Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Well Boris is in charge and he recently said we should go back to work and that there will be a level of normality by Christmas... 

I bet part of their meeting yesterday was making sure that clown was nowhere near this press conference to undermine it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

So is the general gist of this press conference "we're all ****"?

That's the impression I get. It's too late to do anything and we're on a road to 50,000 infections a day regardless now.

The gist is basically the second wave is starting to break and if we don't do something about it, it is going to get bad. What we do is down to how the government wants to balance the virus impact versus economic impact (hahahaha...) and how seriously the public takes whatever measures are advised.

The public of course being at fault for going back to work and the pub when the government told us to.

It's nice to hear that Emperor Johnson has seen fit to grant the devolved leaders an audience for the first time in 4 months. He's a busy chap, after all. How many holidays has he had in that time, do you reckon?

I don't think there was anything wrong with opening the pubs, or schools. The mistake has been doing too much too rapidly. It should have been gently releasing specific measures, then monitoring for a couple of weeks, not just "**** it, lockdown's over lads, get yourselves back to the office". 

Whatever happened to that Nandos scale Johnson showed off on TV then never mentioned again?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

So is the general gist of this press conference "we're all ****"?

That's the impression I get. It's too late to do anything and we're on a road to 50,000 infections a day regardless now.

Thats not what i took from it. If we continue at the current rate then will get to 50,000 infections a day and 200 deaths a day by Mid October but measures can be put in place to slow the reproduction rate down but can the economy afford it. 

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Thats not what i took from it. If we continue at the current rate then will get to 50,000 infections a day and 200 deaths a day by Mid October but measures can be put in place to slow the reproduction rate down but can the economy afford it. 

We all know that they won't do anything drastic to slow the rate. They've made up their mind that money comes first.

They aren't even willing to take the relatively minor step of going back to a "work from home when you can" strategy.

hence: we're ****

Edited by desensitized43
more

On 29/07/2020 at 21:12, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I’m a civil servant. We were planning for a second spike in January 2021 caused by Christmas and winter.  That then moved to November.  We’re now working on October.  

But the government seem determined to avoid a national lockdown even if that means imposing lockdowns in cities and not rural areas.  We’ve been discussing what “easements” need to be abandoned and what restrictions need to be reimposed.  But the big change from March 2020 is that we are working on geographic variances. 

I am finding this a bit scary.  In one breath the government is gradually relaxing restrictions.  But behind the scenes we’re all working on plans for a second spike that’s going to be worse than the first.  I am a big believer in “Plan for the worst” but at the moment it feels like we are doing that because it’s the most likely scenario.  

This was my opinion in July.  

I still think we are "planning for the worst" because that's exactly where we are heading.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

We all know that they won't do anything drastic to slow the rate. They've made up their mind that money comes first.

They aren't even willing to take the relatively minor step of going back to a "work from home when you can" strategy.

hence: we're ****

True but it doesn't help when people blatently break the quarantine rules like the person from Bolton. I never believed in snitching but we are talking about life and death not just money so I have no problem with doing just that now. 

Edited by PaulC

Just now, Davkaus said:

We must be due a bunch of articles about Boris taking personal charge. 

It’s all gone wrong after he last spent an hour taking personal charge. It must be frustrating for him to have to keep sorting out the issues everyone else creates.

He’s had to step in multiple times to get involved in this, at one point he was reading emails at 6pm.

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

True but it doesn't help when people blatently break the quarantine rules like the person from Bolton. I never believed in snitching but we are talking about life and death not just money so I have no problem with doing just that now. 

Perhaps if they'd agreed to stand behind people who needed to quarantine rather than sticking to the line that statutory sick pay was enough to live on people would have been happy to quarantine.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think 'snitching' on the rule breakers is a civic obligation.

Â