Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, a-k said:

Because the virus can still enter your system and then be transmitted onwards even if vaccinated? The vaccine does not give "100% immunity" nor has it ever been claimed to---no vaccine is ever 100% effective. It gives your body knowledge of the virus so that if/when it enters your system, your body already has a defence system for it and can ward off the virus before it spreads and can do any major damage. The vaccine is not some sort of repellent that the virus can "smell" so it knows who it can or cannot infect. Being vaccinated does not mean the virus does not enter your system, and just because your body is more prepared for fighting the virus doesn't mean you can't transmit it.

It's really not rocket science. Having a vaccine is not just to protect you, but the entire community. It's been well known from well before covid that for a vaccination program to be effective enough to essentially eliminate a virus from a population, at minimum an overwhelming majority of the population need to be vaccinated. So yes, testing vaccinated people until enough of the population have been vaccinated is not an outrageous idea or a restriction of personal freedom, it's simply protecting those who have not yet been able to receive the vaccine, and I don't mean those who reject the vaccine, I mean those like myself who are way down the pecking order in terms of priority for the vaccine.

Well, exactly. 

Viruses are here to stay. We have to live with it and not put the absurd restrictions because of awful perception of risk. 

Why lockdown the population and force vaccinated people to test (at their own cost) to now protect younger people, when the virus is not deadly to them. 

We may as well lock down forever because every virus, bacteria, car accident, plane crash etc etc can kill if if we're unlucky. 

If we force vaccinated people to shield and pay for tests to travel then the cure is officially past the "being worse worse the virus" stage. 

Edited by StefanAVFC

Double post, but I'm honestly impressed at the way this government have both managed to be inappropriately light-handed and inappropriately heavy handed across the same pandemic. 

2 hours ago, a-k said:

Because the virus can still enter your system and then be transmitted onwards even if vaccinated? The vaccine does not give "100% immunity" nor has it ever been claimed to---no vaccine is ever 100% effective. It gives your body knowledge of the virus so that if/when it enters your system, your body already has a defence system for it and can ward off the virus before it spreads and can do any major damage. The vaccine is not some sort of repellent that the virus can "smell" so it knows who it can or cannot infect. Being vaccinated does not mean the virus does not enter your system, and just because your body is more prepared for fighting the virus doesn't mean you can't transmit it.

It's really not rocket science. Having a vaccine is not just to protect you, but the entire community. It's been well known from well before covid that for a vaccination program to be effective enough to essentially eliminate a virus from a population, at minimum an overwhelming majority of the population need to be vaccinated. So yes, testing vaccinated people until enough of the population have been vaccinated is not an outrageous idea or a restriction of personal freedom, it's simply protecting those who have not yet been able to receive the vaccine, and I don't mean those who reject the vaccine, I mean those like myself who are way down the pecking order in terms of priority for the vaccine.

The virus will probably be here forever. The 'at risk' population in the UK have more or less been vaccinated now, or will have in a few weeks. The risk for under 40's is minute. The average age of covid victims (on the latest figures I could find) in the uk was over 80yo. Pretty much the life expectancy of an average person in the UK.

I agreed with initial lockdowns and think the vaccine rollout has been great. I have my first jab tomorrow, and i'm 41. We are now reaching the age groups where the virus has no huge impact or risk on. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Genie said:

I guess 30-50 like myself might have a big of a wait.

This is not an age bracket that I want to be a part of!

11 hours ago, a-k said:

This is a bit contradictory isn’t it? You’re saying that getting vaccinated doesn’t prevent transmission (I’m not even sure this is true - at least to the point that the vaccine “works” on somebody) but then that people get vaccinated to protect the community.

Reaction (or Peer Review) to the Scottish Study finding that vaccinated Health Care Workers transmit less Covid than those not vaccinated

“This study, however, is the first one that I have seen that shows direct evidence that vaccination can reduce transmission.

“Healthcare workers (HCWs) are at increased risk of Covid-19 infection – although, being of working age (“18-65 years of age”), they are largely at relatively low risk of serious disease. Many, if infected, will have asymptomatic infection; and they will transmit the infection to their household contacts. Of course, there are other potential sources of infection for HCWs’ household contacts, so even if the HCW in the household were unable to transmit the infection, there would still be some cases in the household. Nevertheless, a previous study (discussed in this paper) showed that household members of HCWs were at double the risk of Covid-19 infection compared to the general population.

“This study shows a reduction in Covid-19 infection rates in the household contacts of HCWs who have been vaccinated (compared to household contacts of HCWs who have not been vaccinated). As the press release says: “Where healthcare workers had received a second dose of the vaccine at least 14 days before, their household members had a rate of Covid-19 which was at least 54% lower than household members where healthcare workers had not been vaccinated.”

