Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

The news we’ve been dreading all year came today with my wife testing positive. They’ve now had 6 staff and 5 residents test positive in the last 5 days. She went for a walk-in test last night after feeling ill all day at work. Got the result today. The rest of the care home are having their tests today. If they lose any more staff, I can’t see how they can stay open. Luckily she’s fit and healthy, so it shouldn’t get any worse than the cold-like symptoms she has now. It’s still a worry though. 

I went for a test this morning and I’ll take the kids on Friday. It’s nigh on impossible trying to isolate from each other so I’m expecting to get it, if I haven’t already. 

I suspect that the vaccine will be too late by the time it arrives for this care home. 

If it helps, there are plenty of stories of people self isolating with their partners, having to even share a bed and the other person never gets the virus

There are people, as with all viruses that are naturally immune to it too. They just don't know what percentage that is

• Like 2

Just now, bickster said:

If it helps, there are plenty of stories of people self isolating with their partners, having to even share a bed and the other person never gets the virus

There are people, as with all viruses that are naturally immune to it too. They just don't know what percentage that is

That’s true. I’m pretty sure I don’t have it now and we’ve spent every night together. I’m not too worried about myself getting it, more so for her and the stress of her job. The kids are both quite happy with staying in their bedrooms, so there’s no change there. 

26 minutes ago, bickster said:

Happened to our neighbours (both hospital doctors). She got flu symptoms, tested positive. Neither her husband nor their two kids ever got any symptoms. She's fine now. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

That’s true. I’m pretty sure I don’t have it now and we’ve spent every night together. I’m not too worried about myself getting it, more so for her and the stress of her job. The kids are both quite happy with staying in their bedrooms, so there’s no change there. 

I think it's a 100% mortality rate for bald blokes though.. 

awkward justin timberlake GIF

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

There's certainly no seats cordoned off on any trains ive been on. 

I haven't been on one during rush hour but they are virtually empty whenever I've been on one.

I needn't have worried, I pretty much had a carriage to myself.

Sorry to hear that. Dementia is so unfair. Personally I found my grandad's death from dementia a release, maybe even a blessing. It was the experience of the decline itself that really hurt me. I found that after the death, a lot of the memories of the end of his life started to fade, and I remembered more clearly the man he had been before. I hope your son-in-law experiences the same thing.

(Also... it would be great to have a reaction for showing agreement with someone, but when what they're talking about isn't something you "Like". Maybe just a "+1" or something.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

(Also... it would be great to have a reaction for showing agreement with someone, but when what they're talking about isn't something you "Like". Maybe just a "+1" or something.)

I agree with this... Some sort of 'solidarity' emoji... 

BBC running a lengthy segment about the 2 allergic reactions yesterday and how we can ensure it's safe etc. 

I know there is a duty to investigate but I sometimes feel these very minor in the scheme of things reactions need to be downplayed somewhat as it's just going to feed into the paranoia of some doubters and fuel the anti vaxxers. 

As one bloke interviewed said, the biggest selling drug in the world by far is aspirin and that has so many problematic side effects it would actually be difficult to licence today. 

2 people who had known strong allergies reacting to is is not a big issue.  Thousands have had it so far and been perfectly well. 

• Like 3

Â