you have to and if anyone is missing that they are deliberately trying to miss it. 

So someone in Government went for a drive so I am too? When I was a small child and tried to excuse being naughty because my brother had done it my mother would say "Would you put your hand in the fire because he did?" 

Some toff flouting the law and Government sending mixed messages is not great but it doesn't mean you can do what the hell you like.  I'm sick of people being absolved from their own responsibilities. 

I’m sick of the failings of a floundering, directionless and utterly reactive government being put squarely on the shoulders of the public.

It’s a persistent campaign to turn everyone on each other rather than collaboration on the true issue at hand - how and why can we have such a ridiculously out of their depth government.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

The ability to isolate yourself at home is another wealth divider. I'm lucky that my job allowed me to carry on working from home and not be furloughed on 80%, then carry on working from home after that.

I've got all of the stuff I need at home, the kids both have laptops, our internet is fine, we have Tesco deliveries every week.

I'm not forced to go out to work because my low paid, zero hours job has been classed as 'key' by my employer. My car is modern and reliable and it won't break down.

Some people don't have these choices and as usual it ultimately comes down to what decade you were born in.

Oh for sure. Being poor is expensive. Reminds of one of the most striking analogies I heard.

That a rich person can buy 100 dollar boots that last 10 years, but the poor person can only afford a 10 dollar pair that last 6 months. In 10 years, the rich person has spent 100 dollars, and the poor person, 200 dollars, and he still doesn't have boots.

• Like 4

Just now, Genie said:

I also thought he was saying that for some reason she had to pay.

Like most things, it made perfect sense inside my head and absolutely none outside of it

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Oh for sure. Being poor is expensive. Reminds of one of the most striking analogies I heard.

That a rich person can buy 100 dollar boots that last 10 years, but the poor person can only afford a 10 dollar pair that last 6 months. In 10 years, the rich person has spent 100 dollars, and the poor person, 200 dollars, and he still doesn't have boots.

The 'poverty premium' is over £1000 a year in Britain. The example of having to buy cheaper goods that need replacing more often is a good one, there's also the other costs associated with not being able to access credit, paying your gas and electric on a pre-pay card is by the most expensive way of doing so, someone who can afford to pay a monthly bill pays much less.

• Like 1

Just now, darrenm said:

Like most things, it made perfect sense inside my head and absolutely none outside of it

Ignore these losers. It was a clear and simple joke. It worked they are harshing your buzz. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Ignore these losers. It was a clear and simple joke. It worked they are harshing your buzz. 

The joke was hilarious, it got a laughing like from me.

It was the additional “seriously she did” which confused me as I thought it was relating to the payment and not the jab. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised to see more zero hours contracts and and part time roles pushed into other industries after this. Rather than furlough, two senior members of a less busy team in the company I work for have been made part time, and they're effectively now job sharing. One works Mon, Tues, half day Weds, and the other works the remainder of the week. It's daft really as we work in IT and it's often difficult picking work up off other people without starting again.

2 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

The 'poverty premium' is over £1000 a year in Britain. The example of having to buy cheaper goods that need replacing more often is a good one, there's also the other costs associated with not being able to access credit, paying your gas and electric on a pre-pay card is by the most expensive way of doing so, someone who can afford to pay a monthly bill pays much less.

But if being poor wasn't so expensive, what motivation would these poor people have to work harder?

image.png.4dc6ece437cce8f8cc71d8999db9b6ab.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some reckon the self employed have never had it so good during this pandemic. There seems to be work, and plenty of it, and the government are throwing thousands of pounds at you. Got a funny feeling we’ll pay it back and then some.....

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

That a rich person can buy 100 dollar boots that last 10 years, but the poor person can only afford a 10 dollar pair that last 6 months. In 10 years, the rich person has spent 100 dollars, and the poor person, 200 dollars, and still had wet feet.

56 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Some reckon the self employed have never had it so good during this pandemic. There seems to be work, and plenty of it, and the government are throwing thousands of pounds at you. Got a funny feeling we’ll pay it back and then some.....

This idea doesn't really ring true in my industry

Â