Generic Virus Thread

villakram

41 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Which is why it won’t be fixed by offering a million pound prize.

I agree, there’s no guarantee, but you might get good people already earning £300k/£400k/£500k who want to go for the big job that would otherwise not bother for £150k. 
People with good leadership skills and experience running major organisations.

Edited by Genie

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree, there’s no guarantee, but you might get good people already earning £300k/£400k/£500k who want to go for the big job that would otherwise not bother for £150k. 

How many years on average have PMs served as MPs before they get the big job

PS: It's not a job and shouldn't be viewed as such

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Genie said:

People with good leadership skills and experience running major organisations.

The likes of Javid took a 90%+ paycut to be an MP and rise to Chancellor. 

A previous seven-figure remuneration didn't stop him from being this fumbling numpty.

_110647009_mediaitem110647008.jpg

20 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

The likes of Javid took a 90%+ paycut to be an MP and rise to Chancellor. 

A previous seven-figure remuneration didn't stop him from being this fumbling numpty.

Thats because previously he was a corrupt w.... banker

9 hours ago, jim said:

10pm closing time and mandatory table service in pubs from Thursday.

Pointless. 

Brilliant - another announcement to the country via the press.

As you say, pretty pointless stuff - though it will mean that I shan't be going to a pub until the insistence on table service is lifted.

According to the Grauniad, this too:

Police in England have been given powers to issue fines and make arrests to enforce social distancing in pubs and restaurants.

New regulations issued by the government say fines of £1,000 can be issued if tables are not 2 metres apart, or 1 metre if other measures such as protective screens are in place.

I mean it's a sodding nonsense. They're not going to walk around with a tape measure so they're probably just going to have a guess.

It also says:

A memo explaining the new regulations issued by the government says: “Under the regulations, enforcement may be undertaken by designated local authority officers, police officers or persons designated by the secretary of state.”

It continues: “Fixed-penalty notices may be issued by the authorised officer, in the sum of £1,000 on the first occasion (a reduced penalty of £500 being due if paid within 14 days of the notice date), £2,000 on a second occasion, rising to £4,000 for a third and any subsequent occasion.

“Section 24 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 is expressly applied so that arrest by a police officer may be made without warrant on grounds of maintenance of public health and public order.”

So it seems that it will be an arrestable offence not to comply with whatever the precise wording of the distancing law will be (and whether that applies elsewhere other than pubs, restaudants, cafes and other such places).

All to be brought in as 'emergency' regulations and there will be merely a statement from the Prime Minister where he'll gabble on like the useless shit he is and probably say very little of truth, detail or substance.

Edited by snowychap

13 hours ago, Genie said:

Comes back after 10 hours to say you’re going to leave it here but reiterate we’re both wrong :lol: 

Yes, I 'came back after 10 hours' because I had been out all day and not on VT from yesterday morning until shortly before last night's game.

I know it's unusual (especially for me) but on some days posters don't spend every minute glued to VT. :rolleyes:

I said I'd leave it there because the exchange was pointless as further demonstrated by your reply.

13 hours ago, Genie said:

Maybe as I said before, you’re not being clear in the point you think you’re making if it’s not what it’s being interpreted as.

It could be interpreted in that way but there's clearly an obvious alternative staring any reader in the face, something clearly suggested by someone posting a claim that doesn't tally with the content of the posts they're making.

Edited by snowychap

9 hours ago, jim said:

Pointless. 

Another w4nky half arsed rule, if this government had any balls they would close pubs down with immediate effect and make a statement that its because they have grossly over estimated the intelligence of the public at large.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jim said:

Pointless. 

Playing the devil's avocado but I think it's 10pm so people don't get too drunk that they start getting lairy and too close.

However, this is the UK. We have cheeky airport pints at 4.30am, so the closing time will make no difference. People will just go out earlier. 

Half-arsed cack from govt again.

• Like 1

I wish people would concentrate on the garbled and contradictory messages put out by the government over the duration of this health situation which swing from one end of the spectrum to the other depending upon which side of whoever's bed one of them has got out of that morning or the make up of the previous day's focus group or whether they'd just had dinner with a party donor rather than give the government a free pass by blaming the public.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's power that attracts people to the job, not money. Would raising it to £1m ensure more competent applicants? I'm unconvinced. 

Yep.

The best leaders are reluctant leaders. People who want to lead have their vested reasons why they want to.

Look at New Zealand's PM. She didn't want the job but took it anyway.

21 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Half-arsed cack from govt again.

I think that at least part of this is intended to allow the government to argue that, if (or more likely when) this has a poor effect on this particular part of the economy, they hadn't closed these places so that it was not them but the public to blame for the choices they made which may have lowered footfall and income.

Edit: I think the whole policy is intentional, for what it's worth - just that the rest of the intention is to create confusion and to keep people on the hop not knowing what to expect next.

Edited by snowychap
Rewrote first sentence on back of edit
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I think that at least part of this is intentional so that if (or more likely when) this has a poor effect on this particular part of the economy the government can say that they hadn't closed these places so that it was not the government but the public to blame for the choices they made which may have lowered footfall and income.

Edit: I think the whole policy is intentional, for what it's worth - just that the rest of the intention is to create confusion and to keep people on the hop not knowing what to expect next.

Agree with this. The government are keeping it balanced (or vague) enough to be able to attempt to cover themselves regardless of what happens. 

What I find interesting is how divided people are on the policies. There are some saying they are way too relaxed and there’s others saying they are unnecessarily strict. Which one is it? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

It was always their plan, herd immunity through unclear messaging and blaming the public.

clearings in the woods.

I think you give them too much credit. Aside from holding power there is no plan.

1 minute ago, Straggler said:

I think you give them too much credit. Aside from holding power there is no plan.

Me too to be honest. I don’t think they know what they are doing. They can’t plan further than about 2 hours ahead.

Â