Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

67.2Million not.

67 million have Covid? I am talking of the people who have Covid 11,000 are in hospital. You said that of the people most have sniffles, aside from the 11,000 on hospital. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

True, it’ll be a pointless statistic. People going into hospital will be the main barometer of things getting better/worse.

I think (personally) that's been the case from my perspective for a while now. It's around a thousand a day, currently, but improving.

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

How many people die of a cold in a year?

It’s a truer representation to evaluate it against common flu isn’t it?

According to the BBC today the mortality rate for COVID so far this year (small sample size admittedly) is now less than that of flu (something like 0.011 for covid vs 0.02 for flu (historical average), I don’t recall the exact %’s but the comparison between the two is something like that).

Whatever the weather, I just hope we can all largely put this well behind us in the coming months.

Not gonna lie, this virus has totally rewired my brain. Sat down after dinner last night about 7ish and felt really, really tired. Ended up falling asleep on the sofa which isn't like me that early.

Woke up feeling fine but as the mornings gone on I've felt really tired again. Found out I was sat next to someone in the office the other day who's tested positive. Straight away I'm putting down a bit of tiredness to contracting covid. Just done a test and it's come back negative anyway. I've also convientenly now perked up.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

For some (many) folks, it isn’t even a cold to be fair.

That also isn't the point

My daughter has it right now, she just has a sore throat but she can still infect someone else and they might die. And the deaths don't all fall into the old underlying conditions types either

Some apparently normal fit and healthy younger people can die from the virus

I just think testing and self-isolation is still required because it isn't just a cold, it isn't just the flu. For the vast majority as you say, its less than that but for others its deadly

• Like 3

Its not causing as many deaths as when it first hit either. I know varous vulnerable people that have caught this strain and their symptoms have been mild. Cold like symptoms. 

This variant  is more of a cold (sore throat, headache)

Edited by Demitri_C

49 minutes ago, bickster said:

That also isn't the point

My daughter has it right now, she just has a sore throat but she can still infect someone else and they might die. And the deaths don't all fall into the old underlying conditions types either

Some apparently normal fit and healthy younger people can die from the virus

I just think testing and self-isolation is still required because it isn't just a cold, it isn't just the flu. For the vast majority as you say, its less than that but for others its deadly

Couldn't this be said about the flu pre covid (and even now)?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

About 5 in the UK. I'm sure you're making a point, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

You cant measure how many people  in UK die of bee stings a year just like you cant  on a cold as its not reported.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

You cant measure how many people  in UK die of bee stings a year just like you cant  on a cold as its not reported.

I'm going to make a habit of asking you this. Are you sure of this? Have you done any research?

• Like 1

Just now, Davkaus said:

I'm going to make a habit of asking you this. Are you sure of this? Have you done any research?

Try find a accurate source of how many people die of a cold.

My other point is and this i might be wrong with but i dont think they have been reporting flu deaths like they were pre covid?

Edited by Demitri_C

Â