Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Question, when is a pub a nightclub? Is it a specific license? Is it the hours of opening? 

Similarly can eg The Flapper re-open on 17th May but just not hold gigs? 

I wonder if Broad Street for example will see a lot of venues opening just as pubs from May. 

If I owned a club I would be doing everything I could to try and open as a pub in May. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bickster said:

There are other ways of doing this other that a Vaccine passport. See Barcelona’s experiment only the other day for one example

This is impossible, even the vaccine passport will not do that. The Barcelona model actually stands a bigger chance of that

What's the Barcelona model? Did a quick Google and couldn't find it.

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Question, when is a pub a nightclub? Is it a specific license? Is it the hours of opening? 

I wonder if Broad Street for example will see a lot of venues opening just as pubs from May. 

If I owned a club I would be doing everything I could to try and open as a pub in May. 

Yeah I’ve been wondering about this. The actress and bishop near the JQ is an example which I would consider as a pub but also has certain traits which could make it a night club.

It’s another grey area that makes me think the whole thing is a non starter.

54 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is a downfall of the debate, you have this set idea of what a "gig" is. The absolute vast majority of gigs in this country take place in smaller venues, the back rooms of pubs, maybe even small purpose built venues. There will be more people in a supermarket in the middle of the afternoon, often there will be more people in the pub itself at the weekend.

Im guessing their logic is that alcohol is served and drank at these events as opposed to popping into aldi.

But what your saying is corrw t you will see more people in a supermarket than a gig by dappy

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

OK, I give in.  There is no reason why going to a pop concert is more dangerous than going to Lidl. 

If you want to ask them why they are doing this madness you can apply here. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ask-the-government-a-question

To be clear, I'm not saying that a trip to Lidl is a higher-risk environment for transmission than a stereotypical pop concert, because I think it obviously isn't. You are confusing me with other people in the thread.

My comment has nothing to do with that; I'm simply disputing the idea that we can't or shouldn't question decisions from public health officials (or should only question them via a question entered on a .gov webform) if we have reason to think they are bad or suboptimal decisions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I suspect their licence will state what the venue is classified as. I assume temporary reclassification as a pub would require the club to prove they will only operate under the COVID regulations pubs and restaurants face, including all customers remaining seated, except for entering/exiting/toilet visits when masks must be worn and effective distancing of customer’s tables. That effectively turns a club in to a pub but I also assume the licence change would be bureaucratic and possibly costly. Lots of guesswork on my behalf though!

2 minutes ago, brommy said:

I suspect their licence will state what the venue is classified as. I assume temporary reclassification as a pub would require the club to prove they will only operate under the COVID regulations pubs and restaurants face, including all customers remaining seated, except for entering/exiting/toilet visits when masks must be worn and effective distancing of customer’s tables. That effectively turns a club in to a pub but I also assume the licence change would be bureaucratic and possibly costly. Lots of guesswork on my behalf though!

Unless this has changed since my time (which is quite possible). There are three main types of Licence

• A liquor Licence to sell to the general public which will state the opening times and restrictions relevant to the premises
  • A Private Members Club Licence (much rarer now in the times of expanded opening hours)
  • A Public Entertainments Licence
  • You could add into the mix a PRS Licence but I can't see its use being very useful here.

There is no specific licence that distinguishes between a Pub or a Club even the PEL isn't required if there are less than two performers in the "act", which is why solo / duo artists in pubs always recieved more money as they negated the need for a PEL, they were in higher demand

• Like 2

AZ likely to also be banned for use in younger adults in the UK. I get that our situation required urgent vaccinations, but why did no one at our end double check the data like the U.S and Scandinavian countries have before actually believing in it?

Time to get AZ to produce Pfizer..

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Unless this has changed since my time (which is quite possible). There are three main types of Licence

• A liquor Licence to sell to the general public which will state the opening times and restrictions relevant to the premises
  • A Private Members Club Licence (much rarer now in the times of expanded opening hours)
  • A Public Entertainments Licence
  • You could add into the mix a PRS Licence but I can't see its use being very useful here.

There is no specific licence that distinguishes between a Pub or a Club even the PEL isn't required if there are less than two performers in the "act", which is why solo / duo artists in pubs always recieved more money as they negated the need for a PEL, they were in higher demand

I assume some clubs will try to open as pubs although I’m not sure how many people will want to sit at a table in an obvious club environment with little natural looking light and no music.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Im guessing their logic is that alcohol is served and drank at these events as opposed to popping into aldi.

