Generic Virus Thread

villakram

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I wasn't talking about the last few days, the whole of April is going to be a lot lower than they were hoping because of 5m of doses which were due to arrive from India late March which India instead kept for themselves and there was something else about a batch that was being re-checked.  There was due to be an unplanned slowdown all through April which is why they are doing such small numbers of first doses and had stopped calling under 50's till May.  Without that they would currently be steaming through first shots on the 40-50 age group.

I did read about the likely lack of doses available in April which is why I was pleasantly surprised just over half a million does were injected yesterday and, as there wasn’t a report of millions of doses arriving on Tuesday, I assume the earlier 4 day slowdown was due to the Easter weekend, not lack of dose availability. Even with April’s 2 bank holidays, it will be interesting to see how much the rate drops off from March’s average of around 450k doses per day.

Restart of foreign travel looks like the next thing for the government to make a pigs ear of.

If they don’t want to allow it then be clear and get it out there early. Push the 17th May date back.

If they want to allow it then cascade the criteria now so that businesses and people know what they need to do.

What will happen will be a half arsed, incomplete “maybe” dribble of half a plan that’s no good to anybody.

• Like 2

On 18/03/2021 at 20:53, El Zen said:

Our PM, Erna Solberg (C), has had to publicly apologise for having 13 guests (mostly family members) at a private dinner three weeks ago. Not a good look, as Norway is heading into its worst stage yet of the whole wretched pandemic thing. 

She has, humiliatingly, been fined £2000. Interestingly, the police have decided to let her husband off with a warning. They have explicitly stated her position as the reason why she has been fined and not her husband. The legality of this is under debate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Restart of foreign travel looks like the next thing for the government to make a pigs ear of.

If they don’t want to allow it then be clear and get it out there early. Push the 17th May date back.

If they want to allow it then cascade the criteria now so that businesses and people know what they need to do.

What will happen will be a half arsed, incomplete “maybe” dribble of half a plan that’s no good to anybody.

“X is greenlisted which means we consider it incredibly low risk. You’re still going to need to pay for 2 £100+ PCR tests though. Going back to school or work? Great! Here take a 50p lateral flow test or just toss a coin.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

“X is greenlisted which means we consider it incredibly low risk. You’re still going to need to pay for 2 £100+ PCR tests though. Going back to school or work? Great! Here take a 50p lateral flow test or just toss a coin.”

Each way. So family of 4 is 4x £120 on the way out, and 4x £120 when you get back, and that’s for green light countries. 
They should just say it’s too soon and be done with it.

This current “plan” means yes you can go, but you probably can’t afford to so travel industry is shafted.

Push it back another month and see if it can sensibly be restarted then.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

This current “plan” means yes you can go, but you probably can’t afford to so travel industry is shafted.

Or, mirroring everything else about COVID, you're fine if you've got money.

• Like 1

"We've vaccinated half of our population, including 95%+ of at risk people. But **** your normality, wanna go somewhere else? That'll be more insane hoops to jump through"

Madness there aren't riots yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, a m ole said:

What is the point of the PCR test for foreign travel after we’re vaccinated?

Aside from gathering valuable data of course.

I don’t think vaccinated and immune are the same thing.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, a m ole said:

What is the point of the PCR test for foreign travel after we’re vaccinated?

Aside from gathering valuable data of course.

Possibly to show that you haven't picked up a variant immune to the vaccines? Assuming the tests can properly pick up the new variants of course. 

Either way, if you test positive then you must assume you are a risk to others and should self-isolate.  

Edited by trekka

Mandatory tests even after being vaccinated is legit hilarious. 

We're never getting back to normal if people agreeing to such ridiculous restrictions on personal freedoms 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Mandatory tests even after being vaccinated is legit hilarious. 

We're never getting back to normal if people agreeing to such ridiculous restrictions on personal freedoms 

Exactly. What is the point of vaccinations if we are still going to be tested to go anywhere and everywhere. That idea can GTFO. 

• Like 1

What's kind of weird is that they are currently giving second jabs to way more people than were getting their first jabs 12 weeks ago.  That suggests they're going to second jab quicker therefore reduce the gap between first and second to less than 12 weeks.  

I thought they had established that the 12 week gap was actually better? 

Strikes me they would be better served getting more first timers done? 

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What's kind of weird is that they are currently giving second jabs to way more people than were getting their first jabs 12 weeks ago.  That suggests they're going to second jab quicker therefore reduce the gap between first and second to less than 12 weeks.  

I thought they had established that the 12 week gap was actually better? 

Strikes me they would be better served getting more first timers done? 

I think they are possibly worried they might run out of vaccine for 2nd’s if they keep doing 1st’s. 

Just now, Genie said:

I think they are possibly worried they might run out of vaccine for 2nd’s if they keep doing 1st’s. 

Yeah I get that but all they need to to is to ensure they have the stocks in storage, don't need to actually use the.

Actually I've been thinking they may be bringing forward second jabs to clear the decks for an all out assault on firsties when the supply increases. They might want to get to late June/July and get to doing 800,000 + a day of new jabs without second jabs getting in the way. 

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Exactly. What is the point of vaccinations if we are still going to be tested to go anywhere and everywhere. That idea can GTFO. 

Because the virus can still enter your system and then be transmitted onwards even if vaccinated? The vaccine does not give "100% immunity" nor has it ever been claimed to---no vaccine is ever 100% effective. It gives your body knowledge of the virus so that if/when it enters your system, your body already has a defence system for it and can ward off the virus before it spreads and can do any major damage. The vaccine is not some sort of repellent that the virus can "smell" so it knows who it can or cannot infect. Being vaccinated does not mean the virus does not enter your system, and just because your body is more prepared for fighting the virus doesn't mean you can't transmit it.

It's really not rocket science. Having a vaccine is not just to protect you, but the entire community. It's been well known from well before covid that for a vaccination program to be effective enough to essentially eliminate a virus from a population, at minimum an overwhelming majority of the population need to be vaccinated. So yes, testing vaccinated people until enough of the population have been vaccinated is not an outrageous idea or a restriction of personal freedom, it's simply protecting those who have not yet been able to receive the vaccine, and I don't mean those who reject the vaccine, I mean those like myself who are way down the pecking order in terms of priority for the vaccine.

• Like 1

Â