Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, sidcow said:

A quick Google suggests that the first 4m are being manufactured abroad but then most of the 100m will be made here.  There has been some hold up in making it in the UK. 

There’s the new national vaccine place in Liverpool I think but that is not opening until next summer (1 year early apparently). 
Maybe that will pick up the production once it’s ready... what could possibly go wrong?

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

There’s the new national vaccine place in Liverpool I think but that is not opening until next summer (1 year early apparently). 
Maybe that will pick up the production once it’s ready... what could possibly go wrong?

Yes, I've seen stuff about that, it's been rushed through, but I think that's more of a research and manufacture type place, a national infrastructure type of thing.  I think the vaccine itself is being manufactured in pharmaceutical companies private factories. 

Just now, sidcow said:

Yes, I've seen stuff about that, it's been rushed through, but I think that's more of a research and manufacture type place, a national infrastructure type of thing.  I think the vaccine itself is being manufactured in pharmaceutical companies private factories. 

I’m more comfortable with that tbh. 
I only just noticed that apparently AstraZeneca will be supplying it at cost price, no profit. A nice touch if accurate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m more comfortable with that tbh. 
I only just noticed that apparently AstraZeneca will be supplying it at cost price, no profit. A nice touch if accurate.

Yes, it's about £2.50 a shot instead of about £15 for the other big 2 currently being touted, and can be kept in a normal fridge. 

It's the one which will be most useful helping 3rd world countries who a) can't afford £15 a shot and b) won't have the fancy freezers to store the expensive vaccines. 

Bill Gates will no doubt be funding a lot of it though so those mud hut dwelling peasants will have to put up with some pretty intense surveillance from him. 

• Like 1

Not a great start

The UK’s drug regulator has warned that people with have a history of “significant” allergic reactions should not receive the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) issued the warning after two NHS staff members who were administered with doses on Tuesday both suffered an allergic reaction.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-vaccine-allergic-reactions-uk-b1768530.html%3famp

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Has anyone been on a train recently?  Are all the seats available or do they cordon some off for social distancing?

Depends on the train I think. Inter City different to Commuter. I think they do on the Inter City ones but not on the others. Could be wrong though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’m allergic to bloody everything!!

I wouldn't worry about it, you were never getting the Pfizer vaccine anyway, the next batch wasn't due to be received until April anyway

Oxford / AZ will be available well before then and its cheaper / easier to manage and we've got lots more of that ordered

2 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Has anyone been on a train recently?  Are all the seats available or do they cordon some off for social distancing?

There's certainly no seats cordoned off on any trains ive been on. 

I haven't been on one during rush hour but they are virtually empty whenever I've been on one.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bickster said:

I wouldn't worry about it, you were never getting the Pfizer vaccine anyway, the next batch wasn't due to be received until April anyway

Oxford / AZ will be available well before then and its cheaper / easier to manage and we've got lots more of that ordered

I’m not too fussed, was never going to be asking for it any time soon anyway, just somewhat ironic after my concerns over how rushed this has all been that I’ll be ineligible for a while anyway.

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

That's just the allergic, pregnant women, women thinking of becoming pregnant and children then.

Resuscitation equipment required at all vaccine sites. Very re-assuring... they should use bigger needles :D

It sounds like the reactions were not TOO serious, and both have such serious allergies that they both carry epipens.  Both seem OK already. 

It's (rightly) probably a knee jerk, I'm sure they will work it out soon. Unless you have routinely serious allergies I would think they will clear it again soon. 

Â