Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, desensitized43 said:

Perhaps if they'd agreed to stand behind people who needed to quarantine rather than sticking to the line that statutory sick pay was enough to live on people would have been happy to quarantine.

He was out there drinking in pubs in Bolton spreading the virus. No excuse for that. 

7 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He was out there drinking in pubs in Bolton spreading the virus. No excuse for that. 

Oh absolutely, the guy was a moron. I'm speaking mainly for myself. I've had conversations with the Mrs where we've discussed what we'd do if I got asked to self isolate. Luckily I can work from home so it's fine but for those that can't, what do you do if having to isolate for 2 weeks (at least) takes you under financially?

The only way any of this gets sorted is a proper testing system for those with symptoms and a governmetn willing to pay them enough to live on while they isolate for the good of the nation.

Edited by desensitized43
  • Like 3

Out of interest,  I tried to get a test in The Netherlands,  the closest I can get is approx 60 miles away tomorrow in Gouda that is made entirely of cheese.

Only 16 million people and the country is really small,  they should be doing better than that ?

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

<Your town here> is very important to us. 

<Your town here> is very important to us.  In fact we have carried out (< [Insert TestNumber here]> *0.4) tests in the last (< [Insert testDays here]>  / 2) days.  A real increase as you all know of (< [Insert Percent here]> +25%).

I think you are onto something,  they all sound illiterate at the press conferences.  It's all the extra sums.

Just now, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

<Your town here> is very important to us.  In fact we have carried out (< [Insert TestNumber here]> *0.4) tests in the last (< [Insert testDays here]>  / 2) days.  A real increase as you all know of (< [Insert Percent here]> +25%).

I think you are onto something,  they all sound illiterate at the press conferences.  It's all the extra sums.

Best Regards,

[first name, last name]

• Haha 1

It was interesting the talk of it being a “6 month issue” they have to deal with, just after saying a vaccine could be available at the end of the year for selected groups.

Reading between the lines are they gaining confidence that a vaccine is almost ready to be rolled out?

22 minutes ago, Genie said:

Reading between the lines are they gaining confidence that a vaccine is almost ready to be rolled out?

It sounded a lot like kicking the can down the road/offering some unjustified light at the end of the tunnel to me. 

If I may re-purpose our ITSOTP cynicism, I'll believe it when it's in the needle, in my arm. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It sounded a lot like kicking the can down the road/offering some unjustified light at the end of the tunnel to me. 

If I may re-purpose our ITSOTP cynicism, I'll believe it when it's in the needle, in my arm. 

Theres not going to be one available to the general public this winter. Would you trust anything that has been rushed out anyway. Who knows what the long-term side effects could be. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It was interesting the talk of it being a “6 month issue” they have to deal with, just after saying a vaccine could be available at the end of the year for selected groups.

A vaccine can be ready tomorrow but unless it has completed stage three trials how can you be sure it is actually effective or worse doesn’t result in side effects? The trial process takes at least 12 months of waiting and checking and updating on the results. 

Any vaccine released this year is essentially skipping the final testing phase. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

A vaccine can be ready tomorrow but unless it has completed stage three trials how can you be sure it is actually effective or worse doesn’t result in side effects? The trial process takes at least 12 months of waiting and checking and updating on the results. 

Any vaccine released this year is essentially skipping the final testing phase. 

I agree, I was just interpreting what was said. I thought it was unusual in a briefing which was intended to pass the message that the situation is very serious that they also mention a vaccine could  be close and it’s a 6 month problem.

I assume the “selected groups” who will get it first will be elderly and care workers, those who really need it to be right first time.

Do we know when the development of the vaccine started? Or how many efficiencies have been found by having pretty much unlimited resources?

52 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Theres not going to be one available to the general public this winter. Would you trust anything that has been rushed out anyway. Who knows what the long-term side effects could be. 

Absolutely. It's like the start of I Am Legend all over again.

Let the early adopters be the guinea pigs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

So, how likely do people think a second national lockdown is now?

It depends how you define it.  

An indefinite one like the one 6 months ago. 1%

A nationwide tightening of some restrictions.  99% 

More and more urban areas having tight restrictions with rural areas less restricted.  99%

Boris blaming the public for everything. 100% 

Boris still being around in 3 years. 1%

• Like 1

Â