Generic Virus Thread

villakram

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sorry, all I do is compare numbers on x day to the corresponding day the week before.  Obviously you can get abnormalities that way but you tend to get the same reporting patterns on corresponding days, eg Mondays tend to have quite low numbers because of poor weekend reporting and Tuesdays tend to be higher due to catch up, hence 20 deaths today is a suprise compared to 4 last Monday.  Yesterday's 4 was up compared to 1 last Sunday (I was hoping for a zero yesterday or today). Maybe they've just got the weekend catch up in early this week and tomorrow will be less instead. 

20 does seem a lot but c450 people die a day of cancer in the UK every single day. I know they're not comparable but it just puts the 20 into perspective a little bit. 

We've done so well and we're nearly there. On the home straight. 

@brommy thanks for the tip! I’ve just booked my second jab online using your method. I’m happy with that, I’m the only person I know who didn’t get a date for the second dose at the time of the first jab, was starting to wonder if they’d forgotten. 

• Thanks 1

We're now at a point where individual outbreaks really shape the numbers . . . part of the reason for the increase in infections was that there were 100 infections at one school in Derbyshire, and I think there was another one similar with fewer numbers, which was a not insignificant part of the national total.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

We're now at a point where individual outbreaks really shape the numbers . . . part of the reason for the increase in infections was that there were 100 infections at one school in Derbyshire, and I think there was another one similar with fewer numbers, which was a not insignificant part of the national total.

Yeah, its hard to get a handle on just how low the numbers are now compared to just a couple of months ago. 

I'm sure Europe will see a similar fall as their vaccines roll out.  That green list will grow and grow over the next couple of months. 

9 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

@brommy thanks for the tip! I’ve just booked my second jab online using your method. I’m happy with that, I’m the only person I know who didn’t get a date for the second dose at the time of the first jab, was starting to wonder if they’d forgotten. 

Same for me, so I booked online and if they get in touch offering anything earlier, its a bonus. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Nice, thanks for the tip-off. I’ll be up nice and early anyway so hopefully get in before the inevitable crash of the website.

My OH who’s 37 has just got a text from her GP to say she can book and she managed to get in for tomorrow. Hopefully you shouldn’t have any problems getting an appointment.

Will be nice to finally get it done. It’s felt that the last couple of weeks have dragged waiting for the next group.

15 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

My OH who’s 37 has just got a text from her GP to say she can book and she managed to get in for tomorrow. Hopefully you shouldn’t have any problems getting an appointment.

Will be nice to finally get it done. It’s felt that the last couple of weeks have dragged waiting for the next group.

She booked it through the normal website (which says 40+)? 

Big WHO commissioned covid report out today, regarding lessons to be learned and things todo. They do flag the opening day of this thread for their failure to declare and emergency that day, until ~10 later due to bureaucracy/national politics. Hindsight and all that.

"The Covid-19 pandemic was preventable, an independent review panel has said. The panel, set up by the World Health Organization, said the combined response of the WHO and global governments was a "toxic cocktail". The WHO should have declared a global emergency earlier than it did, its report said, adding that without urgent change the world was vulnerable to another major disease outbreak."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-57085505

The report can be grabbed below.

"Since September 2020, the Independent Panel has systematically, rigorously and comprehensively examined why COVID-19 became a global health and socio-economic crisis. In May 2021, the Panel presented its findings and recommendations for action to curb the COVID-19 pandemic and to ensure that any future infectious disease outbreak does not become another catastrophic pandemic."

https://theindependentpanel.org

Latest news from Norway is that once they’ve offered the vaccine to everyone over 44, they’ll skip my age bracket and do 44-40 and 24-18. No suggestions they’ll prioritise teachers yet*, meaning I’ll be one of the very last people (adults) in Norway to be offered the jab. I understand the reasoning, but f*** me it doesn’t half feel a little unfair after months of being fairly exposed working in crowded classrooms. Best case scenario, I’ll get mine early August. At the same time, they’ve scrapped the AZ shot all together and put the J&J in reserve. 

I’m getting a bit fed up. 
*Edit: Explicitly said they won’t be. F***.

Edited by El Zen

My niece is married to a German bloke and living in Leipzig. He's 40-odd, and just got his first jab. But he can't persuade his ageing parents to have it, because having lived through the GDR era, they mistrust anything whatsoever coming from the government. 

In a parallel story, one of my daughter's friends told her that her dad was also refusing it, not because of any worries, but because it might in some small way reflect credit on the Tory government!  :)

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I’ve just managed to book through the website, looks like they’ve lowered the criteria in the background. Next Monday for the first. 
Thanks for the tip offs :thumb: 

The same thing happened to me.  My mate messaged me to say he had heard they were lowering the criteria from 42 to 40 shortly.  The website still showed 42+ but I managed to book just fine (I was probably one of the first 40 year olds to book :D).

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â