Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

That midnight pub in Coventry is being investigated. What a suprise. 

Aren't the rules supposed to be that you sit at a table and buy a substantial meal? 

I wouldn't like to jump to conclusions so I'm absolutely certain Coventry area social media will not be awash with loads of people standing around without any plates of food in evidence 😁

I don’t think you need a meal, but it must be table service I believe.

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

You suggested that I could wait a few hours and go shopping with my mates when the risks of transmission indoors are far, far greater than outdoors even if people are stood close together outside in a queue.

Just because Primark is open doesn't mean it's sensible to go (not that it ever was or will be in this case) if that's your 

Thats why you do social distancing and masks indoors

1 hour ago, brommy said:

There’s one for the things I don’t get thread! I’ll never understand why a group of people, typically under 35 to 40 in my experience, spend much of their time on their phones ignoring the friends they are physically with, presumably social media posting/messaging others who aren’t there. This was highlighted to me when out with friends a couple of years ago in a busy bar in Birmingham city centre. My wife noticed some women in their mid/late twenties all stood in an obvious group. 8 women were staring down at their phones or taking photos of their drink, whilst the 9th woman looked bored with no one to talk to. Why not focus on who you are with at that moment and save the chat with others until you’re more available or actually see them? You’ll also have something to talk about instead of hearing “I know mate, you told me that last night when you were out with your other mates”. I appreciate this makes me sound ancient!

Social anxiety. Nerves. That's all it is. Something for the fingers to fiddle with to burn some nervous energy. If it wasn't a phone it'd be a cigarette every 10 mins.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t think you need a meal, but it must be table service I believe.

That’s also my understanding. Scotch egg/meal no longer required but maximum of 6 people in one or two households that are socially distanced from others with table service only.

I personally don’t have an issue with those drinking outside overnight in the cold, but given some very close proximity, I wouldn’t be sure the ‘much lower’ transmission risk outside was as accurate as studies, that may not have considered such closeness, suggested.

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I think

From my own sphere and viewpoint of the world, going to the pub at midnight in freezing temperatures is madness.

Other spheres and viewpoints are available and other people have them. 

As long as it's allowed in the rules our unfortunately elected government have set then I have no right to criticise anyone else's choices.

I suspect that most people there aren't just off a shift or have no other time to go and I suspect that most of them are doing it to post it on Facebook or kind of virtue signal of crazy they are.

But some might not be. Some will be so desperate for social contact with good friends they'll go ASAP. For some, midnight will be like 8pm to others. If wrapped up warm it's just like going out in winter where you'll have to sit in a beer garden.

To judge people's choices by your own situation and values is pretty much the perfect definition of bigotry.

I disagree. My viewpoint is the correct one and also anyone who droves 5mph slower than me is an arsehole and anyone who drives 5mph faster is a word removed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I disagree. My viewpoint is the correct one and also anyone who droves 5mph slower than me is an arsehole and anyone who drives 5mph faster is a word removed.

looking good family guy GIF

It's like reading a mirror! 

When I was in my 20’s I’d often go out late on a Sunday night, most often getting bolloxed of my face on Es in a club, followed by an after party, and not get home until lunch time on Monday. Sometimes even getting dropped off at work still tripping. 

Now I’m an old man, the last thing I want to do is be out queuing for a pint at midnight. But young me would have been there. It’s easy to forget people are at different stages of their lives, we were all mental once, some still are. Good for them, as long as they’re not endangering anyone else. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Social anxiety. Nerves. That's all it is. Something for the fingers to fiddle with to burn some nervous energy. If it wasn't a phone it'd be a cigarette every 10 mins.

It’s a point but if I suffered from social anxiety/nerves I wouldn’t be out with a group I felt the need to be using a phone as a semi-permanent comfort blanket around. It also leaves me wondering what’s causing this extensive social anxiety. It wasn’t so apparent 10 years or more ago when merely having a drink to hold seemed sufficient. 

It has just been announced that over half of the Liverpool City Region's population has now been vaccinated. That is Liverpool / Sefton / Wirral / Knowsley / Halton (Runcorn and Widnes) / St Helens.

774,000 people out of a total population of 1.5 million

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

When I was in my 20’s I’d often go out late on a Sunday night, most often getting bolloxed of my face on Es in a club, followed by an after party, and not get home until lunch time on Monday. Sometimes even getting dropped off at work still tripping. 

Now I’m an old man, the last thing I want to do is be out queuing for a pint at midnight. But young me would have been there. It’s easy to forget people are at different stages of their lives, we were all mental once, some still are. Good for them, as long as they’re not endangering anyone else. 

Agreed. Old words removed will look and say, my god these kids with their vines and mp3’s. How dare they want to have fun in a way that absolutely will not effect (or affect) me or disturb my day. The pathetic losers. I wouldn’t do it.  If I was 25 and just coming off lates at Lyreco and someone said Spoons is opening up at midnight, do you fancy a pint. Hell **** yes I would. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

It has just been announced that over half of the Liverpool City Region's population has now been vaccinated. That is Liverpool / Sefton / Wirral / Knowsley / Halton (Runcorn and Widnes) / St Helens.

774,000 people out of a total population of 1.5 million

Something to commemorate. Without armbands!

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Reminds me of this classic

Screenshot_20210412-135032_compress92.jpg

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I fully agree. I’m sure most would too provided the social distancing was reasonably maintained which I assume was the main issue on this thread for the last few hours.

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

If I was 25 and just coming off lates at Lyreco and someone said Spoons is opening up at midnight, do you fancy a pint. Hell **** yes I would. 

... if they went somewhere else

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, markavfc40 said:

I think the young are owed a huge debt of gratitude but I suspect they won't be getting it as they have arguably made the greatest sacrifices for others in the main as they are the least affected in terms of getting ill from covid. 

I agree, but unfortunately they are usually sneered at and called pathetic and selfish.

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I have young lad, think he is 21, at my work place who I asked to do some work related tasks for me this week and it transpired he was taking Monday and Tuesday off. First thing I thought was I bet he is taking the time off as the pubs are reopening and I was right as he was meeting up with his mates. 

He has pretty much lost a year of his life in terms of socializing and when I think to when I was his age in terms of going out the weekend started on a Thursday night and didn't end until the early hours of Monday morning. I get that him and many others like him will have been desperate to meet up with their mates in a social environment like the pub.

I think the young are owed a huge debt of gratitude but I suspect they won't be getting it as they have arguably made the greatest sacrifices for others in the main as they are the least affected in terms of getting ill from covid. 

Fully agree, it’s been a shit year for everyone but to have been anything between the ages of 14-25 will have been awful, those are major formative years that they’ll never get back.

• Like 2

Â