Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Pretty sure my Virgin Media broadband doesn't run through Openreach. It is fast as **** as well. 

I can't comment on your specific provision obviously, but the proportion of fibre laid by other providers is not high.

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It's not a fictional leap of faith - yes it's hopeful, but on Monday they publish the results of the phase 1 trials. There's a reason multiple countries have placed orders and that's because they know it's probably going to work. The woman behind it (Sarah Gilbert) is waking up at 4am every morning trying to improve the system for producing the vaccine at scale - it is a phenomenal story of vaccine technology that was already in place (as a fix for Sars and Ebola) alongside superhuman effort to get it manufactured and through testing as fast as possible. They are even doing challenge trials soon where they infect well paid 20 year olds to speed up the process. Whatever you think, this is all happening and it's remarkable. 

'It's not a fictional leap of faith - yes it's hopeful' is one of the silliest things I've seen posted on here.

Edit: Try and stick to the stuff that may and might be the case - like the info from the trials and the hopeful results from the various outputs, &c.

Edited by snowychap

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It's not a fictional leap of faith - yes it's hopeful, but on Monday they publish the results of the phase 1 trials. There's a reason multiple countries have placed orders and that's because they know it's probably going to work. The woman behind it (Sarah Gilbert) is waking up at 4am every morning trying to improve the system for producing the vaccine at scale - it is a phenomenal story of vaccine technology that was already in place (as a fix for Sars and Ebola) alongside superhuman effort to get it manufactured and through testing as fast as possible. They are even doing challenge trials soon where they infect well paid 20 year olds to speed up the process. Whatever you think, this is all happening and it's remarkable. 

I agree that it sounds very positive, and I am optimistic that there will be a vaccine eventually. But I think you are underestimating a] the potential for setbacks in the development of any one vaccine, b] the time it will take results to be analysed and replicated, even from challenge trials, and most importantly c] the logistical challenge of distributing and administering the vaccine around the country and around the world.

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I agree that it sounds very positive, and I am optimistic that there will be a vaccine eventually. But I think you are underestimating a] the potential for setbacks in the development of any one vaccine, b] the time it will take results to be analysed and replicated, even from challenge trials, and most importantly c] the logistical challenge of distributing and administering the vaccine around the country and around the world.

I suppose I think of the flu jab. In Wales it's given to all school kids at school, I get mine at Boots, vulnerable people get it at the GP. I think there are plenty of ways to distribute it. Setbacks are of course an issue, hence all the 'ifs' I've put in, but phase 1 trial results will be known on Monday, and challenge trials due to their nature need only a small sample to prove it works - basically 20 people. 

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Noooooo. It's about distribution - they can basically deliver a flu jab and Covid vaccination at the same appointment. 

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Isn't that the crux of the problem?

Colorado University Boulder article here about aerosol dispersement analysis of the Covid-19 virus and why wearing masks could save  your life and the lives of others. I'm posting this for those that are not convinced that wearing masks could be a significant factor in slowing the spread.

Even though our respective UK & US leaders (ROFLMAO) are not able to conjure a coherent message as to how to proceed, please listen to our scientists who have dedicated their lives to the study of such things and only want to give us the best information that they can (regardless of political affiliation.)

https://www.uchealth.org/today/covid-19-and-airborne-aerosols-what-you-need-to-know/

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I can't comment on your specific provision obviously, but the proportion of fibre laid by other providers is not high.

Virgin Cable covers 75% of the UK population and is expanding, I'd call that reasonably high

So found out yesterday my wife is an anti masker. She said when the rule comes in she will only wear it if asked and she went to a small local supermarket and when asked why she didn’t wear a mask, she said there was only the check out assistant in there. We will fallout over this. It will be the Elgin Marbles all over again. 

• Sad 2

Â