Generic Virus Thread

villakram

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-oxford-jab-more-effective-when-doses-are-delivered-three-months-apart-study-finds-12222938

COVID-19: Oxford jab more effective when doses are delivered three months apart, study finds

The study supports the government's strategy that rolling out first doses - with a second dose after three months - is effective.

With three months between the first and second dose there was an overall efficacy of 81%, compared to 55% for a six-week interval.

The report supports the government's strategy that rolling out first doses - with a second dose after three months - is effective at reducing disease.

• Like 1

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-pfizer-vaccine-is-up-to-85-effective-after-first-dose-new-israeli-study-finds-12222164

COVID-19: New study reveals how effective Pfizer's vaccine is after the first dose

The study found that all infections, including asymptomatic, were reduced by 75% after the first dose

The latest study will be seen as a boost to the UK government's decision to delay the second vaccine dose well beyond the manufacturer's recommendation of three weeks

Professor Leshem said he likes more cautious statements, but added: "I would say there is some evidence to support the decision to postpone the second dose, because, on one hand, we seem to have very good effectiveness of the first dose: early and high effectiveness.

"And on the other hand, postponing the second dose will allow much higher coverage... given the limited vaccine supply

• Like 1

My 23 year old son got a call yesterday to go for his jab today. 

No underlying health conditions. He suffers with moderate/severe MH depression, but nothing physical. 

Seems a bit random?! 

14 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've read this article, in a few different forms, and it confuses me...

What it seems to suggest is get Jab 1 and you get 76% protection that doesn't drop for three months.

Get Jab 2 after 12 weeks and you increase your protection by about 5% (there's a question of value in that for another time)

But get Jab 2 after 6 weeks and your protection DROPS to 55%. How does that work?!

4 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I've read this article, in a few different forms, and it confuses me...

What it seems to suggest is get Jab 1 and you get 76% protection that doesn't drop for three months.

Get Jab 2 after 12 weeks and you increase your protection by about 5% (there's a question of value in that for another time)

But get Jab 2 after 6 weeks and your protection DROPS to 55%. How does that work?!

Don't know.  I've just read another article that states the same. 

Maybe they are missing something about these tests being done 6 or 9 months after injection or something? You can't have 76% which then reduces on second injection, I suspect the measure is taken several months down the line after both injections have occurred. 

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Don't know.  I've just read another article that states the same. 

Maybe they are missing something about these tests being done 6 or 9 months after injection or something? You can't have 76% which then reduces on second injection, I suspect the measure is taken several months down the line after both injections have occurred. 

Really confused and there hasn't been enough time between the vaccine being approved and them knowing it's effectiveness over time surely?

How can they know it's still effective 6 months later when people started being given them in late January?!

Once again, all this stuff gets pumped out in to the press but no one says 'wait a second, this doesn't make any sense...'

15 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Really confused and there hasn't been enough time between the vaccine being approved and them knowing it's effectiveness over time surely?

How can they know it's still effective 6 months later when people started being given them in late January?!

Once again, all this stuff gets pumped out in to the press but no one says 'wait a second, this doesn't make any sense...'

If you look at The Lancet the trials began in April 2020 so the first injections took place 10 months ago. The second injections in the 3 month would have been delivered 7 months ago. 

Why so suspicious? 

The Lancet is peer reviewed by top scientists. I'm pretty sure if it was nonsense it would have been called out. 

Edited by sidcow

Just now, sidcow said:

If you look at The Lancet the trials began in April 2020 so the first injections took place 10 months ago. The second injections would have been delivered 7 months ago. 

Why so suspicious? 

Not suspicious, maybe it's phrased wrong. I'm more irritated by the press than the science behind it - it's just pumped out without clarity and understanding.

Press should explain complex issues to the public, not just publish articles like the first one that make no sense whatsoever, as you agree.

In fact, it's things like that which CREATE conspiracy and suspicion as it's so strange.

1 minute ago, jackbauer24 said:

Not suspicious, maybe it's phrased wrong. I'm more irritated by the press than the science behind it - it's just pumped out without clarity and understanding.

Press should explain complex issues to the public, not just publish articles like the first one that make no sense whatsoever, as you agree.

In fact, it's things like that which CREATE conspiracy and suspicion as it's so strange.

I think if you are looking for how conspiracy and suspicion is created you should look more at social media than genuine press sources reporting basic actual facts, if not explaining them in full detail. 

I've noticed the second doses have started to creep up. 

They've mainly been doing 2-4k per day for the last several weeks. 

Early this week is was 8k odd and the last 3 days 15k plus each day. 

I assume this will now gradually increase daily till they are doing hundreds of thousands of second doses a day. 

Edited by sidcow

21 hours ago, Genie said:

Furlough scheme to be extended by 6 months... first hint about Boris’s announcement on Monday.

Yes and the universal credit top-up of £20 a week is to be extended for 6 months too. But I think they will have to make that permanent because if they take it away in 6 months many people would starve

Â