“This reinforces our hopes that vaccination will be able to reduce the effective R number (Rt), and thus to reduce transmission. Whether vaccination alone will be sufficient – eventually, when enough people have been vaccinated – to bring Rt below one, and keep it there – so we achieve “population-” or “herd immunity” is not yet clear; but the findings of this study give us increased hope that it might.”

Science Media Centre

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Well, exactly. 

Viruses are here to stay. We have to live with it and not put the absurd restrictions because of awful perception of risk. 

Why lockdown the population and force vaccinated people to test (at their own cost) to now protect younger people, when the virus is not deadly to them. 

We may as well lock down forever because every virus, bacteria, car accident, plane crash etc etc can kill if if we're unlucky. 

If we force vaccinated people to shield and pay for tests to travel then the cure is officially past the "being worse worse the virus" stage. 

10 hours ago, Xela said:

The virus will probably be here forever. The 'at risk' population in the UK have more or less been vaccinated now, or will have in a few weeks. The risk for under 40's is minute. The average age of covid victims (on the latest figures I could find) in the uk was over 80yo. Pretty much the life expectancy of an average person in the UK.

I agreed with initial lockdowns and think the vaccine rollout has been great. I have my first jab tomorrow, and i'm 41. We are now reaching the age groups where the virus has no huge impact or risk on. 

Because it's not just about people dying? About 1 in 7 people in the UK who tested positive are struggling with long-term symptoms, with a significant amount being "younger" people.

You can also check the data from the Brazil variant, which is currently ravaging young people there and can easily get into places with open borders.

• Like 1

As I said before, by your logic, we will have restrictions, lockdowns, tests etc forever, because viruses will always mutate. And people will apparently be fine with that. Sleepwalking into authoritarianism. 

The flu does the same thing.

14 hours ago, Genie said:

I guess 30-50 like myself might have a big of a wait.

Under 30’s will be getting the non-AZ stocks. The existing AZ I assume will be used on 2nd doses. 

I'm in that bracket and I had my first one a couple of weeks back - round by me it seems most of the over 40's have now had their first one and are scheduled in for their second one. I'm not sure where you are geographically, or in that age band, but if you're at the top end I'm actually a bit surprised that you haven't had it yet.

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm in that bracket and I had my first one a couple of weeks back - round by me it seems most of the over 40's have now had their first one and are scheduled in for their second one. I'm not sure where you are geographically, or in that age band, but if you're at the top end I'm actually a bit surprised that you haven't had it yet.

In Solihull (full of old people) they are still doing the over 50’s, and aren’t close to starting the under 50’s 😕

18 minutes ago, ender4 said:

In Solihull (full of old people) they are still doing the over 50’s, and aren’t close to starting the under 50’s 😕

I'm a little shocked at that - in Walsall, it's been people in their 40's for weeks, the under 30's are imminent here. I thought the over 50's were finished nationally in March?

2 hours ago, a-k said:

Because it's not just about people dying? About 1 in 7 people in the UK who tested positive are struggling with long-term symptoms, with a significant amount being "younger" people.

You can also check the data from the Brazil variant, which is currently ravaging young people there and can easily get into places with open borders.

Yes my mate is 27 and can still barely get up the stairs.  It definitely changed my attitude a fair bit towards how dangerous it can be to younger people.  On paper their plans for travel sound ok but only if they can bring down the prices for the tests.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I’m 39, I must be close to getting called. I know people mid thirties around here who have had theirs.

• Like 1

Five Norwegian PL clubs aren’t allowed to train because the county they are based in has an outright ban on all organised sports, indoors and outdoors, with no exceptions, until April 25th. The league is due to start May 8th, after an initial one month postponement, but even that is now in jeopardy.

It would be easier to live with restrictions if they only made some f***ing sense most of the time. 

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm a little shocked at that - in Walsall, it's been people in their 40's for weeks, the under 30's are imminent here. I thought the over 50's were finished nationally in March?

Gawd no, I was only done on April 1st aged 56

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Zen said:

Five Norwegian PL clubs aren’t allowed to train because the county they are based in has an outright ban on all organised sports, indoors and outdoors, with no exceptions, until April 25th. The league is due to start May 8th, after an initial one month postponement, but even that is now in jeopardy.

It would be easier to live with restrictions if they only made some f***ing sense most of the time. 

Welsh top division is playing again, all divisions below have been cancelled for this season. But here’s the fun part... the FAW haven’t yet decided if there will be promotion and relegation!

There’s a part of me would love them to say there will still be promotion and relegation. Just to see how the merry **** that would pan out.

They really are piling through the second doses right now. 

Press do keep reporting that reduction in cases is tailing off but everytime I look they are always down on the same day the week before. 

Â