Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

The deaths on average appear to have plateaued. (Pedants, don’t get hung up on my lack of research) is there detail on who is actually dying now? Underlying health problems, the elderly. Who is dying?

The English mostly and one from Wales. 114 deaths in the UK announced today, 113 in England.

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not saying your wife is wrong, I just genuinely don't understand why someone would be put off going to the shop by having to wear a mask. 

It's because you look a dick, innit bruv.

• Haha 2

Regarding the free Internet didn't they offer free government Internet in New Zealand and like all nationalised government run things that sound great as an idea, it was a completely rubbish service which everyone hated so nobody used. 

As someone earlier stated the competition between companies keeps speeds up. 

The free market is far far from perfect but as soon as you get a Government monopoly running something it will turn to shit faster than a bowl of cream on a hot day. 

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Regarding the free Internet didn't they offer free government Internet in New Zealand and like all nationalised government run things that sound great as an idea, it was a completely rubbish service which everyone hated so nobody used. 

The free market is far far from perfect but as soon as you get a Government monopoly running something it will turn to shit faster than a bowl of cream on a hot day. 

No.

This is silly shit economics, 102.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Oxford vaccine is looking very good - have been following it every day and results will be published on Monday for first phase, plus they are going to do challenge trials. I think we'll be rid of this virus by Xmas. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

The Oxford vaccine is looking very good - have been following it every day and results will be published on Monday for first phase, plus they are going to do challenge trials.

Yes, it is. Fingers and more crossed.

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I think we'll be rid of this virus by Xmas. 

Whoah. Where do you get that from?

• Like 1

Sorry if it's been posted already, but there seems to be an effort by certain Tories to gaslight the public into thinking Lockdown started a week earlier than it did

I assume this is to combat the narrative that we locked down too late.

I should be surprised. But I'm not

• Like 3

Just now, snowychap said:

Yes, it is. Fingers and more crossed.

Whoah. Where do you get that from?

Just the fact that if the majority of the country are vaccinated, then it's sorted. And worse case is all those other vaccines have time to be developed and a better vaccine is found. 

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Just the fact that if the majority of the country are vaccinated, then it's sorted. And worse case is all those other vaccines have time to be developed and a better vaccine is found. 

At 100,000 people a day it’ll take 2 years to vaccinate everybody in the UK once (some theories suggest that multiple vaccinations will be needed).

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

I'm sorry but this is utterly bizarre.

Just now, snowychap said:

I'm sorry but this is utterly bizarre.

Ok - I'm confused. Why is that bizarre? If a vaccination which prevents a deadly disease from killing people works - why is the virus still capable of shutting down the UK? I take @Genie  's point, that it will be tough to do every one at once, but Astrazenaca have stated there will be enough doses by October - they will vaccinate healthcare workers and vulnerable people first - and we know kids don't transmit it (see Welsh government statement) - so thinking we will be ok by Xmas (again if it works) is still bizarre, please explain why. 

25 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Ok - I'm confused.

Obviously.

There's a difference between posting what is happening and positing what this may mean for the future.

Edit: And that's before we get in to the 'vaccination which prevents' stuff.

Edited by snowychap

31 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have no idea about internet provision in New Zealand, but competition between companies does not 'keep speeds up'. For the vast majority of the country, whichever provider you use they are using the same Openreach wiring. 

Competition between providers has mostly affected price and been seen in the bundling of other services with broadband.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I have no idea about internet provision in New Zealand, but competition between companies does not 'keep speeds up'. For the vast majority of the country, whichever provider you use they are using the same Openreach wiring. 

Competition between providers has mostly affected price and been seen in the bundling of other services with broadband.

Pretty sure my Virgin Media broadband doesn't run through Openreach. It is fast as **** as well. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Obviously.

There's a difference between posting what is happening and positing what this may mean for the future.

It's not a fictional leap of faith - yes it's hopeful, but on Monday they publish the results of the phase 1 trials. There's a reason multiple countries have placed orders and that's because they know it's probably going to work. The woman behind it (Sarah Gilbert) is waking up at 4am every morning trying to improve the system for producing the vaccine at scale - it is a phenomenal story of vaccine technology that was already in place (as a fix for Sars and Ebola) alongside superhuman effort to get it manufactured and through testing as fast as possible. They are even doing challenge trials soon where they infect well paid 20 year olds to speed up the process. Whatever you think, this is all happening and it's remarkable. 

Have a read https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-07-15/oxford-s-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-coronavirus-front-runner?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-businessweek&utm_content=businessweek&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

The University of Oxford candidate, led by Sarah Gilbert, might be through human trials in September. AstraZeneca has lined up agreements to produce 2 billion doses. Could this be the one?

Edited by Jareth

Â