Generic Virus Thread

villakram

On 09/05/2021 at 08:57, Genie said:

This is true, I know a lot of people that have been vaccinated at LR Solihull
I’m not sure if they are commercially available, or if a deal has been struck for big employers with workers in big factories to get a delivery of the NHS vaccines.

JLR has had onsite testing for its staff for a long time as part of NHS trials.

Good job fans are still banned from grounds otherwise all 50,000 of the LR night shift would've been at "Stans" 😉

23 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Just a nitpick really but if the UK's vaccine rollout is so lauded then why is everyone my age and below on my Facebook feed in the US and Canada being vaccinated before me?

Sssssh! The government’s vaccination programme is world-leading, unlike NHS Test & Trace.

31 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Just a nitpick really but if the UK's vaccine rollout is so lauded then why is everyone my age and below on my Facebook feed in the US and Canada being vaccinated before me?

Largely because of 'vaccine hesitancy' it seems. The UK is quite unusual, in that we are the least vaccine-hesitant country in the world, with the highest proportion of the population saying they intend to have the vaccine as soon as possible.

By contrast, in the US there is a large proportion of the population who say they either don't want to get the vaccine or want more time to think about it. This has led to a different supply:demand profile, so in order to get vaccines out of the door as fast as possible lots of states and municipalities have dropped all age requirements and are just on a first-come-first-served basis for anyone who wants one.

EDIT: Also I think there's some weird prioritisation as well. One of my best friends is a fit and healthy 34 year old who lives in California, but because he's involved in some IT work for New York's transit authority he's somehow considered a 'key worker' and got vaccinated weeks ago.

Edited by HanoiVillan

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Because we are being (sensibly) quite strict about rolling it down through age groups, going from most at risk to least at risk. 

I would hazard a guess that they've got some madcap way of distributing them, probably prioritising richer areas first. 

To be honest we are only just slightly ahead of USA on vaccines now anyway following our slowdown due to lack of availability.

They will probably overtake us soon unless we can ramp up again.

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Zero coronavirus deaths recorded in England, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Just the Welsh letting the side down.

:trollface: 

Vaccine overdose apparently.

I'm sure it's purely coincidence but they've also just discovered that sheep can catch and transmit the virus too. 

u mad bro troll GIF

• Haha 2

Unbeknown to me, you can book a second dose online even if the first dose was arranged by phone call from your GP.

I was all set to hope my GP rang to give me a second dose date but decided to explore the NHS online booking system. After entering name, postcode and date of birth, the system recognised that I had already had one dose and gave me a choice of dates starting from 11 weeks after my first dose. I chose the first date, 31st May 11 weeks to the day after my first AZ. Looking likely to have both doses 15 days before a holiday in Rhodes.

*which was nice*

Edited by brommy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, brommy said:

Unbeknown to me, you can book a second dose online even if the first dose was arranged by phone call from your GP.

I was all set to hope my GP rang to give me a second dose date but decided to explore the NHS online booking system. After entering name, postcode and date of birth, the system recognised that I had already had one dose and gave me a choice of dates starting from 11 weeks after my first dose. I chose the first date, 31st May 11 weeks to the day after my first AZ. Looking likely to have both doses 15 days before a holiday in Rhodes.

*which was nice*

Cheers for this info. I've just gone on NHS site and it gives me a date 11 weeks after my first jab (will be 29th May). It doesn't specifically say it is for 2nd jab though, did yours specifically mention 2nd jab or as it gives a date 11 weeks after first jab do I just assume it knows. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Cheers for this info. I've just gone on NHS site and it gives me a date 11 weeks after my first jab (will be 29th May). It doesn't specifically say it is for 2nd jab though, did yours specifically mention 2nd jab or as it gives a date 11 weeks after first jab do I just assume it knows. 