But what your saying is corrw t you will see more people in a supermarket than a gig by dappy

Eh?

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

What is a bigger question is what's the difference between these events and pubs opening on 17th May.  There are going to be lots of drunk people packed in shoulder to shoulder then. I don't see that's any better than concerts (gigs) etc yet that's not included. 

That makes no sense to me. 

Is a crowded room inside The Sun on The Hill any different to a crowded room in a nightclub? 

This is pretty much the point some of us have been making all along (or part of it at least)

There's a venue in Liverpool called Jacaranda Phase One. It's open in the daytime as a bar / cafe / record shop. In the evening it puts on gigs. Similar size to the Flapper (for reference as you mentioned it). When does that premises have to start and stop going all Vaccine Passport?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is pretty much the point some of us have been making all along (or part of it at least)

There's a venue in Liverpool called Jacaranda Phase One. It's open in the daytime as a bar / cafe / record shop. In the evening it puts on gigs. Similar size to the Flapper (for reference as you mentioned it). When does that premises have to start and stop going all Vaccine Passport?

'Zackly - the Deaf Institute has a bar on the middle floor, a gig venue on the top floor and a nightclub bit on the lower floor - they could let the people in to the bar, but the people can't go upstairs or downstairs? I mean that's daft. Ditto Gorilla with a bar next to the gig hall - there's loads of small places like that all over the country- venues that survive by being multiple things - The Hare & hounds is another one - pub and venue. The Ritz....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

'Zackly - the Deaf Institute has a bar on the middle floor, a gig venue on the top floor and a nightclub bit on the lower floor - they could let the people in to the bar, but the people can't go upstairs or downstairs? I mean that's daft. Ditto Gorilla with a bar next to the gig hall - there's loads of small places like that all over the country- venues that survive by being multiple things - The Hare & hounds is another one - pub and venue. The Ritz....

Yep, I'd say the absolute majority of regular small / medium gig venues fall into this category. I just picked one locally, there are plenty more locally too

• Like 1

23 hours ago, maqroll said:

Are most Villatalkers still waiting to get their jabs?

I’m at the very back of the line in a country that is taking its precious time with this thing, so yeah, I’m still waiting and will be waiting a good while yet. 

• Like 1

Big tech companies are reigning in their bold work from home statements. 

I think a lot of companies will follow and the enormous changes to work that was predicted will be a lot less than people think.  I think things will be reigned in more as time passes too. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56614285

Remote working: Is Big Tech going off work from home?

On Wednesday last week, Google's Fiona Cicconi wrote to company employees.

She announced that Google was bringing forward its timetable of moving people back into the office.

As of 1 September, she said, employees wishing to work from home for more than 14 days would have to apply to do so.

Employees were also expected to "live within commuting distance" of offices. No cocktails by the beach with a laptop, then.

The intention was very clear. Sure, you can do more flexible working than you did before - but most people will still have to come into the office.

That thinking seemed to fly in the face of much of what we heard from Silicon Valley executives last year, when they championed the virtues of remote working.

For example, Twitter's Jack Dorsey made headlines across the world last May, when he said "Twitter employees can now work from home forever".

It was speculated that after Covid, the "new normal" for Silicon Valley might be a workforce heavily geared around remote working, with tech companies needing only minimal staff on-site.

It's increasingly looking like that's not  going to happen.

And if you really look at the statements made by tech bosses, some of the nuances were skirted over by the press.

For example, when Mr Dorsey said employees could work at home "forever", he added, " if our employees are in a role and situation that enables them to work from home."

That was a pretty important "if".

And in fact, Twitter has clarified that it expects a majority of its staff to spend some time working from home and some time in the office.

Pretty much every Silicon Valley tech firm has said that it is now committed to "flexible" or "hybrid" working.

The problem is those terms can mean almost anything.

Is that Fridays off? Or a completely different working relationship with a brick-and-mortar office?

Microsoft envisages "'working from home part of the time (less than 50%) as standard for most roles" in the future.

There is a lot of room for manoeuvre in the words "less than 50%".

Edited by sidcow

That’s my fear @sidcow, as soon as things go back to normal, it’ll be easy for organisations to just go back to how things were. All talk of the great benefits might just slip into distant memory as the corporate hamsters get back on their wheels. 

I hope not, but I can see it happening. 

• Like 1

Â