Generic Virus Thread

villakram

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

Exactly the same for me the only time I had it. I was in Spain, last full day and I felt really tired. Morning of travelling home it felt like a cold, my nose was blocked solid.

I really didn’t think it was covid but the wife insisted I did a test when we got home and it was positive.

No cough, no loss of smell or taste, no real high temperature… just a blocked nose.

In fairness I did actually say to my wife I wonder if it is covid and she said you are doing your usual and going OTT every time you have a cold. Low and behold I was right and she now also has it. I am loathe to call it a win though as doesn't really feel like one 😀

Last time I had it I was in a right state but this time like you just feels like a cold (blocked nose) and I am a little lethargic. 

49 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I feel bad having flown home unknowingly having it 

Don't feel bad. It is here to stay now. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Just once for me, but caught it in Spain so not sure if it counts as it wasn’t proper British covid.

As you say sounds like the weaker foreign variety. You can join the club!*

*Free from proper British covid!

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of talk about a new super variant of Covid in London. 

Could we see a return of face masks and lockdowns if it spreads? Or will it simply not be allowed again?

2 hours ago, Xela said:

Could we see a return of face masks and lockdowns if it spreads? Or will it simply not be allowed again?

Last week I had aches all over, then one night a bad migraine and since then a pretty constant nasty taste in my mouth so I wonder if I've had it.  I put the headache and nasty taste down to needing my wisdom tooth out and maybe being a bit infected but covid fits with the aches.

11 hours ago, Xela said:

I've been looking at it with interest myself but variants pop up all of the time (admittedly not to the extent of the change the scientists are apparently seeing).  I wouldn't worry too much yet - we were days away from re-introducing a lockdown when Omicron appeared (apparently - and that too had a number of concerning changes) but the South Africans were right and it was less deadly (albeit more transmissible) and we hold our nerve.  I don't expect a type of lockdown as we have seen previously (as it frankly won't wash with the public, let alone the financial implications) but I guess we'll just have to keep an eye on the rates (difficult when the testing etc has virtually disappeared :detect: ).  I'll be monitoring and will wear face masks again if there is a need (not a mandatory need, just because I fear for the vulnerable people like my folks or those pensioners who pick up their early morning newspapers).  

Data reporting is rubbish at the moment due to the lack of clear transparency of testing etc but the Our World in Data website is pretty good.  Pic below is from Our World in Data (https://ourworldindata.org/) but you can find the UK reporting stats on the good ol' Government dashboard here (https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/). 

image.thumb.png.30db19a48a4284607eee23833fb6d452.png

Edited by trekka

• 2 weeks later...

:detect:

Vaccines to protect people against Covid and flu this winter will be rolled out a month earlier than planned in England, because of the emergence of a new Covid variant.

NHS England bosses said it could be "a very challenging winter" if the variant increased the risk of infection.

Older adult care home residents and people who are immunosuppressed are to receive jabs from 11 September.

The plan is to vaccinate as many people as possible before the end of October.

BBC News

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chine said:

All 4 of us picked up covid again whilst on holiday in the Isle of Wight , we are all clear now but still got the cough .

Ive now had covid 3 times , Mrs x 2 , daughter x 2 , son x 5 

Careless

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Chine said:

All 4 of us picked up covid again whilst on holiday in the Isle of Wight , we are all clear now but still got the cough .

Ive now had covid 3 times , Mrs x 2 , daughter x 2 , son x 5 

That’s more than the total number of people I personally know who have managed to contract it since it started.

As Carragher would say, that’s obscene.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That’s more than the total number of people I personally know who have managed to contract it since it started.

As Carragher would say, that’s obscene.

Both the kids are students , Mrs is a secondary school teacher and I coach youth football to large groups up to 5 x a week ,we didn’t do a great deal of mixing with people while we were away as we needed a break , lots of passing people on the ferry , kids in the pool and playing football etc . The one group I coach has 4 players with covid atm 2 of which have returned from holiday with it , it’s rife already just in time for the kids to go back to school

Â