Generic Virus Thread

villakram

What's abundantly clear from both the article and the interviews, is that they will continue their current strategy of having very little to say about anything except repeating the word 'competence', and very occasionally being wise after the event about government mis-steps. The idea that they should be proactive - state what they actually think *should* happen, including about massive-ticket issues like 'the end of furlough' and 'the ban on evictions' - will remain off the table.

People are welcome to like it if they want; I think it's contemptible.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

state what they actually think *should* happen, including about massive-ticket issues like 'the end of furlough' and 'the ban on evictions' - will remain off the table.

The eviction ban didn't come up, but he spoke about the need to continue furlough, particularly in tourism and hospitality industries. In fact, it's even mentioned in the article that the tweet is linked to.

What he doesn't want to do is turn compliance with lockdown measures in to a partisan issue, which I think is reasonable considering the anti-mask movement. 

Edit: Here you go, he's spoken about the need to extend the eviction ban too, a couple of days ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54194336

Sir Keir Starmer says the evictions ban in England and Wales "must be extended" before the measure runs out on Sunday.

The Labour leader wants the government to offer "a credible plan to keep their promise that no renter will lose their home because of coronavirus".

The temporary ban, initially introduced in March to help those financially hit by the virus lockdown, has been extended twice.

The government says it has taken "unprecedented action" to help renters.

But Labour says they must act now to avoid "a homelessness crisis this winter".

Edited by Davkaus

Quotes from the Labour List article @HanoiVillan posted via a tweet.

“I’ve reiterated the government message because I think that is the right thing to do in the national interest. It doesn’t prevent us challenging the government where they’ve got it wrong.”

That sentence in itself contradicts the tweets headline, which is factually incorrect. He didn't say he would support ""Whatever measures the government takes" on Covid". What he actually said was...

On restrictions and lockdown measures: “Whatever measure the government takes, we will support it.”

specifically on those. What it doesn't say but is implied is that if they don't think they go far enough, they will criticise (as they already have done) but unwritten there is they doubt the government will go too far so will have no need to criticise in the other direction

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Hmmm, I wonder, what possible incentives might this create? Take a test, risk testing positive, and then get fined £10k if I don't self-isolate? Or, don't take a test, forget my sniffles or anosmia or whatever else, and keep going about my life? Should I leave my real details at the pub, or should I leave some fake ones?

See my post above. 

2 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

I'm usually against all forms of police violence but in this case I think a few truncheons might knock some sense into this lot. 

The attitude to people's right to protest shouldn't be dependent upon whether you agree with what they say/believe.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The attitude to people's right to protest shouldn't be dependent upon whether you agree with what they say/believe.

I’d be more concerned that in the middle of a pandemic these selfish rocket polishers are breathing in the face of the poor sods who have to try and keep the peace.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d be more concerned that in the middle of a pandemic these selfish rocket polishers are breathing in the face of the poor sods who have to try and keep the peace.

I think there were many such pictures during the BLM protests (though obviously the vast majority were masked up) and I failed to hear similar condemnations or recommendations other than from those who just don't think any sort of protest should occur at this time, which is a fair enough opinion to hold if consistently applied to any kind of political protest but not one with which I think we should have much truck.

The point being that you missed the meaning of my post.

Edited by snowychap

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The point being that you missed the meaning of my post.

I got the meaning.
The picture shows a bunch of anti-maskers yelling in the face of a police officer. They are protesting about being forced to where a mask by getting in the face of a police officer hence why the other posted commented (not 100% seriously I’m sure) that violence is sometimes warranted. It’s not to do with the generic free right to protest.

Just now, Genie said:

I got the meaning.
The picture shows a bunch of anti-maskers yelling in the face of a police officer. They are protesting about being forced to where a mask by getting in the face of a police officer hence why the other posted commented (not 100% seriously I’m sure) that violence is sometimes warranted. It’s not to do with the generic free right to protest.

Given your response here, I think that definitely underscores my original point.

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

Maybe you should be clearer in your posts if that’s the case. 

I'm not sure what needs to be clearer than saying:

43 minutes ago, snowychap said:

You even claimed to have understood this point and yet, in response to my last post, you didn't address the point about other protests which have taken place in the same health situation instead concentrating upon the things about this one protest with which you have a problem thus underscoring the point I originally made about the attitude to a protest being informed by the attitude to what the protesters believe and are saying.

Edit: You may have been saying the same thing about the BLM protests or ER protests (and so may the other poster and so may the other people who I've heard saying similar things) and if so and I've missed that then I apologise for getting it wrong. The exchange above, on the face of it, doesn't suggest that this is the case but, as I repeat, I am happy to apologise for being wrong on that if I am.

Edited by snowychap

10 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I'm not sure what needs to be clearer than saying:

You even claimed to have understood this point and yet, in response to my last post, you didn't address the point about other protests which have taken place in the same health situation instead concentrating upon the things about this one protest with which you have a problem thus underscoring the point I originally made about the attitude to a protest being informed by the attitude to what the protesters believe and are saying.

I did address it and understood it.

Its not about revoking someone’s right to protest during a pandemic that struck a chord, or saying they should not be allowed to protest because one does not agree with the cause.
It’s protesting about not wanting to wear a mask by yelling in the face of the police officers without any kind of face covering.

I have a colleague who is back in his homeland of Brazil. His wife works in a hospital there. He said that all of the staff at the hospital have been vaccinated with a Chinese vaccine as part of the testing process and everybody remains well. He said they’re finalising a new factory to produce the vaccine as soon as it is finally approved, potentially next month.

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

The attitude to people's right to peaceful protest shouldn't be dependent upon whether you agree with what they say/believe.

Fixed.

They have the right to protest in a peaceful way. A large proportion of these idiots are of the ultra-right wing skinheaded variety. They don't do peaceful protest.

If you don't want to wear a mask, it's not a legal requirement (hopefully the government will grow a pair and change this), but it is irresponsible and selfish given what we know. It's not to protect you, it's to protect others from what's coming out of you. The fact it's not a legal requirement shows how utterly ridiculous these people are, protesting something that's currently advisory.

Â