Generic Virus Thread

villakram

18 minutes ago, sidcow said:

With the AstraZeneca situation I can see them using Moderna and the other one thats coming in June on the younger population. At least until they can prove or disprove any link. 

Trouble is, they only ordered 17 Million doses

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Just saw a classic on FB: "Coronavirus has a 99% survival rate, so it's not worth having the vaccine - sure, it's supposed to be safe, but I don't want to risk being the one in a million that gets a bad reaction". 

You do the math(s). 

Whenever you think that nobody can be this stupid, remember that the A&W chain in America had to withdraw the third pounder burger because because people thought it was smaller than a quarter pounder.

People are morons.

• Like 1

Just been back to my office to clear my desk for the cohorts of people who are starting to go in from Monday.

Was bizarre.  I remember walking out of there thinking it would be a few weeks, couple of months max.  Other than a trip back to pick up my chair last April it's the first time I've been in since last March, a whole year basically.

I had to ask if they had installed workstations already (our other Brum office had to vacate their place and moved in a couple of months ago) as I didn't remember such long banks of VDU's.  They hadn't, just my memory playing tricks.

The number of cars parked and people on the streets between today and last April was like night and day.

Saw a couple of other colleagues who were also clearing up their desks, was so nice to have a quick face to face catch up.

It's going to be so weird when were actually going back properly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Just saw a classic on FB: "Coronavirus has a 99% survival rate, so it's not worth having the vaccine - sure, it's supposed to be safe, but I don't want to risk being the one in a million that gets a bad reaction". 

You do the math(s). 

I hope you have pointed out the error of their ways.

Edited by sidcow

7 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Just been back to my office to clear my desk for the cohorts of people who are starting to go in from Monday.

Was bizarre.  I remember walking out of there thinking it would be a few weeks, couple of months max.  Other than a trip back to pick up my chair last April it's the first time I've been in since last March, a whole year basically.

When we left last March, I took all of the office plants, thinking same as you, it'd be a few weeks. It's like a **** rainforest in my house, and instead of thanks I bet people won't let me forget the one my cat ate. 

• Haha 4

Under 30's to be offered an alternative to AstraZeneca jab in the UK as their risk factor to Covid makes the balance of risk more even.

They're going to need to push forward that  Novavax I reckon because there isn't going to be enough Pfizer and Moderna available before July to meet their needs I would say.  Novavax was only supposed to come on stream in June which isn't going to leave it much time to help meet the July target for the young uns.

26 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Under 30's to be offered an alternative to AstraZeneca jab in the UK as their risk factor to Covid makes the balance of risk more even.

...and given the EMA has said that it's still fine for all age groups, I'm looking forward to the angry throbbers in the media and online shouting about how the UK are "doing down" the AZ vaccine and promoting vaccine hesitancy, just like they did when the positions were reversed. 

I'm sure that will definitely, definitely happen. 

• Like 4

On 18/03/2021 at 17:32, sidcow said:

There is nothing "predictable" They are not towing the line or making up stuff to get a dangerous vaccine through.  

The WHO and the EMA and MHRA say it's safe.

There are actually more issues with Pfizer but both are massively more safe than exposing the world to Corona. It's up to nations to do the right thing and stop exposing their citizens to unnecessary and avoidable deaths.

Your attitude to this vaccine is the living embodiment of the damage European Governments have caused

Well that aged well 😂😂😂

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well that aged well 😂😂😂

I don't understand your point?

Many many more European citizens have now died than would have if they had continued administering AZ and many more will die because of refusing to take it.

426 deaths in France yesterday alone.  We had 45.  How many people died of Clots yesterday?

Without any shadow of any doubt thousands of people will die in Europe from their handling of the AZ vaccine.

1 in 2.5m die of blood clots, 1 in 100,000 die of Coronavirus.

I find it rather sad you find it worthy of 3 laughing so much you cry icons.  Have a word with yourself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

...and given the EMA has said that it's still fine for all age groups, I'm looking forward to the angry throbbers in the media and online shouting about how the UK are "doing down" the AZ vaccine and promoting vaccine hesitancy, just like they did when the positions were reversed. 

I'm sure that will definitely, definitely happen. 

Yeah, it's so annoying. People are acting like the choice is "vaccine and blood clot risk" vs "no vaccine" when in truth as long as there are alternative vaccines why give the at-risk group the AZ one? They are literally advocating killing people (because it does seem there is a link, however tiny the risk, and that some people are dying from it).

If there was no alternative vaccine then yes, push the AZ one to the affected demographic, but we do have alternatives so we can do some risk mitigation for basically no effort.

11 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah, it's so annoying. People are acting like the choice is "vaccine and blood clot risk" vs "no vaccine" when in truth as long as there are alternative vaccines why give the at-risk group the AZ one? They are literally advocating killing people (because it does seem there is a link, however tiny the risk, and that some people are dying from it).

If there was no alternative vaccine then yes, push the AZ one to the affected demographic, but we do have alternatives so we can do some risk mitigation for basically no effort.

There is no supply of the alternatives though, or at least not enough to prevent more deaths than the clots ever will.   By not giving it you are deliberately killing MORE people than by giving it.

Agree completely if you can give AZ or another in equal numbers with no delay then yes, give the alternative.  But in Europe there is a third wave pummelling through them because there are not enough alternatives.  A couple of days ago France had 66,000 new cases, their average weekly cases is 37,000 and growing every day.  Their deaths WILL be over 1,000 a day in a week or 2 compared to our probably single figures or early teens by then.

The reason for that is because they haven't had enough vaccinations to suppress the virus and prevent spread or to save people who catch it.  We have. 

Edited by sidcow

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Well, I'm looking forward to my second dose of Astra Zenica now.

Do you buy a lottery ticket thinking you are really likely to win it?

• Like 1

Â