Generic Virus Thread

villakram

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sky News have pissed me off with their Coronavirus reporting. They are constantly putting a negative slant on everything. Every variant is highly dangerous.  Every thing that happens is slated as a disaster.  Todays stories are that Boris Johnson rules nothing out to control the Indian variant and that next weeks lockdown easing should be called off.  Its similar every day. 

"Very concerning..."

**** right off. 

The negative nellies are loving their year in the spotlight. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Sky News have pissed me off with their Coronavirus reporting. They are constantly putting a negative slant on everything. Every variant is highly dangerous.  Every thing that happens is slated as a disaster.  Todays stories are that Boris Johnson rules nothing out to control the Indian variant and that next weeks lockdown easing should be called off.  Its similar every day. 

You can drop corona from that comment... 

Same old

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

You can drop corona from that comment... 

Same old

Yeah, that is true but it's just really started to get my goat on the coronavirus lately. 

They do feel like a halfway house to Fox News. They're going to have to work to find their space when the new full on right wing news channels start up. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Sky are the absolute worst with their reporting, also giving constant airtime to "experts" such as Deepti Gurdasani who's desperate to maintain her prolonged period of relevance.

They must know the impact they're having on peoples mental health and anxiety, clearly they don't give much of a toss though.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RussG said:

Sky are the absolute worst with their reporting, also giving constant airtime to "experts" such as Deepti Gurdasani who's desperate to maintain her prolonged period of relevance.

They must know the impact they're having on peoples mental health and anxiety, clearly they don't give much of a toss though.

I don't watch or read the news, perks of living abroad, but I have found myself sticking sky news on YouTube a bit as background noise

What I've found particularly distasteful is them shouting questions at people in the street as they go about their business and then report them ignoring them as refusing to comment 

"Prince William refuses to comment on Prince Andrew allegation" is somehow a headline when the footage shows some woman screaming at him "is your uncle a pedo?" as he opens a new school

Get to **** you words removed 

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-news-live-latest-updates-ministers-poised-for-further-action-to-curb-indian-variant-as-study-shows-delaying-second-pfizer-jab-increases-protection-12302400

Delaying second Pfizer jab significantly boosts immune response in older people, study shows 

A 12-week gap between Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine doses significantly increases the immune response in older people, research suggests.

The antibody response in people aged over 80 is three and a half times greater in those who have the second dose after 12 weeks, compared with a three-week interval, the study found.

Researchers said the study of 175 people, who were older than 80 and living independently, is the first direct comparison of the immune response in any age group for the different intervals.

While the Pfizer jab was originally authorised for a three-week interval between doses, several countries including the UK extended it to 12 weeks so a greater percentage of the population could receive one dose quicker.

The study, led by the University of Birmingham in collaboration with Public Health England, found that extending the interval to 12 weeks increased the peak spike-specific antibody response to the virus 3.5-fold compared with those who had the second vaccine at three weeks

They concluded that waiting 12 weeks to administer a second Pfizer jab potentially enhances and extends antibody immunity and helps prevent infections.

First author Dr Helen Parry, National Institute for Health Research academic clinical lecturer at the University of Birmingham, said: "This research is crucial, particularly in older people, as immune responses to vaccination deteriorate with age."

11 hours ago, RussG said:

Can't wait to never see Deepti Gurdasani ever again.

• Like 1

I'm a cynic, so I believe the rumour of 'nothing is ruled out' from Boris is nothing but the government countering the 'let the bodies pile high' comment from last week.

I hate politics; I might be wrong but I think there are many vulnerable people, sitting at home, watching too much TV, and worrying about this sort of stuff just so politicians score a few kudos points with a certain group of voters.

These sort of comments from the PM are disrespectful and damaging. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Pubs, clubs and indoors can be opened up again from Monday.

Which is great news, because standing outside watching football is still not allowed.

So now we can all pile in the clubhouse and watch it on the TV with a pint. It would only be dangerous if we opened the patio doors and watched it for real. But inside, on a TV, 50 metres from where the game is actually happening, that’s now legit..

don't forget that it's lethal today; the virus is doing overtime this weekend and taking time off from Monday. 

19 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Burnham again talking sense IMO

Not really, the last time they didn't work in his region was because he delayed in locking down by a week. Merseyside who did lockdown with almost the same rates a week earlier than Manchester, came out of lockdown many weeks before Manchester.

He himself was a major factor in the Manchester lockdown not working

Just now, bickster said:

Not really, the last time they didn't work in his region was because he delayed in locking down by a week. Merseyside who did lockdown with almost the same rates a week earlier than Manchester, came out of lockdown many weeks before Manchester.

I've seen you make this argument before, and I just don't believe that there's any way to say with that anything like the confidence you say it. There can be literally dozens of explanations that have nothing to do with him, and there is no way for you or I to disaggregate them.

What we know is that local lockdowns failed, in numerous parts of the country, and are hugely harmful as a policy (they are complete barrier to 'a return to normal').

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Wasn't his argument not that Manchester region shouldn't lock down, but more that the Gov't needed to provide the resources/money to support all the people impacted if it wanted it locked down, and they weren't doing that?

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Wasn't his argument not that Manchester region shouldn't lock down, but more that the Gov't needed to provide the resources/money to support all the people impacted if it wanted it locked down, and they weren't doing that?

Yes it was but it still delayed the lockdown by a week

Â