Generic Virus Thread

villakram

All this allowing it to spread is reminiscent of the old chickenpox parties where mums would get together to deliberately infect their children to get it out of the way. 

It's discouraged now because every so often children can still get seriously ill with it. 

Imagine forgoing the vaccine because you thought you were fit and healthy only to find yourself in intensive care. 

tenor.gif

25 minutes ago, sidcow said:

All this allowing it to spread is reminiscent of the old chickenpox parties where mums would get together to deliberately infect their children to get it out of the way

I mentioned that very thing in the Memory Lane thread. I had chickenpox over Christmas when I was about ten or eleven. Enter half the neighbourhood's kids, playing with my Scalextric racing cars.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sidcow said:

All this allowing it to spread is reminiscent of the old chickenpox parties where mums would get together to deliberately infect their children to get it out of the way. 

It's discouraged now because every so often children can still get seriously ill with it. 

Imagine forgoing the vaccine because you thought you were fit and healthy only to find yourself in intensive care. 

Some countries recommend / mandate vaccinating against chickenpox. It's primarily still a financial driver though. The cost of a parent taking a couple of weeks off work compared to a £50 vaccine is a bit of a no-brainer. Also kids missing two weeks of school unnecessarily isn't good. As you say, there can be some nasty effects in some people who get chickenpox (and other complications in later life).

11 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Chicken pox affects adults much worse than children (a bit like Coronavirus!) so there was some logic to parents wanting their children to get it as a child. 

As someone who got Chickenpox in his 30s I can only agree, worst illness I've ever had

Displeased to be toppled from the top of the Covid charts, they've gone ahead with the Christmas market in Nottingham. Genuine photos from this year, while we're in tier 3. Absolute lunacy.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/whats-on/whats-on-news/nottingham-city-centre-packed-shoppers-4769842

Nottingham's Christmas Market on December 5

Nottingham's Christmas Market on December 5

If this is the kind of thing happening across the country, get ready for the national national lockdown in early January.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Shocked 2

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If this is the kind of thing happening across the country, get ready for the national national lockdown in early January.

Yup, wouldn't surprise me to see a 3 month lockdown announced after Xmas. They extended furlough to the end of March didn't they?

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's not, Liverpool cancelled ours in October as did Manchester

That is mental when you look at it. 

I bet the Mayor will be on telly moaning about their settlement when they are put back into total lockdown. What are they thinking? And what are the people thinking who are in there in numbers.  Of all the communities you would believe they would think twice. 

Why are people so utterly obsessed with having a normal Christmas? We're so close to the end now people just need to reign it in for a little longer. 

If I was in charge of councils I would be going heavy on organising an Easter Festival or Spring Festival.  People will be willing to spend and get out.  Use the same cabins etc, just replace some of the signs.  I'm sure there are plenty of small traders who would want to sell there wares and people would flock there. 

Even better you can replace the Bratwurst for proper British sausages and some real ale in place of the crappy German lagers.  I'm getting excited just thinking about it.  Would be a bit warmer as well. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

That Nottingham Christmas market has now been shut down.

Nottingham Christmas Market Shut Down

From the link above

Nottingham's Christmas Market has been shut down, just 24 hours after opening, after thousands of people flocked to the area.

Who’d have thought it? 

Currently only shutdown for 24 hours, I can’t see it reopening tbh.

It genuinely still amazes me that people just don’t get it. The whole virus transmission thing, they just don’t get it at all.

They’ll watch the news and go “it’s getting really bad, 20,000 new cases and another 600 people dead” but then turn up to a **** Christmas market or queue up for hours go into Primark.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Be interesting to see if this is like that picture of Bournemouth beach. Without question it will be busy but unsure if that picture is the true picture.  

I love it in the summer when we are in the middle of a heatwave and they show scantily clad young ladies ‘frolicking’ in the surf, who could forget ‘luscious Lucy Pinder girl of the thrillenium’ frolicking on Bournemouth beach with a busty blonde pal

23 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Be interesting to see if this is like that picture of Bournemouth beach. Without question it will be busy but unsure if that picture is the true picture.  

Hmmm, the old long lens foreshortening click bait........

Over recent months, social media users have questioned the way newspaper photographs have been shot and whether they appear to show people closer together than they actually are.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/sep/13/picture-imperfect-why-photos-of-crowded-beaches-may-not-be-what-they-seem?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Like 4

Â