Generic Virus Thread

villakram

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

BBC news at 10:

"I am told that what shocked the Prime Minister in today's figures was the sheer number of people seriously ill in hospital who had not been vaccinated which is why he is concentrating on the vaccine message instead of introducing new restrictions."

Why the **** will people not get the message?  Idiots. Natural selection in play at this point. 

BS. Most of the people at Russells Hall are at least double vaxxed - that’s direct from a nurse who works there. BBC reporting is shocking.

6 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

BS. Most of the people at Russells Hall are at least double vaxxed - that’s direct from a nurse who works there. BBC reporting is shocking.

I don't see that has any relevance to the national picture showing that there are a lot of unvaccinated people ill in hospital. 

And to be fair I think he actually said the "vaccine and booster message" so that would still make sense if you are saying there are a lot of people ill who are double vaxxed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

From what I can tell the Government is making zero effort to stress the point that the people in hospital with covid are mainly unvaccinated (proportionally). 

Absolutely.

I find it incredible this isn't being shouted from the rooftops but I don't think I've seen any data widely reported regarding vaccination status and hospitalisations it seems bizarre.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Remember that if 95% of the adult population are vaccinated, then 95% of the hospitalisations should be also assuming zero effect. If the vaccination works, it will be less than that percentage.

ANYONE unvaccinated ending up in hospital with Covid has proved that they should have got vaccinated.

Edited by a m ole
  • Confused 1

I think the problem over the coming days and weeks is that most NHS staff started getting boosters early October. The effectiveness of that booster is starting to wear off.

In my extended family I have 3 who work in frontline NHS - all triple jabbed. 2 have gone down with covid over Xmas.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

I think the problem over the coming days and weeks is that most NHS staff started getting boosters early October. The effectiveness of that booster is starting to wear off.

In my extended family I have 3 who work in frontline NHS - all triple jabbed. 2 have gone down with covid over Xmas.

Yeah, I was worried about my parents who were boosted in September. They must be due this mythical 4th jab which seems to have been mentioned but no details and who/when. 

12 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Positive stuff! 

Is this guy respected mate? The dr you put up last time was a crackpot, we need some positive news but I’m suspect about many of these people good and bad these days.

Edited by nick76

2 hours ago, hippo said:

You'd be shocked how many nurses, doctors, carers are not vaccinated in hospitals. Mask wearing is sparse in certain areas too. Some want to catch it so they can have the time off paid.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Is this guy respected mate? The dr you put up last time was a crackpot

He seems pretty legit. Senior guy in South Africa. His lab first identified Beta according to Wiki.  Of course Wiki can be full of horse shit. 

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Is this guy respected mate? The dr you put up last time was a crackpot, we need some positive news but I’m suspect about many of these people good and bad these days.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

He seems pretty legit. Senior guy in South Africa. His lab first identified Beta according to Wiki.  Of course Wiki can be full of horse shit. 

The guy is legit. His background and scientific/publication history check out

12 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Positive stuff! 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

7 minutes ago, a-k said:

The guy is legit. His background and scientific/publication history check out

It’s saying it’s based on a sample study of 15 participants…I’m no scientist but I’m sure that’s not sufficient sample size to draw any conclusions from?

This seems like a big hole in the conclusion from the above tweet

Therefore, it is unclear if what we observe
is effective cross-neutralization of Delta virus by Omicron elicited antibodies, or activation of antibody immunity from previous infection and/or vaccination

So we tested and believe it’s this so we’ll say that but really we have no idea.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

It’s saying it’s based on a sample study of 15 participants…I’m no scientist but I’m sure that’s not sufficient sample size to draw any conclusions from?

I would also question if a 2 week time period is enough to come to any conclusions, but still if a serious senior guy thinks it's worth commenting on I've got to assume it's probably a positive thing if still to be proven / borne out in any real future world. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would also question if a 2 week time period is enough to come to any conclusions, but still if a serious senior guy thinks it's worth commenting on I've got to assume it's probably a positive thing if still to be proven / borne out in any real future world. 

Sorry just added in my previous post from the above Alex Sigal tweet

Therefore, it is unclear if what we observe
is effective cross-neutralization of Delta virus by Omicron elicited antibodies, or activation of antibody immunity from previous infection and/or vaccination

This seems like a big hole in the conclusion from the above tweet. So we tested and believe it’s this so we’ll say that but really we have no idea. 

If even legit guys are publishing this with low participants, short window, preprint and non-peer reviewed then what hope do we have!

Edited by nick76

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What? Surely this can’t be true?

The younger nurses/carers don't care. They have random time off anyway, so any excuse. My Mrs is forever telling them to put there masks back on, also says 40% of the younger staff are not fully vaxed. Hardly anyone wears masks in the staff room, what does this tell you.

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

The younger nurses/carers don't care. They have random time off anyway, so any excuse. My Mrs is forever telling them to put there masks back on, also says 40% of the younger staff are not fully vaxed. Hardly anyone wears masks in the staff room, what does this tell you.

I thought it was mandatory for NHS nurses to be vaccinated but just read that’s from April 2022

https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/rcn-advice/covid-19-and-mandatory-vaccination

The government have announced, following further consultation, that this legislation will be extended to include all frontline staff in CQC regulated healthcare provision. This includes all NHS and independent health care services. Staff must be vaccinated with COVID-19 vaccines (unless a medical exemption applies) as a condition of deployment. It is expected that this will come into force from 1 April 2022, as such all staff will need to have had their first dose of vaccine by 3 February 2022 so they can be fully vaccinated by 1 April 2022.

Doesn’t help us now though does it.  Talk about leaving it too late.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I thought it was mandatory for NHS nurses to be vaccinated but just read that’s from April 2022

https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/rcn-advice/covid-19-and-mandatory-vaccination

Doesn’t help us now though does it.  Talk about leaving it too late.

Yeah, my Mrs has heard rumours from 1 or 2 they will leave if it becomes mandatory. Truly shocking, although saying this my Mrs booster is overdue. I think it's just taking time out maybe for alot of them, not sure why they just don't do it at the hospitals for staff, would help no doubt.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I said the guy is legit, I didn't refer to the study. 15 participants is not ideal, but the paper is written in such a way that it is like a rapid report rather than full article. OK for quickly disseminating information in these times.

55 minutes ago, nick76 said:

This seems like a big hole in the conclusion from the above tweet

So we tested and believe it’s this so we’ll say that but really we have no idea.

Does it matter? Their results suggest omicron infection protects against subsequent delta infection; they are just unsure which of two reasons best explains that: 1) if that is from the specific antibodies developed in response to the omicron infection, or 2) if having omicron reignited the antibody response previously developed (against delta) from either previous infection or vaccination. They are unsure because they didn't (aka couldn't) test it, but it doesn't change the conclusion.

51 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah, my Mrs has heard rumours from 1 or 2 they will leave if it becomes mandatory. Truly shocking, although saying this my Mrs booster is overdue. I think it's just taking time out maybe for alot of them, not sure why they just don't do it at the hospitals for staff, would help no doubt.

They do.

And I work at the same trust as your partner. There is a totally separate vaccination program for staff. 

IME - all staff are wearing masks and personally I don't anyone unvaccinated. Admittedly that's from a small non clinical sample size.

• Like 1

Â