Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just found out I was at an exposure site over here the other day so its a week off of work and a couple of tests for me, after COVID really being something that was happening more in other states than here (minus some pretty lenient restrictions) its crazy how quickly its been pushed back into the primacy of life after opening our borders to Victoria and NSW.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

51,459 cases today in the UK is a record isn’t it? If not it’s very close, and the storm hasn’t landed yet either.

Where will it peak? 60,000? 70,000?

Surely cases don’t really matter IF Omicron is more contagious but less severe?  It’s hospitalisations that matter and it might be the case that 100,000 daily cases with virtually no-one going into hospital.  

No-one vaccinated anyway!

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Two AZ’s and the booster was Pfizer last Friday.

No side effects, not even a sore arm.

Same doses here.

The two AZ's did nowt.

The Pfizer announced itself late in evening after the jab.  An aching neck and some nausea. Fine by morning.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ender4 said:

Surely cases don’t really matter IF Omicron is more contagious but less severe?  It’s hospitalisations that matter and it might be the case that 100,000 daily cases with virtually no-one going into hospital.  

No-one vaccinated anyway!

The hospitals in South Africa are filling up. Even if it is less severe a percentage will still be hospitalised. Many more cases = more people in hospital, maybe, we’ll have to wait and see. 

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

The hospitals in South Africa are filling up. Even if it is less severe a percentage will still be hospitalised. Many more cases = more people in hospital, maybe, we’ll have to wait and see. 

There is a bigger picture related to this as vaccination figures are nowhere near the UK as an example. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

There is a bigger picture related to this as vaccination figures are nowhere near the UK as an example. 

Yes, that’ll be a factor, but I suspect the fact that most developed countries have shit the bed over this they are expecting an influx of people needing hospital treatment. 
Hopefully it’s a rare case of locking the door before the horse bolts and we ride the wave out without too much pressure on the NHS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

@AVFC_Hitz has posted a lot about the lack of vaccination uptake in Bulgaria, so it was interesting to see this shown graphically:

FF_unYpXoAISfzI?format=jpg&name=4096x409

(from: https://twitter.com/frithlaoch/status/1468154463693246465 )

It turns out it's a huge outlier even within central and eastern Europe, and that does not look great. 

Maybe it's because of all the great Uncle's who live there?

• Haha 1

Now 3 tests to travel to the UK. only from the government approved list populated by their mates of course. 

id love to know the scientific reasoning for free NHS tests not being allowed. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

The Pfizer jab gave me a dead arm for a couple of days both times. But I suspect a fair whack of that is down to how it's administered, together with my having a clotting issue which means injuries are worse for me these days.

55 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Now 3 tests to travel to the UK. only from the government approved list populated by their mates of course. 

id love to know the scientific reasoning for free NHS tests not being allowed. 

They're exactly the same as well from what I can tell (I had to do a private LFT when I came back form holiday last week).

The only difference was for the private one I had to send an actual picture of the test to them and they sent me back a certificate after a doctor had looked at it and agreed it was negative

5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

@AVFC_Hitz has posted a lot about the lack of vaccination uptake in Bulgaria, so it was interesting to see this shown graphically:

FF_unYpXoAISfzI?format=jpg&name=4096x409

(from: https://twitter.com/frithlaoch/status/1468154463693246465 )

It turns out it's a huge outlier even within central and eastern Europe, and that does not look great. 

It also shows how our vaccine rollout is stalling again as mentioned earlier in the thread.

We were (rightly) blowing our own trumpet when we first rolled out the vaccine. Now we have one of the lowest uptakes in Western Europe

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It also shows how our vaccine rollout is stalling again as mentioned earlier in the thread.

We were (rightly) blowing our own trumpet when we first rolled out the vaccine. Now we have one of the lowest uptakes in Western Europe

Just spoke to a guy in work who was bragging about never having caught Covid and not being vaccinated, never wearing a mask etc.  Was quite taken aback.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We got the capacity in place earlier which was great. We have plenty now still but have run out of willing participants.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

We got the capacity in place earlier which was great. We have plenty now still but have run out of willing participants.

Getting willing participants is still the responsibility of the government

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Just spoke to a guy in work who was bragging about never having caught Covid and not being vaccinated, never wearing a mask etc.  Was quite taken aback.

I hate this attitude.

Someone on facebook posted a photo of their family during the Spanish Flu and claimed they never wore masks so if they can survive that then I can survive this without a mask.

Absolutely no sense of how moronic that is. Spanish Flu killed 50 million people but because your family were one of the lucky ones that means you're invincible?

It's like being the only man left on earth after a nuclear war and saying "well I survived, nuclear warfare is harmless!"

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Absolutely. We have actually done pretty poorly since the first month or two after they became widely available. This isn't really widely discussed though, because 1) who wants to gainsay the government, and 2) no-one has any answers for persuading refuseniks anyway (other than waiting them out and gradually regulating them into a situation where they have no choice but to take the vaccine). 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Â