Yes, somewhere in the process it did say ‘your second dose’ or words to that effect. Same happened for my wife’s booking. Also, too much of a coincidence that it says you can book your second dose from 11 weeks after the first dose and the first dates available were exactly 11 weeks after the first dose. System knows.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, brommy said:

Yes, somewhere in the process it did say ‘your second dose’ or words to that effect. Same happened for my wife’s booking. Also, too much of a coincidence that it says you can book your second dose from 11 weeks after the first dose and the first dates available were exactly 11 weeks after the first dose. System knows.

Thanks again mate. After I'd completed booking it said booking complete 2nd dose. All booked up for the 31st May 11 weeks and 2 days after first jab. I could have had the 29th May but a day on the beer has already been arranged and didn't want to risk any side affects putting a dampener on things. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Thanks again mate. After I'd completed booking it said booking complete 2nd dose. All booked up for the 31st May 11 weeks and 2 days after first jab. I could have had the 29th May but a day on the beer has already been arranged and didn't want to risk any side affects putting a dampener on things. 

Glad to help.

I was happy to accept a GP booking as it came over a week before I was eligible online but then I convinced myself that the two booking methods (GP phone call or online) wouldn’t synchronise so I was stuck waiting for a call to arrange my second dose. I was really pleased how simple it was to book online and get a second dose only 11 weeks after the first.

I suppose the only issue could be arriving at the Artrix for my second AZ dose to be told they’ve only got Pfizer available that day. Hopefully the online booking also knows this!

• Like 1

Yikes, this was on page 2.  Normality returning? 

I've noticed a small uptick in deaths, New cases and new hospital admissions. It's nothing concerning and tiny, but it's the first time the general trend across multiple indicators has bucked the general downwards trend in months. 

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've noticed a small uptick in deaths, New cases and new hospital admissions. It's nothing concerning and tiny, but it's the first time the general trend across multiple indicators has bucked the general downwards trend in months. 

Yeah, same round here (cases) . It’s inevitable as things free up. Still small numbers mind, which is nice.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Deaths (-6.5%) and hospital admissions (-18.5%) both down over last 7 days. 
Positive tests up though (+12.2%).

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

Deaths (-6.5%) and hospital admissions (-18.5%) both down over last 7 days. 
Positive tests up though (+12.2%).

Sorry, all I do is compare numbers on x day to the corresponding day the week before.  Obviously you can get abnormalities that way but you tend to get the same reporting patterns on corresponding days, eg Mondays tend to have quite low numbers because of poor weekend reporting and Tuesdays tend to be higher due to catch up, hence 20 deaths today is a suprise compared to 4 last Monday.  Yesterday's 4 was up compared to 1 last Sunday (I was hoping for a zero yesterday or today). Maybe they've just got the weekend catch up in early this week and tomorrow will be less instead. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Sorry, all I do is compare numbers on x day to the corresponding day the week before.  Obviously you can get abnormalities that way but you tend to get the same reporting patterns on corresponding days, eg Mondays tend to have quite low numbers because of poor weekend reporting and Tuesdays tend to be higher due to catch up, hence 20 deaths today is a suprise compared to 4 last Monday.  Yesterday's 4 was up compared to 1 last Sunday (I was hoping for a zero yesterday or today). Maybe they've just got the weekend catch up in early this week and tomorrow will be less instead. 

An uptick in positive tests is inevitable, but the main thing is if it doesn’t translate into hospital admissions and deaths then we’re on the right track.

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

An uptick in positive tests is inevitable, but the main thing is if it doesn’t translate into hospital admissions and deaths then we’re on the right track.

And that's where the vaccine effect kicks in, thankfully all tests to date so far the more transmissible "India" variant doesn't escape vaccines which is important, from the recent breakout at a care home where people had been vaccinated with the AZ vaccine there were no deaths or serious illness.

I did also read that we're apparently stockpiling circa 12m doses currently of which 5m are MRNA, these need to be in arms ASAP.

Edited by RussG
  • Like 1

Â