Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Also see potentially positive news here too:

Omicron variant may have picked up a piece of common-cold virus

'NEW YORK, Dec 3 (Reuters) - The Omicron variant of the virus that causes COVID-19 likely acquired at least one of its mutations by picking up a snippet of genetic material from another virus - possibly one that causes the common cold - present in the same infected cells, according to researchers.

This genetic sequence does not appear in any earlier versions of the coronavirus, called SARS-CoV-2, but is ubiquitous in many other viruses including those that cause the common cold, and also in the human genome, researchers said.

By inserting this particular snippet into itself, Omicron might be making itself look "more human," which would help it evade attack by the human immune system, said Venky Soundararajan of Cambridge, Massachusetts-based data analytics firm nference, who led the study posted on Thursday on the website OSF Preprints.

This could mean the virus transmits more easily, while only causing mild or asymptomatic disease. Scientists do not yet know whether Omicron is more infectious than other variants, whether it causes more severe disease or whether it will overtake Delta as the most prevalent variant. It may take several weeks to get answers to these questions.'

from: https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/omicron-variant-may-have-picked-up-piece-common-cold-virus-2021-12-03/

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Also see potentially positive news here too:

Omicron variant may have picked up a piece of common-cold virus

'NEW YORK, Dec 3 (Reuters) - The Omicron variant of the virus that causes COVID-19 likely acquired at least one of its mutations by picking up a snippet of genetic material from another virus - possibly one that causes the common cold - present in the same infected cells, according to researchers.

This genetic sequence does not appear in any earlier versions of the coronavirus, called SARS-CoV-2, but is ubiquitous in many other viruses including those that cause the common cold, and also in the human genome, researchers said.

By inserting this particular snippet into itself, Omicron might be making itself look "more human," which would help it evade attack by the human immune system, said Venky Soundararajan of Cambridge, Massachusetts-based data analytics firm nference, who led the study posted on Thursday on the website OSF Preprints.

This could mean the virus transmits more easily, while only causing mild or asymptomatic disease. Scientists do not yet know whether Omicron is more infectious than other variants, whether it causes more severe disease or whether it will overtake Delta as the most prevalent variant. It may take several weeks to get answers to these questions.'

from: https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/omicron-variant-may-have-picked-up-piece-common-cold-virus-2021-12-03/

Sounds like time to have an infection party 😎

25 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Isn't this how the original SARs virus finally disappeared. Could be amazing news if so.

Cue all the anti-vax declaring this is what they knew was going to happen all along and we didn’t need vaccines, just wait…

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

Booster done this morning on the way to work, Moderna after two AZ. No side effects yet

Is that the strongest possible combination? I'm sure there was a report last week that showed this. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

Booster done this morning on the way to work, Moderna after two AZ. No side effects yet

Same. Double AZ and a top up of moderna yesterday.  
Had a bit of a headache last night but then I always have one after a villa match. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Restrictions incoming in Norway. Details tomorrow, but told to expect ‘substantial’ restrictions. 

Perhaps counterintuitively, I’m tempted to call a return to draconian restrictions borderline reckless.

Let’s see what ‘substantial’ means.

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Is that the strongest possible combination? I'm sure there was a report last week that showed this. 

Yep. Two shots of AZ, a splash of Moderna, a drizzle of vermouth. Shaken not stirred. Garnish with an olive. 

Two AZ’s and the booster was Pfizer last Friday.

No side effects, not even a sore arm.

Currently canvassing to have the border closed again. Nothing to do with the 330 Omicron cases, I just enjoyed it last time.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

51,459 cases today in the UK is a record isn’t it? If not it’s very close, and the storm hasn’t landed yet either.

Where will it peak? 60,000? 70,000?

It's not even the biggest number in the last 7 days 😁

68,000 was the highest ever in January.  I think we're going to see that again now with Omicron. Obviously hospital cases are a lot lower than those January high times due to vaccinations. 

Hopefully this Omicron is less deadly because we're going to need it to be. 

39 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's not even the biggest number in the last 7 days 😁

68,000 was the highest ever in January.  I think we're going to see that again now with Omicron. Obviously hospital cases are a lot lower than those January high times due to vaccinations. 

Hopefully this Omicron is less deadly because we're going to need it to be. 

Ah, I thought when we went over 50,000 a few weeks back it was record breaking.

Even with it being less deadly, with so many cases we’re probably gonna fill up them ICU beds.

Talk of 100,000 a day was ridiculed a few months ago. It doesn’t look impossible from here. 

Â