Generic Virus Thread

villakram

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

And when did he break these rules? Or is it just guilty without any evidence?

You've seen the photo of him with the near naked female who doesn't live with him?

That IS breaking the rules

23 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

And when did he break these rules? Or is it just guilty without any evidence?

I didn't say if he did or didn't break the rules. 

It's the attitude of people not really caring and thinking it's OK regardless. 

1 hour ago, bickster said:

You've seen the photo of him with the near naked female who doesn't live with him?

That IS breaking the rules

Not necessarily.

Firstly, we don’t know when that was (which you’ve accepted after).

Secondly, we don’t know their situation. If they both live alone, they are allowed to be each other’s support bubble and meet up indoors. Now I don’t know Jack’s personal life, but without knowing the facts I find it hard to judge.

According to an Oxford University poll a quarter of people are reluctant to get the jab. 

It just shows that despite the hugely serious nature of this disease which has brought the world to it's knees, the propaganda of a few nut jobs has filtered through to the general population. 

People thing vaccines are dangerous.. With all that's gone on, why on earth would 25% of people still not want a jab!? Totally shocking. 

Science has worked so hard to rid mankind of so many terrible diseases and gets junked by a couple of hundred idiots. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, sidcow said:

According to an Oxford University poll a quarter of people are reluctant to get the jab. 

It just shows that despite the hugely serious nature of this disease which has brought the world to it's knees, the probaganda of a few nut jobs has filtered through to the general population. 

People thing vaccines are dangerous.. With all that's gone on, why on earth would 25% of people still not want a jab!? Totally shocking. 

Science has worked so hard to rid mankind of so many terrible diseases and gets junked by a couple of hundred idiots. 

I think there was a genuine reason to be slightly nervous about this one because we've heard about how it's been pushed through far quicker than normal. So I think it's ok to have a bit of nervousness about it.

The point is though that that can be quickly explained and the safety of it reassured which should calm anybody's fears. Unfortunately in the age of facebook people will go from justifiably nervous to full on nnut job in a second rather than listen to the experts who are telling them it's fine

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It just shows that despite the hugely serious nature of this disease which has brought the world to it's knees, the probaganda of a few nut jobs has filtered through to the general population. 

There's a couple of serious issues. The first is the way social media has given a prominent platform to every head case. 20 years ago these people would have to hand out flyers in centenary square and reach a few hundred people, most of who wouldn't read it and would either end up on the floor or bin.

The second is how clear it is how vulnerable people are to this kind of propaganda. I remember learning about the rise of the Nazi's (an extreme case, I know) and thinking "how can so many people have fallen for this crap?". If the last few years of Brexit and Trump has taught us anything it's that it could happen again, and it's arguably easier to convince people than ever before. I'm not saying people are stupid but it's clear a lot of people haven't been taught to think critically.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, sidcow said:

why on earth would 25% of people still not want a jab!?

From my own research it’s the same group as Brexit is good, hard Brexit even better, coronavirus is a plandemic and also linked to 5G phone networks.

They also don’t care about anyone else and as they see themselves as young and healthy they will take their chances and don’t care if they move it onto someone more vulnerable.

Edited by Genie

If you want an interesting/somewhat depressing listen about vaccine-skeptical people, the New York Times podcast 'The Daily' did an episode with street interviews in London this week, which you can listen to for free here: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/09/podcasts/the-daily/UK-pfizer-vaccine.html

A couple of really striking things - the coverage is much more like 'THIS IS A BIG HISTORIC MOMENT' than it felt living through it, and the fairly high proportion of people saying they won't get vaccinated.

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

It just shows that despite the hugely serious nature of this disease which has brought the world to it's knees, the propaganda of a few nut jobs has filtered through to the general population. 

I have a nurse visit me every day at the moment (it’s really not as fun as it was in my imagination). She floored me yesterday when she said “I won’t be taking the vaccine. How do we know what’s in it?”.

A medical professional saying they won’t take it. We are doomed. 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

There’s a problem in society, obviously it’s ok to be skeptical but at some point a significant proportion of the population began to look at experts as untrustworthy. And the musings of someone completely unqualified on social media as gospel.

Its flipped back to front.

• Like 2

There are reasons for people who are considered low risk to be wary of it.

There have been vaccines or treatments previously which are now not given to certain people (I.e. pregnant). 

Whilst I'm confident in the science and I'm confident Bill Gates isn't gonna hack my brain :lol: I'd still be very reluctant to give it my kids though. 

I'm 99.9% sure it's a good thing, and I'll get it when I can, but I'd still like to wait and see the affects (if any) on a wider demographic. 

I could just read more, and already have read some of the papers on AstraZeneca for instance.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

You will if nutters catch it and end up killing your Gran

Well obviously I was being a bit facetious, though by the time most of the gullible Facebook crowd are due theirs the elderly and people with underlying conditions should have had theirs.  When it comes to the general population anyone who doesn't sign up straight away is a bit daft and selfishly if it means I get the vaccine earlier then it's a bonus.

• Like 2

Â